American, 71, arrested in Boquete drug raid

NewsLady

From Newsroom Panama

American, 71, arrested in Boquete drug raid

Posted on September 23, 2017 in Panama

drugs.jpgThe evidence

A 71-year-old American caught by police with illegal substances during a raid on his home in the lower Boquete district of Chiriquí was due to appear before a judge of Guarantees on Saturday, Sep 23.

Agents of the Directorate of Police Investigation(PTJ)  found a wooden chest, where there was a small metal box containing dry grass that is presumed to be marijuana and a piece of transparent reed that inside a packet of wwhite powder that is presumed to be cocaine In the living room were two transparent sachets, which contained a dry grass that is presumed to be marijuana.

The detainee was be presented to a Judge of Guarantees to legalize his arrest and make charges for possession of drugs reports El Siglo.

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Once again, the photo in the article does not match the description of what was found.

Article did say white powder as well as the weed-like substance.   Not a good idea to be doing any kind of dope here for this very reason.  Who knows why this elderly person was raided...makes no sense to me.  My  hunch is at 71 yr of age the individual will be enjoying a one way trip out of the country back home....hopefully.  Jail's not a good place in Panama.

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

True, but nothing about multiple bags of it.  The photo is labelled 'The evidence' when it clearly is not.

Yup....just a standard file photo from a reporter's photo stash.  It's just like an article recently about poisonous snakes and the photo with the article was of a non-poisonous snake.  People see that photo and will be whacking poor innocent snakes  that match the photo as a result.

On 9/24/2017 at 9:18 AM, Brundageba said:

Article did say white powder as well as the weed-like substance.   Not a good idea to be doing any kind of dope here for this very reason.  Who knows why this elderly person was raided...makes no sense to me.  My  hunch is at 71 yr of age the individual will be enjoying a one way trip out of the country back home....hopefully.  Jail's not a good place in Panama.

Hopefully he'll go to a state where sanity prevails regarding marijuana. It sounded from the description that he had just a small personal stash.  People over 70 don't get sent to jail here, so deportation is a likely alternative. Or maybe he had such a small amount, they will leave him alone. Like Bud said, this sounds like somebody turned him in as retaliation for something.

2 hours ago, JudyS said:

Hopefully he'll go to a state where sanity prevails regarding marijuana. It sounded from the description that he had just a small personal stash.  People over 70 don't get sent to jail here, so deportation is a likely alternative. Or maybe he had such a small amount, they will leave him alone. Like Bud said, this sounds like somebody turned him in as retaliation for something.

Boy you never know.   We old farts of the 60's fail to sometimes understand that the smoke and smell of marijuana that sails in the wind could be picked up by a person who truly believes that the smoking of weed is a really really bad thing.   We're not in "Kansas" where times have brought change.  Beats me why this man was nailed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Can't believe there are many left that think weed is a bad thing.  Sounds very personal to me.  Usual advice, keep it to yourself.  Even friends talk.

Many many Panamanians do not think Marijuana is a harmless  entity but in fact believe it's a  narcotic that has no place in their community.  Most Americans do not feel this way and I doubt would turn in their neighbor because they smell it in the breeze blowing their way.  If you do not agree I believe you are fooling yourself.  We're not in Kansas anymore .  Personally I would not wish to risk deportation .  I believe 100% that  you take that risk here if you smoke weed.  Not worth it.

Edited by Brundageba

2 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

And yet, we have $7.00 bottles of rum here.  I would suspect that the intolerance of some substances has a lot to do with the futile US "war on drugs" and the co-opting of this Country's government agencies into a doomed venture.  Que sera......

Well yes...probably has something to do with it.  As well you see in the news a youngster arrested with firearm and drugs.  They show a photo of a 9mm weapon along with 10 teeny packets of pot and $500 in cash.  So it's seen as a "big deal"....and believed.