My Gecko Lizard

We have a gecko that lives in the upper section of our house. He (or she) is a noisy thing and "sounds off" when hearing any noise such as conversation, phone ringing, door closing, etc., and especially during the evening hours.

We've tried various and many suggested techniques hoping to get this critter to move along and live someplace else, but no luck.

Anyone have an idea on how to get rid of my unwanted guest?

2 hours ago, JudyS said:

In Hawaii it is considered good luck to have a gecko in your house.  I suggest you leave it alone and learn to love it.

Don't think that will happen. But if I catch this thing I'm willing to ship it to Hawaii in care of COD.:)

56 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

Don't think that will happen. But if I catch this thing I'm willing to ship it to Hawaii in care of COD.?

If you catch it, and give it to me and save the postage.  I really enjoy the little critters.

1 hour ago, Bajareque said:

Get a cat. The foster cat we had for the last three months hunted down and "played to death" dozens of lizards around our house.

Geckos are smart.  They stay up on the walls and ceiling where a cat can't get at them.  I've never seen one run across the floor.

There are two types of geckos in our house.  Roof geckos and dead geckos.  One of my cats is a super fast hunter ( he even caught a bat in mid air once) so the ground geckos are dead meat.  Unfortunately, he eats them, then I gotta clean up the puke.  Gotta love cats.

For the record, neither Marcelyn nor I are totally anti-gecko people. However, there are two serious issues with the gecko(s) in our home. First is that they poop all over, including on our heads. Second is that they are extremely loud, so loud that he/she/they can wake us up from sound sleep.

No cat would be of use in controlling the gecko population in our home. Our gecko(s) are ceiling gecko(s), and our ceilings are 20 plus feet high. I have yet to see a cat be able to jump that high. Further, I don't think we could (or even would try) to throw a cat (which we do not own) up to the ceiling and have the cat's claws stick there. B|

Here are two suggestions from the web:

(Of course visitors may judge you as a bit peculiar.)

Natural Control for Lizards

A couple of these suggestions come with a great deal of ambiguity. Some people swear up and down that they work great. Other people just swear at the people who told them to try it. I think they are worth a shot, social pressure notwithstanding.

egg shells on the counter

Egg shells. Lots of people swear by egg shells. If you place cracked eggshells around the house, in corners, and in windows, the occurrence of lizards should decrease noticeably. Lizards associate the broken shells with larger predators such as birds and larger reptiles.

peacock tail feathers

Peacock feathers. This works on the same principal as the egg shell idea. Lizards associate large feathers with death. Birds love a tasty little lizard snack. So decorate with some peacock feathers. Put them in a vase, hang them on the wall, bunch them together, and place them in the corners. Luckily, you don’t even have to go pluck ‘em yourself, Amazon sells peacock feathers in a pack of 100.