Melissa Twohey, PriceSmart VP Corporate Foods, wrote this very informative explanation regarding their private label and the upcoming introduction of the pet food line.

I am happy to answer your questions!

PriceSmart has 2 private label brands:
1)      Member’s Selection – this our premium line of private label products.  We have a large variety of products under this brand, and it continues to grow each year.  
2)      Club Select – this is a private label brand that is more geared towards institutional users (restaurants, business owners), etc.  Usually the items are large format (bigger than a household consumer would typically want) so the selection is rather limited. 

We guarantee 100% satisfaction on our private label items – so if our members are not fully satisfied, they can bring it back for a full refund. 

The pet food that will be launching in the next several months is Member’s Selection – and it will be a high-quality formulation at a fantastic value.  For example – the dog/puppy food does NOT contain corn, and the first ingredient is Fresh Chicken.  We do not use by-products in our Member’s Selection pet food.  And the formulation includes proprietary probiotics and superfoods to help maintain healthy digestion and coat.  We partnered with a top-notch supplier in the US that leads the way in the industry with their quality.  I’m very excited about it!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Yes, but it is beginning to look like they are phasing out good products in favour of their own much inferior brand.  I usually buy Fresh Step clumping cat litter, now all they have in is their Members select brand, which is terrible.  If they do the same with other products I buy there I will have to reevaluate paying each year for the priveledge of being told what to buy.

13 hours ago, Pederhaney said:

My 7 year old, very picky rescue Shepusky was raised on Kirkland and refuses any other brand.  I wish they would consider stocking both...I'd like her to live another 7.

I had not considered that they might (will?) discontinue stocking Kirkland when they institute their own brand. Yes, PLEASE continue stocking Kirkland as well. They could very well discontinue one or some of the other brands that are absolute crap...Pedigree, Ascan, etc.

El Bodegon in Volcan stocks the adult 40-lb. Kirkland brand. It is much more expensive than at Price Smart, but at least that's an option.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:29 AM, Dottie Atwater said:

I had not considered that they might (will?) discontinue stocking Kirkland when they institute their own brand. Yes, PLEASE continue stocking Kirkland as well. They could very well discontinue one or some of the other brands that are absolute crap...Pedigree, Ascan, etc.

El Bodegon in Volcan stocks the adult 40-lb. Kirkland brand. It is much more expensive than at Price Smart, but at least that's an option.

FYI:  We feed our dog, Anouk, a very high quality dog food available via Kristine Berg. For more information, please contact Kris at www.howlingsuccess.com.

16 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Yes, but it is beginning to look like they are phasing out good products in favour of their own much inferior brand.  I usually buy Fresh Step clumping cat litter, now all they have in is their Members select brand, which is terrible.  If they do the same with other products I buy there I will have to reevaluate paying each year for the priveledge of being told what to buy.

Well, that is disappointing news.  Fresh Step costs a couple bucks more, but it is far superior. I was about to make another run to PriceSmart to get more.

PriceSmart said if you aren't 100% satisfied with their private label on which ever product you're buying, you can bring it back for a full refund.  If you're dissatisfied with the kitty litter, return it.  That's one way they can know whether their private label is meeting expectations.

Also, Melissa said they will be keeping both, the Kirkland and the Member's selection pet foods to see how sales go.  So let your purchasing habits do the "talking".

She also said,  "The pet food that will be launching in the next several months is Member’s Selection – and it will be a high-quality formulation at a fantastic value.  For example – the dog/puppy food does NOT contain corn, and the first ingredient is Fresh Chicken.  We do not use by-products in our Member’s Selection pet food.  And the formulation includes proprietary probiotics and superfoods to help maintain healthy digestion and coat.  We partnered with a top-notch supplier in the US that leads the way in the industry with their quality.  I’m very excited about it!"

Cats tend to be finicky, and my experience with a change in cat food especially, is that it has to be introduced slowly, i.e. buy Kirkland and a bag of the new food and mix them 35%/65% initially, with their familiar brand being the greater quantity, and gradually, mix 50%/50%.

I, like my cats, dislike change, so I'm looking forward to the introduction of the new food, and will be mixing it.  I've always fed my cats in the states, premium cat food, and to me, it sounds like PriceSmart will be selling a premium food for  an affordable price.  Once I read the ingredients, and buy the first bag, it should become clear whether it's a good product.

Dogs tend to be less finicky overall.  I have dogs too.  So I'm interested in seeing how my dogs accept the food.  With Chicken as the first ingredient and no fillers, I'm hoping for the best.

Good. I do hope they stock both brands. Re the comments about the Members Select not including corn. Kirlkand doesn't include corn OR wheat. Anyway, I'll be willing to take a look at the ingredients and then probably try it.

Three of my dogs are very finicky eaters.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
addition

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2018 at 11:34 AM, Marcelyn said:

PriceSmart used to stock Bags to Go value pack. These were 300 clean scoop bags for pick-up of dog waste. I find small packets of this product at some pet stores, but would appreciate information on where to locate a bigger supply of these biodegradable bags.

I saw them at Conway last year. Not sure of the pack/size. Second floor in the pet section.

43 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

Sassy:  can you also inquire at PriceSmart for these products (they used to stock them):

• 100% Alaskan Salmon Oil (320 count)
  • Kirkland dog biscuits (15 pound box) 

Thanks.
Marcelyn 

Yes....the dog biscuits!! They have been out for a while.

Prior to moving here, we changed our dog's diets over to Kirkland brand grain free dog kibble from a top quality grain free food from Nature's Variety...only to find the high quality grain free was no longer available at PriceSmart.  We had seen it there on our prior visits in 2015 and 2016.

The closest thing I could find is Triumph brand at the Melo's nearest the Conway/Arrocha center.  It isn't cheap but our pooches seem to be fine with it.  Both have terrible skin problems with grains.   

I hope that PriceSmart does offer the Kirkland brand grain free.  I've always trusted the Kirkland brand items and have rarely been disappointed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TwoSailors said:

Never heard of that brand. How big is the bag and how much? They have good reviews on Google. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/triumph-dog-food-dry/

A 14 lb bag of the turkey protein was $29.35.  A 28 L bag of the salmon protein was $45.70.  They also carry the Nylabone tartar control drinking water additive.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Doug said:

I am going to have to find another source of Fresh Step kitty litter now that Pricesmart dropped it. 

Most cats are finicky about what they eat but never heard of them being fussy about where they go.

We're totally happy with Member's Selection brand litter which appears to have replaced Fresh Step.

The plastic containers are probably less environmentally friendly than the plastic bag but they're useful as gardening buckets and storage.

litter.thumb.jpg.b7ea92850b6c9c8e4b0ff2defc135df4.jpg

1 minute ago, John R Hampton said:

The plastic containers are probably less environmentally friendly than the plastic bag but they're useful as gardening buckets and storage.

I prefer the bucket anyway. We reuse them or give them away. The plastic bags just end up in the trash, though possibly the new recycle center would take them. Our cat seems to have made the transition to the new litter without complaint.

I’m with Doug on this one. I’ve had cats all my life and therefore have used dozens of brands of cat litters over the years. None even comes  close to eliminating the odor like Fresh Step does. My cat may not care, but I do.