GREAT article !!!   Very well written and so very true.  You'll be caught by surprise.  The very folks you thought would die with you here will be leaving next year....the best of friends go.   The newest ones can be at your throat in a second because they have "better ides", "better ways of doing stuff' and can't stand the way you think or do things.   ( you've become "local")    In time if you stay ...you slow down, you become a bit more tolerant, you roll with the punches and get over being upset about stuff here  quicker.   So much of it really doesn't matter.   In time we forget about the conspiracy theories we talked about all the time and they don't matter either.  Suddenly what matters is the beauty of the sunrise and sunset, good health, fresh air, a loving husband, great neighbors and a sweet dog.  You stay....you're content.  Life's good.

efq1Yp.jpg

• Upvote 4

Referring to this entire thread: Interesting insight and wisdom.

It appears that Brundageba has been here longer than most. And I know Bonnie has been. Dave and Erin as well. I am in year 14 and counting.

Edited by Bud

• 2 weeks later...

Time to schedule a lube-job on your rocking chairs, old timers?

(P-p-pp-t-t-tt-TING! [hits spitoon])

I made it almost two years, until the hounds of circumstance began baying at my heels ... just another turned page in the oft-edited history book of life. You may all commence nodding knowingly and smiling sadly and sagely.

But you'd better keep on the lookout for those wily, sinister Canadians!

Guard the women,

wryawry

On 11/4/2015, 10:05:42, Bonnie said:

A friend sent me this article today about the trials and tribulations of expatriation. I thought perhaps we all could benefit from reading it.

http://www.thecultureblend.com/?p=2473

Great article.  And buried in the article is reason for the outrage against the newning direction, a useful method for goers, stayers, and newbies to interact with each other before actually getting involved with each other. Most first encounters between the 3 groups took place on oldning where Lee allowed everyone the chance to be their own self. 

• Downvote 1

On 11/5/2015, 9:44:53, Bud said:

Referring to this entire thread: Interesting insight and wisdom.

It appears that Brundageba has been here longer than most. And I know Bonnie has been. Dave and Erin as well. I am in year 14 and counting.

Me too - 11-1/2 years.

I looked at the big plaque in the BCP lobby a couple of weeks ago. It has the names of 60 or so expats who started the BCP theater 10+ years ago. These were all people who were deeply involved in the community here and we thought we'd all be here until they carried us out.

The truth is that at least 60% or more of those folks who were entrenched in our community are no longer here. Most left voluntarily for health or family reasons. A few died. But the percentage of folks no longer here is staggering.

As for me, I came in 2003 and can't think of any reason I would leave . . . as well as having no other place to go.

Every time I come down the hill from Alto Boquete and see the beautiful little village of Boquete below, it truly is a magical moment.

Those of us still here are just hoping the new people will adopt this community as their own and take over some of the ex-pat institutions like BCP, the spay-neuter clinic, etc as we're all getting old and tired.

1 hour ago, Penny said:

I looked at the big plaque in the BCP lobby a couple of weeks ago. It has the names of 60 or so expats who started the BCP theater 10+ years ago. These were all people who were deeply involved in the community here and we thought we'd all be here until they carried us out.

The truth is that at least 60% or more of those folks who were entrenched in our community are no longer here. Most left voluntarily for health or family reasons. A few died. But the percentage of folks no longer here is staggering.

As for me, I came in 2003 and can't think of any reason I would leave . . . as well as having no other place to go.

Every time I come down the hill from Alto Boquete and see the beautiful little village of Boquete below, it truly is a magical moment.

Those of us still here are just hoping the new people will adopt this community as their own and take over some of the ex-pat institutions like BCP, the spay-neuter clinic, etc as we're all getting old and tired.

Penny,

Thanks for the nostalgic moment this morning. As you know, we have had some "difficult events here", and so began a search for a different roosting place. But alas, as you say, there is "...no other place to go."

On the positive side, I especially agree with your words:

I comment to Marcelyn almost every time that we enter the valley and curve around the pine trees. It is a beautiful sight. And it is home. I guess I am part of the 40%, as my name is on that plaque at BCP and I am still here.

Bud

Ditto to all the above comments.  We're edging in on 9 years.  We never get tired of any of it.  Sometimes when on the coast and the electricity is out for 13 hours and we are sweltering hot, we moan a bit...BUT the next breath we take is one of relief that we settled in Boquete !!!! ( sorry Catalina folks, just sayin)

Just over 8 years in Panama, 18 months in Costa Rica previously. But we like the heat that you in Boquete hate. lol, We're just tropical flowers.  I lived in Seattle, WA several years and hated all the rain, mist, mold. It was pretty and green, but miserable since I grew up in So. CA where it was mostly hot and dry. Sometimes the body just will not acclimate to the changes. But we love it here in David and are in it for the long haul.

To each his or her own.  I lived in Seattle 20 years.  Loved the weather, even the rain.  I grew up in Ohio where the winters were cold and everything was grey or brown, no green.  The green in winter in Seattle and the mild winter weather was great to me.  I can bear David for a couple of hours, then I've got to get out of that heat.  If it gets over 75, I start to suffer.

• Upvote 1