Doug,

You might want to attend the meeting tomorrow at BCP at 10:30AM, Tuesday, November 17th.

Rodny Direct is the topic and Rodny will be there, we presume with Mark and others. Listen and ask your question. Should be a straightforward response, not only from the stage but from the audience as well.

11 minutes ago, Doug Tyler said:

What do people feel about AAC and Bob Gregory? Rodney and his plan [with Mark H help]? Which if either should we choose?

Suggest you attend the Rodney Direct meeting at BCP tomorrow at 10:30am. Cost is $1.00 and location is the Tuesday Market near the bridge in Boquete.

These weekly meetings provide timely information and a question and answer session.

37 minutes ago, Doug Tyler said:

I am a little 'gun shy' about the BCP market. Haven't been for ages. If Rodny AND AaC were there it would be a worth going to debate. I hope I can get feedback here.

I understand Penny Barret is a board member of BCP and schedules the weekly meetings. You might check with her about the possibility of a "debate" format, assuming Rodney Direct and AAC would agree to such a program.

The "other" site seems to be focused to bulletin board activities, and I think CL can be the place for real forum discussions.  This subject deserves a good discussion, but the timing may be premature.  AAC hasn't yet provided their hotline plans for after-Rodny and they haven't identified plans for services that go beyond the hotline.

I do not see this as AAC versus RodnyDirect.  I already signed up for RodnyDirect and unless there are service issues, I don't expect to revisit that decision.  What I expect from Rodny is hotline and crime reports.  Nothing more because of his for-profit status.  At the same time, I am hoping that AAC, as a non-profit, will be a community voice that engages with city management, police, and national government officials on crime and security issues in our area -- a mini-PAC.  I will certainly provide a financial contribution to AAC for those activities and I hope that other RodnyDirect subscribers will as well.

• Upvote 1

Doug,

There is no basis for a "debate" between Rodny and AAC. Rodny runs the only professional helpline in Chiriqui. He provides a subset of  his services to AAC registrants under a fee for services contract, which will end in February. 

It makes no more sense than having a debate between, say, a professional electrician and one of his customers. 

Rodny is going to the BCP to present his services to the community and meet informally with his customers. If you find a value in what Rodny does for the residents of Boquete and would like those benefits for yourself, by all means come. If you looking for a shouting match, then you will be sorely disappointed. 

Edited by MarkoBoquete
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Woody said:

" I think CL can be the place for real forum discussions."

" I am hoping that AAC, as a non-profit, will be a community voice that engages with city management, police, and national government officials on crime and security issues in our area -- a mini-PAC.  I will certainly provide a financial contribution to AAC for those activities and I hope that other RodnyDirect subscribers will as well."

Well said Woody. 

Edited by Admin_01
relocate the comment from within the quote to outside the quote

Mark, the last thing I would ever want is a shouting match. You should know that. What I want is clarity, because safety is paramount for us. We will support whatever is in the best interests of us and the community as a whole, but we need to understand what that is. CL contributors could help us disseminate the information. We have been away for a time and need to catch up. I'm reading the Rodny Direct info posted as well as AaC material. I'm wondering how and if they would positively interact, and how we can most benefit. 

6 hours ago, Woody said:

The "other" site seems to be focused to bulletin board activities, and I think CL can be the place for real forum discussions.  This subject deserves a good discussion, but the timing may be premature.  AAC hasn't yet provided their hotline plans for after-Rodny and they haven't identified plans for services that go beyond the hotline.

I do not see this as AAC versus RodnyDirect.  I already signed up for RodnyDirect and unless there are service issues, I don't expect to revisit that decision.  What I expect from Rodny is hotline and crime reports.  Nothing more because of his for-profit status.  At the same time, I am hoping that AAC, as a non-profit, will be a community voice that engages with city management, police, and national government officials on crime and security issues in our area -- a mini-PAC.  I will certainly provide a financial contribution to AAC for those activities and I hope that other RodnyDirect subscribers will as well.

Woody. Good idea re possible role of AAC. I look forward to this organization getting a new start. Hopefully in a short time Bob Gregory will announce more details on how they plan to proceed. I, too, do not want AAC versus Rodney Direct. We need both groups providing their special talents and effort for our community.

Doug Tyler

Since you're "a little gun shy of the Tuesday market" and haven't been for ages I suggest you take a good look tomorrow. The market is booming with lots of great vendors. All of your friends and neighbors are there. Then at 10:30 about 90 of us adjourn to the theater for a great informational meeting with a speaker and lots of Q & A.

I guarantee your safety. And this particular meeting with Rodny and Mark speaking is free admission for everybody . . . except we might charge you $1 as you've been absent for so long.

9 hours ago, Doug Tyler said:

I am a little 'gun shy' about the BCP market. Haven't been for ages. If Rodny AND AaC were there it would be a worth going to debate. I hope I can get feedback here.

Why would they need to debate? They both provide a service to the community. Some are signing up for both. They aren't trying to outdo each other so why all the drama? Choose one or both. 

I certainly don't see a need for a debate.  Rodny is providing a service for a fee - good old capatilism.  But,. AAC is requeting "donations", so how much difference is there?  Seems to me that the AAC folks have their knickers in a knot because someone came in and encroached on "their" game.  Having said that, there may be a place for both, but AAC needs to get over it's lethargy and explain what kind of service they are going to provide - not in February, but now.

I don't intend to argue that there may not be a place for both organizations, but I would note that, come February, only those persons who subscribe to Rodny Direct will have the benefit of Rodny's services. Alto al Crimen may or may not hire someone else to man a hotline, but it will not be Rodny, who has the experience and the contacts. My personal preference is to support Rodny now so that he is able to better his life and that of those close to him on whose help he relies. Alto al Crimen has done very, very little in the past two years, but I certainly will support them if again they become a viable organization.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

I don't intend to argue that there may not be a place for both organizations, but I would note that, come February, only those persons who subscribe to Rodny Direct will have the benefit of Rodny's services. Alto al Crimen may or may not hire someone else to man a hotline, but it will not be Rodny, who has the experience and the contacts. My personal preference is to support Rodny now so that he is able to better his life and that of those close to him on whose help he relies. Alto al Crimen has done very, very little in the past two years, but I certainly will support them if again they become a viable organization.

agreed  ..as usual

• Upvote 1