Huge 14 Family Yard Sale Saturday March 17

NewsLady

26 minutes ago, Penny said:

This is the second time this year that it has happened. Could it be coincidence??

I have never thought to plan my yard sale around someone else's and I KNOW  I'd never check a calendar to see if it's a date no one has taken. It's a  yard sale. They're so common here now that, if you add them to the Chiriqui flea market, there may never be a Saturday without one. In fact, isn't that a thing? Get up and hit all the yard sales on Saturday morning?  Jeepers, now we have the yard sale mafia...smh

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Jim and Judi said:

I have never thought to plan my yard sale around someone else's and I KNOW  I'd never check a calendar to see if it's a date no one has taken. It's a  yard sale. They're so common here now that, if you add them to the Chiriqui flea market, there may never be a Saturday without one. In fact, isn't that a thing? Get up and hit all the yard sales on Saturday morning?  Jeepers, now we have the yard sale mafia...smh

Both of these are major yard sales, held only once or twice a year. The Handicap Foundation sale was scheduled very early, was advertised, and was calendared. It is a major part of their funding. The private sale of similar size was scheduled later. The same thing happened last year, and the Foundation particularly asked the organizers of the private sale to please not compete with them again. That said, they're both on the same side of town and are likely to attract the same crowd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Obviously, I’ve gotten my priorities wrong and my sense of community is twisted.

After all, there’s at least 14 families here who would rather squeeze a couple of dollars out of their castoffs than support an important local charity.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keith, I don’t believe your priorities are wrong or your sense of community is twisted.

Big yard sales, same day and same hours? Hope there are valid reasons for this scheduling and that people are not being inconsiderate and have no ability to plan. This sale for the Handicap Foundation is a major fund raiser for this community program.

Not using the calendar?  Oh come on. Suggest your critics try harder at seeing the big picture here.

Seriously, I can't imagine any malicious intent. Every garage sale in the history of time runs on Saturday from 8-2. Even if it was planned to coincide, well maybe dueling yard sales will bring out more shoppers. And if it's only a couple of dollars of cast offs, as Keith implies, it's not going to be a big loss to anyone anyway.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Most expats can Doug, but not necessarily locals who have limited funds and transportation, and who often make up the majority of shoppers.

My wonderful Panamanian friend looks forward to the big Handicap Foundation yard sale. She has limited funds and must use bus transportation but finds needed items at this sale. She proudly tells me about each purchase.

• Upvote 2

On receiving the email from News Boquete about this sale I queried the person organizing the garage sale, via email, & asked why they were having a garage sale on the same day as the Handicap Foundation.  The response to my email was why was I asking & what business was it of mine.  When I responded that this was one of the two big days the Handicap Foundation had in a year and that they really counted on the funds to help the needy in the area the response I received was that people love to go to more than one garage sale in a day so I shouldn't be concerned.  I then responded that this may be the case in a larger center but in this area there are limited funds and a limited # of people & that the H.F. really counted on this fundraiser.  To that I received no further response.    Surely Animales could have refused to rent their building for that particular day in support of another charitable foundation - after all, & as someone else has already mentioned , this event has been planned for quite some time.

Edited by Lorrie
punctuation correction

It's important to note that these two sales are not equivalent. At one there are 14 gringo families selling stuff at gringo prices.

You should see the Handicap Foundation building. It's packed -- every inch has shelves and tables loaded with bargains. This is the sale the local population will go to and this is the sale I will patronize.

It's impossible to calculate the impact of the private sale on the fund raising success of the Handicap Foundation sale. However, the fact remains that we asked Pat Mains last year to please not again schedule her sale on the same day as the Handicap Foundation sale and (I believe) she agreed. Yet, it was done again and done long after the Handicap Foundation had put their event into both the Ning and Chiriqui.life calendars.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Penny said:

It's important to note that these two sales are not equivalent. At one there are 14 gringo families selling stuff at gringo prices.

You should see the Handicap Foundation building. It's packed -- every inch has shelves and tables loaded with bargains. This is the sale the local population will go to and this is the sale I will patronize.

It's impossible to calculate the impact of the private sale on the fund raising success of the Handicap Foundation sale. However, the fact remains that we asked Pat Mains last year to please not again schedule her sale on the same day as the Handicap Foundation sale and (I believe) she agreed. Yet, it was done again and done long after the Handicap Foundation had put their event into both the Ning and Chiriqui.life calendars.

We left a ton of stuff at the Handicap Foundation the other day and it is amazing what will be for sale.  We dropped off an entire carton of DVDs and CDs......all in new condition.    We left a swimming pool still in the box never opened we paid $80 for and other brand new things that we cannot use.  Things like that...real deals for local folks.  I do hope with the location on the main drag they will do well this year.  We wish them well at the Handicap Foundation. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lorrie said:

On receiving the email from News Boquete about this sale I queried the person organizing the garage sale, via email, & asked why they were having a garage sale on the same day as the Handicap Foundation.  The response to my email was why was I asking & what business was it of mine.  When I responded that this was one of the two big days the Handicap Foundation had in a year and that they really counted on the funds to help the needy in the area the response I received was that people love to go to more than one garage sale in a day so I shouldn't be concerned.  I then responded that this may be the case in a larger center but in this area there are limited funds and a limited # of people & that the H.F. really counted on this fundraiser.  To that I received no further response.    Surely Animales could have refused to rent their building for that particular day in support of another charitable foundation - after all, & as someone else has already mentioned , this event has been planned for quite some time.

Animales rents its building for events. It is not their responsibility to check for competing events throughout the community. It is the event sponsor that should check the calendar and be respectful of others.

• Upvote 1