Relocation of and support for Boquete's recycling center

Bud

3 hours ago, Pat said:

My opinion is this Recycle situation has been a confusion with mixed information from the time the earlier Recycle center was closed. Sounds like too many people are trying to be in charge.

I wasn't confused at all. They closed and then they opened in the new spot they said they would open at. Anyone who asked knew that it would take them a few weeks to get set up. I'm not sure who "too many people" are. The only thing I've seen is Howard trying to get them visibility and support.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

• Administrators
23 hours ago, Bonnie said:

It would be nice to know who said this; I'm sure the Newslady didn't. But in any case, their intention was good, i.e., to get more people to recycle.

Part of the reason for missed information may be that three separate topics had been created here on CL about the same subject. In order to consolidate all of the history about the relocation of Boquete's recycling center we have merged those three topics into one. [This is the first time that we have merged content into a topic here in the News.Boquete email archive forum. It just seems like the most appropriate thing to do.]

We agree with Bonnie's last sentence, and hope that this single topic might help further the goal of getting more people to recycle.

If you want to know who was the originator of any news.boquete email, just hit the reply button/key on your computer and the name and email address of the originator will appear in the "TO" window. You don't have to actually send the reply.

News.boquete emails are forwarded to the listserver though the Thunderbird program. The main reason for using the Thunderbird program is because of the "reply to" function it offers.

Thanks Newslady for this information.

Still have to wonder why someone submitting e-mail to News Boquete (originator) would not indicate their name and their position in the organization they are talking about. (A contact phone number or e-mail would help).

Just my opinion .... for clear communication.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pat said:

Thanks Newslady for this information.

Still have to wonder why someone submitting e-mail to News Boquete (originator) would not indicate their name and their position in the organization they are talking about. (A contact phone number or e-mail would help).

Just my opinion .... for clear communication.

I can understand your confusion about that but I don't think Howard is affiliated with the recycle center. I think he is just trying to drive business their way so they don't disappear.

19 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

I can understand your confusion about that but I don't think Howard is affiliated with the recycle center. I think he is just trying to drive business their way so they don't disappear.

The newslady agrees that all persons submitting an email for distribution should identify themselves. She is working on a way to universally enforce this desire. Short of proof-reading, editing, and correcting every email that comes in, there doesn't seem to be a way to make people think about how to submit an informative, well written notice. Too many people dash off a couple of sentences on their smart phone and send it in to be put into almost 2000 email inboxes. Shows a disrespect for the service. >:(

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I agree it isn’t Newslady’s job to proof-read, edit, and correct every message sent to this free NewsBoquete service. Suggest these incomplete, confusing and disrespectful editions not be published....maybe a method to train people how to communicate.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NewsLady said:

The newslady agrees that all persons submitting an email for distribution should identify themselves. She is working on a way to universally enforce this desire. Short of proof-reading, editing, and correcting every email that comes in, there doesn't seem to be a way to make people think about how to submit an informative, well written notice. Too many people dash off a couple of sentences on their smart phone and send it in to be put into almost 2000 email inboxes. Shows a disrespect for the service. >:(

Agree.

Can you set it up so they have to automatically fill out a short form with required information before you post it? I doubt there is anything that urgent that 24 hours can wait till you receive all the information before it is posted? I think it would certainly make life easier for you.

"Too many people dash off a couple of sentences on their smart phone and send it in to be put into almost 2000 email inboxes."

Maybe time the "too many people" are either required to provide full information or let them go post their half-empty information on some other sites.

• Upvote 1

Two Sailors and Pat, I don't think you have any idea how much work goes into News Boquete. There is no form to post on BN for good reason. It adds an extra step to the already burdensome process and it discourages postings due to increased bureaucracy. I'm sure your suggestions are well meant, but the Newslady has been handling this for years and knows what she's doing, what is feasible and what isn't. It's a real labor of love, and it pains me to hear people criticizing it or suggesting that they know how to do it better.

I too have been critical of notices that are unclear, poorly written, and/or bear no name or contact information. But that's the posters' loss because I dismiss them, which is preferable to imposing a new layer of work on the Newslady.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

I don't think you have any idea how much work goes into News Boquete

Since we arrived here, News Boquete has been an invaluable source of daily information.  I can't begin to imagine life without it.  But, these posts have reminded me that this resource is a labor of love provided by someone who volunteers their time and energy to help us all.  Please don't nitpick it.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I don't think you have any idea how much work goes into News Boquete.

When I read the Pat and Sailor postings, I got three impressions, appreciation for what News Lady does, support for not publishing emails with missing but important information, and an offering of one way to solve the matter. Nothing negative in any of that.

I was not aware, but from what Keith writes News Lady pays for that service out of her pocket. Wow, what a generous and caring person she is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Two Sailors and Pat, I don't think you have any idea how much work goes into News Boquete. There is no form to post on BN for good reason. It adds an extra step to the already burdensome process and it discourages postings due to increased bureaucracy. I'm sure your suggestions are well meant, but the Newslady has been handling this for years and knows what she's doing, what is feasible and what isn't. It's a real labor of love, and it pains me to hear people criticizing it or suggesting that they know how to do it better.

Bonnie, Please re-read my post. I don't think you read it very well.  How you would ever come to the conclusion that I was criticising or suggesting that I know better how to do it then the Newslady is totally uncalled for.

To say that I and Pat have no idea of how much work goes into News Boquete is out of line. And if you read what the News Lady posted she said:  She is working on a way to universally enforce this desire'

On 11/3/2017 at 6:37 AM, NewsLady said:

I was simply making a suggestion. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

I was simply making a suggestion. 

I understood that you meant well and that you were making a suggestion. I apologize if my tone was offensive.

Penny indicated that she did not have the time to proofread, edit, and correct NB posts, so I think it can reasonably be  assumed that neither does she have the time to add an extra layer of processing (i.e., sending the suggested form).  And many NB posts are time sensitive, so the insistence on a form would bring on a whole new set of problems. Most of all, though, in light of the fact that Penny has been doing NB from the beginning and for many years, it just seemed presumptuous to suggest she wasn't doing all she could do. Clarity and completeness of information is the job of the poster; it is not Penny's job. I think we all need to keep that in mind. If you have an interest in an incomplete or unclear NB item and therefore don't want to dismiss it out of hand, you have the option of hitting the reply arrow and asking the poster for more information.  Penny is an extraordinarily accomplished woman, but she cannot spend unlimited time making up for the deficiencies of others.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, JudyS said:

Most of the time if I hit the reply button on News, I get the poster's email.  But sometimes I get only the News address.  Is this because some posters don't want to be identified, or don't want to answer questions? 

That situation can arise from one of two circumstances. One is that NewsLady is the originator of the email being distributed, and secondly would be a simple oversight by NewsLady when preparing the outgoing message. Those emails should account for less than 2% of the outgoing emails sent by News.Boquete@gmail.com.

One unfortunate side effect of the archiving procedure as News.Boquete messages get posted on CL (in the News.Boquete archive forum) is that the “reply to” header information gets striped out. That is a technology issue; not desired but it is what it is.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

Took items to the recycle center yesterday here in Boquete, and noticed what looked like many weeks of bags left inside and outside the fenced area. A messy scene. No visible staff.

Anyone know current status of this project?

I'm sorry to hear this. I was planning to take some stuff within the next couple of days.

I either walk or drive by the center 2-3 times each day and there is activity.  I've mostly seen the build up of trash, but sometimes see a big truck coming to pick up some things.  Glad I don't live near the place, but I guess it's just one of the beauty and beast things that makes Boquete (and the world I guess).  But they seem to be providing a service to some.

Many times it was the same "bags inside and outside" scenario in their former location in upper Boquete.  It's a case of too few hands for too many bags...and bags being dropped off outside the fence after hours. They do catch up and are willing, friendly and, most importantly, sincere about their business.  We need them.  No other options have become available.  (Anyone ever hear anything again about the wondrous pick up of plastics that was announced as in place a few weeks ago?  NADA)