Inquiry about abandoned building under construction

Marcelyn

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Unfortunately, the restaurant is putting additional pressure on the already limited parking in the area. Evenings and Wednesdays are probably the best day to go there when Sugar and Spice is closed.

Keith you bring up a very good topic re lack of parking here in Boquete. As people (many?) move into this area, limited parking can only be a bigger problem. The large shopping area being completed near Romero market will mean more crowds in the downtown section.

Do you or anyone else have information about the unfinished structure just north of Mail Box Etc.? This is a valuable space but not usable for the past few years. Do you know who owns this property or maybe why our Mayor hasn't resolved this problem?

Edited by Admin_01
split off from a different topic

That property has been like that as long as I have been here.  There is some kind of dispute about it, and there is probably legal action going on.  The mayor can't resolve it.  It's the responsibility of the courts or the parties involved to resolve it.

• Upvote 1

At one time I was interested in buying the one story wooden building that stood there before it. The current dispute involves encroaching property lines, I think. Glad I didn't buy it!

I personally have had issues with my property lines. Very very common here, but nowhere near this fiasco.

38 minutes ago, JudyS said:

That property has been like that as long as I have been here.  There is some kind of dispute about it, and there is probably legal action going on.  The mayor can't resolve it.  It's the responsibility of the courts or the parties involved to resolve it.

6 minutes ago, Pantah said:

At one time I was interested in buying the one story wooden building that stood there before it. The current dispute involves encroaching property lines, I think. Glad I didn't buy it!

I personally have had issues with my property lines. Very very common here, but nowhere near this fiasco.

This structure is a fiasco right in the middle of downtown Boquete. Wish someone would push the resolve button.

23 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

This structure is a fiasco right in the middle of downtown Boquete. Wish someone would push the resolve button.

My version of your reply would have been: "Wish someone would push the dissolve button."

The story we heard was that the guy who is building the building went 6" onto the property next door. The neighbor wants him to tear down the building or give him a million dollars. The builder doesn't like either option.....we also heard that the new mayor said that if something isn't done, he will tear it down. Construction resumed for a while, but is stopped again....

1 minute ago, Ken and Becky said:

The story we heard was that the guy who is building the building went 6" onto the property next door. The neighbor wants him to tear down the building or give him a million dollars. The builder doesn't like either option.....we also heard that the new mayor said that if something isn't done, he will tear it down. Construction resumed for a while, but is stopped again....

From what I understand, there are several encroachments on private property and the public thoroughfare as well.

The structure was built without setbacks and right to, or over, property lines.

IMO, the only way to fix the situation is to demolish the thing but the owner, Sr.Garrido, isn't going to let that happen.

So it will sit.

2 hours ago, Ken and Becky said:

I like the Mayor's idea for settling this problem.

Seems to me if this semi-finished structure remains there much longer, it will be a tear down anyway. Such an ugly "almost a building" in the middle of town. Have to wonder what Mr. Garrido hopes to gain with his approach.

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

From what I understand, there are several encroachments on private property and the public thoroughfare as well.

The structure was built without setbacks and right to, or over, property lines.

IMO, the only way to fix the situation is to demolish the thing but the owner, Sr.Garrido, isn't going to let that happen.

So it will sit.

Did Mr. Garrido get a building permit before starting construction? I was told this is a requirement with no exceptions.

5 minutes ago, JoJo said:

Maybe they should tear it down and build a parking garage? Hum. I think a lot of people would be willing to pay to park.

I like this suggestion. A parking garage would elimate some of those cars parked on the streets, double parking and make it safer to drive in town.