Brunch at Jardin Encantado (aka Claudia and Dr. Sid's)

SCHUMANN'S SUNDAY CHAMPAGNE BRUNCH

By Reservation Only! This Sunday, March 5, from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM

What a great way to celebrate Sunday :-) !
Join us for a special Sunday brunch in an enchanted garden setting and enjoy a glass of Champagne on us :-) ! There is no better place to start your day! 

The Schumann's Team will be delighted to make your stay a memorable one!

We are preparing for you a sumptuous, cold and hot buffet! Delicious Pâté de Foie de Volailles, House graved Salmon, Roasted Pork, Homemade Fettuccini, different Green Lettuce, Roasted Peppers, freshly baked Breads and Rolls, Home baked Cakes, delicious Desserts and much more! 

image011.jpg.6b7ae165a8e13dc8dbb78c22cfd772f6.jpg

The Brunch is 35,00 USD per Person and includes:
Cold and Warm Buffet, Coffee, Tea, Orange and Cranberry Juice, Breads and Rolls and Tax.
All other alcoholic or non- alcoholic drinks like wine and beer can be purchased at the bar. We also serve you drinks by request. 

Please enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne (non exchangeable)! 

Please understand that we cannot serve children under the age of 15. This is a special event and therefore "Pensionado" discounts do not apply. 

Tickets can be purchased prior to the event at Mailboxes Boquete and directly at the SCHUMANN'S restaurant at Jardin Encantado. 

SCHUMANN'S Restaurant "the art of dining" at Jardin Encantado

Alto Boquete, Volcancito Road
2nd private entry to the right
after Casa Decor, Antique store

Contact Phone: 6657-5555

You received this email because you signed up on our website or made purchase from us.

Unsubscribe

• Downvote 7

You gotta be kidding. This is a joke, right? $35.00 per person for a brunch. These people should apologize for this outrageous line of thinking. And to add insult to injury, the jubilados discount doesn't apply. How do they get around the law?

• Upvote 2

That is rather steep pricing for Boquete. Like USA pricing. Although not outstanding but pretty good for the money, brunch at Hotel Nacional is worth a visit.

http://www.hotelnacionalpanama.com/es/amenidades/restaurantes.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298430-d1960707-r359509044-Gran_Hotel_Nacional_Restaurante-David_Chiriqui_Province.html

• Upvote 1

This morning, my husband and I and a group of friends went to the brunch at Claudia's. It was amazing! I believe someone posted on this website that $35 was too much....no it wasn't!! The food was so plentiful, fresh produce and home cooked. For example...there were at least 4 types of bread, home cured salmon, home made pate, about 4 kinds of cheese, cold meats, chicken, pork, meat loaf, pasta, rice salad, potatoes au gratin...then, there was fresh strawberries, various fresh fruits, home made cheesecake, 3 other kinds of gateaux, and home made chocolate mousse and strawberry mousse to die for...and a glass of champagne! The new restaurant building is coming along nicely and all in all, Claudia's brunch's and dinner's will be events worth attending.

3 hours ago, Joyful said:

This morning, my husband and I and a group of friends went to the brunch at Claudia's. It was amazing! I believe someone posted on this website that $35 was too much....no it wasn't!! The food was so plentiful, fresh produce and home cooked. For example...there were at least 4 types of bread, home cured salmon, home made pate, about 4 kinds of cheese, cold meats, chicken, pork, meat loaf, pasta, rice salad, potatoes au gratin...then, there was fresh strawberries, various fresh fruits, home made cheesecake, 3 other kinds of gateaux, and home made chocolate mousse and strawberry mousse to die for...and a glass of champagne! The new restaurant building is coming along nicely and all in all, Claudia's brunch's and dinner's will be events worth attending.

Glad you enjoyed this brunch. Also glad you can afford $35.00 each for this one meal.

If you are a friend of Claudia please ask her to lower her price and follow the law regarding pensionado discount requirements.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Pat said:

Glad you enjoyed this brunch. Also glad you can afford $35.00 each for this one meal.

If you are a friend of Claudia please ask her to lower her price and follow the law regarding pensionado discount requirements.

Why so meanspirited, Pat? It is not unusual for people to spend more for a special occasion, and it clearly was worth it to Joyful. And she wrote a lovely review for the rest of us. Are you suggesting that there should be no venues of this sort because they don't appeal to you?

12 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Why so meanspirited, Pat? It is not unusual for people to spend more for a special occasion, and it clearly was worth it to Joyful. And she wrote a lovely review for the rest of us. Are you suggesting that there should be no venues of this sort because they don't appeal to you?

Bonnie, Pat identified the cost of the event as the factor that put that event beyond her means. Is it mean-spirited to share that one lives on a limited budget? Unfortunate and perhaps uncomfortable, yes, but mean-spirited I think not.

I am glad that Joyful took the time to post a review. Her review was well done. Clearly this was an event that Joyful and her compatriots enjoyed and were able to afford.

The part about the jubilado discount that Pat raised is an issue that periodically comes up. My perspective is that the law is the law, and I don't understand how some establishments manage to circumvent it. I do know from personal experience that ACODECO (the agency that would enforce this provision of the law) has been ineffective in the few cases that I have brought to their attention. I would hope that a complaint about not honoring a jubilado discount would, at a minimum, leave a bad mark in a file folder somewhere.

Edited by Admin_01
inserted missing word
  • Upvote 1

Just for fun, here is my analysis of the jubilado/pensionado discount that would apply to Claudia's brunch:

$35 cost includes the tax, so the pretax cost becomes $32.70, allowing for the 7% tax. Of that amount, Claudia probably figures $2.00 for the guided tour of the rainforest park, which is what she has charged in at least one previous occasion. That entertainment fee is worth a 50% jubilado discount, so that's $1.00 off the price. Joyful described the buffet brunch offering which included a champagne drink (doesn't qualify for the discount), a whole bunch of appetizers (which don't qualify for the discount) and a massive dessert table (dessert doesn't qualify for the discount). So we are left with the "plato fuerte", the big ham - I'll give it an arbitrary $5.00 price tag, which attracts a discount of $1.25.

Taking the $1.00 park discount and the $1.25 ham discount against the $32.70 raw price gives you a $30.45 bill, to which you add the 7% tax ($2.13) for an all-in cost of $32.58. 

Your estimates might differ, but we're talking a difference measured in centavos.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:38 AM, Jim Bondoux said:

Just for fun, here is my analysis of the jubilado/pensionado discount that would apply to Claudia's brunch:

$35 cost includes the tax, so the pretax cost becomes $32.70, allowing for the 7% tax. Of that amount, Claudia probably figures $2.00 for the guided tour of the rainforest park, which is what she has charged in at least one previous occasion. That entertainment fee is worth a 50% jubilado discount, so that's $1.00 off the price. Joyful described the buffet brunch offering which included a champagne drink (doesn't qualify for the discount), a whole bunch of appetizers (which don't qualify for the discount) and a massive dessert table (dessert doesn't qualify for the discount). So we are left with the "plato fuerte", the big ham - I'll give it an arbitrary $5.00 price tag, which attracts a discount of $1.25.

Taking the $1.00 park discount and the $1.25 ham discount against the $32.70 raw price gives you a $30.45 bill, to which you add the 7% tax ($2.13) for an all-in cost of $32.58. 

Your estimates might differ, but we're talking a difference measured in centavos.

Interesting logic in your posting. If these are correct or close to correct financial calculations re the impact of the jubilado discount on the price of a meal, then why wouldn't a proprietor/proprietress not honor (better still even offer!) the jubilado discount to those lawfully qualified for such? Very small financial impact indeed for the restaurant owner, but think of the positive public relations coup.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bud said:

Interesting logic in your posting. If these are correct or close to correct financial calculations re the impact of the jubilado discount on the price of a meal, then why wouldn't a proprietor/proprietress not honor (better still even offer!) the jubilado discount to those lawfully qualified for such? Very small financial impact indeed for the restaurant owner, but think of the positive public relations coup.

Just a thought.

Brilliant!

Good thought, Bud - and I agree. The math suggests the jubilado discount doesn't amount to very much either way in Claudia's event, so why not offer it? As far as I could tell, she was sold out, this being one of less than a dozen similar events she's done in the past two/three years. She could have set the price at $37, given the discount as I figured it, and have still sold out with the same financial result (I saw a few faces that would have surprised me to qualify for the jubulado discount). Once she opens as a regular restaurant, which I believe is her intention, perhaps her approach will change.

The math is very different for a single-plate meal somewhere around town, say a burger at $10 with a $1 iced tea. Then the jubilado discount becomes $2.50, a big chunk of the margin on the meal.

It's my impression that the Boquete establishments that resist granting the discount are all expat-owned, and suffer negative PR as a result.