New Recycle Center: Boquete R.R.R.

NewsLady

Beginning Sunday, 07 January - new recycle center opens in Alto Boquete.  Take the first left turn after Cefati (Tourist Center at the top of the hill when exiting Boquete toward David). 

boqueterrr@gmail.com        6502-2228       8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Plastic containers, chairs, etc. (soda, juices, etc.  Please separate the caps and put them in a separate bag.)

Glass bottles

Plastic bags and sacks (like grocery bags)

All types of cans and iron

Cardboard

Paper

Tetra Pak (plasticized cardboard carton for milk and other drinks)

All types of batteries

Books, magazines, directories, notebooks

I have to wonder why anyone would announce a one-day event with, " Beginning Sunday, 07 January - new recycle center opens in Alto Boquete." I suspect there will be those who don't read the follow-up and begin dropping stuff off regularly until they are set straight. This is a good lesson in taking the time to make yourself clear when writing an announcement for general distribution.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1

This news.boquete email was sent by the non-profit recycling group. They were incredibly sloppy with their wording. They wanted the newslady to send out a correction but it's the news.boquete policy to not allow "do-overs" and to encourage everybody to proof read their emails. I believe the group had found somebody near the CR border who would take the materials the local place won't take -- like colored glass and plastics. Their intention is to load up a trailer and take the stuff to the border.

• Thanks 2

• Admin_01 changed the title to New Recycle Center: Boquete R.R.R.

Bonnie is correct. The normal recycling center doesn't accept colored glass (e.g. wine bottles) nor any kind of plastic. That is why this one day recycling fair was so valuable. The local volunteer group has found somebody over by the CR frontera who will take all that stuff and they plan on collecting it periodically and trucking it over there.

Bless their hearts.

• 2 weeks later...

The people who run the volunteer recycling program have to get organized. They are now distraught that people are taking stuff to the slaughterhouse and leaving it there. They used this facility for a one day event. They are asking people not to take stuff there except on the announced day of the special event.

I wouldn’t say that the recycling folks are not organized. I just question the wisdom of scheduling the one-day affair. Many of us knew that the likelihood for mass confusion was high. I, for one, applaud the organizers for taking on this daunting task and hope they learned from the experience.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pat said:

Too bad. Organized recycling could be a worthwhile and maybe a money making project for a group.

Needed:  IMO    Better communication.

These are dedicated folks. I don't see them giving up, and do I see them learning some valuable lessons. Let's substitute a helping hand for the criticism. As Penny says, "Bless their hearts."

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1