From a Rodny Alert member email yesterday:

"Just today we learned that Boquete is issuing permanent resident access IDs for your cars. These will be used to give residents access to the town during ferias and parades. It is unknown whether they will also be used for the security checkpoint at the Caldera turnoff in the future.

You can pick them up for each of your cars free from your local corrigidora. Knowing your vehicle license numbers is helpful."

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

From a Rodny Alert member email yesterday:

"Just today we learned that Boquete is issuing permanent resident access IDs for your cars. These will be used to give residents access to the town during ferias and parades. It is unknown whether they will also be used for the security checkpoint at the Caldera turnoff in the future.

You can pick them up for each of your cars free from your local corrigidora. Knowing your vehicle license numbers is helpful."

Same speculation. I doubt if Rodny wrote the above notice because he would have spelled Corregiduria correctly.

Edited by Keith Woolford

On 1/15/2016 at 8:39 PM, Bonnie said:

What about the rest of us who don't live in Jaramillo but cross the bridge to get home? Are the stickers only available from the Jaramillo corregidura, as suggested, or do we get ours from our own Corregidura? If they are permanent and not merely for bridge passage, will other residents be able to get them from their respective Corregiduras after the fair is over? I can't make sense of any of this.

Does Palo Alto have its own Corregidura? As a newbie here, I dread trying to find the one in Jaramillo, especially since it's an unmarked house.

The whole thing seems a bit silly since there is no way to prove that you're actually resident here or not.  What would prevent someone from David from getting one?  It seems like a possible false sense of security if the sticker is being used at security checkpoints to wave vehicles through.

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Same speculation. I doubt if Rodny wrote the above notice because he would have spelled Corregiduria correctly.

It's my understanding that Rodny spent yesterday contacting the appropriate authorities about this.

I thought it was "Corregidor" or "Corregidora." That's what my online Spanish translator tells me. (It also says that a "corregidora" is the wife of a magistrate as opposed--I guess-to a female "Corregidor.") It doesn't have "Corregidura" at all.

I've seen this spelled so many ways that everything looks incorrect now.

Edited by Bonnie

1 hour ago, Uncle Doug said:

Does Palo Alto have its own Corregidura? As a newbie here, I dread trying to find the one in Jaramillo, especially since it's an unmarked house.

Palo Alto is part of the Los Naranjos district (or whatever these local areas are called), even though it's a good distance away. According to Bud, the Corregidora for Los Naranjos is in the building across from the gym in Los Naranjos in the same building that houses the Toledano egg shop. I haven't been there, so I don't know if they have the residency i.d. cards.

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

It's my understanding that Rodny spent yesterday contacting the appropriate authorities about this.

I thought it was "Corregidor" or "Corregidora." That's what my online Spanish translator tells me. (It also says that a "corregidora" is the wife of a magistrate as opposed--I guess-to a female "Corregidor.") It doesn't have "Corregidura" at all.

I've seen this spelled so many ways that everything looks incorrect now.

Corregidor or Corregidora is the title of the official depending on whether they are male or female. Their office, which is what Marko and RD referred to, is called a Corregiduria.

Same with Personera (title of an official) and Personeria. (name of the office).

The extra syllable really defines the difference. 

Edited by Keith Woolford

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

Thanks for the clarification, Keith. Any way you look at it, the words are tough to spell and tough to pronounce if you're not a seasoned Spanish speaker. I'm glad to know this.

Absolutely, Bonnie. 

The problem is the confusion that could ensue if someone were to ask a local for a person when they're really looking for a place. 

It doesn't take much to change the meaning of a word.

image.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford

It doesn't matter if you have all the correct passes to cross the bridge and to cross in front of the fairgrounds ---- don't do it after 4 PM. Especially on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday the entire street turns into a pedestrian walkway. Not only is it very time consuming getting through, your chances of side-swiping a pedestrian are huge.

1 hour ago, Pederhaney said:

Simple registration for sticker purposes (read checkpoints here):  Vehicle paperwork, driver's license, carnet/cedula and NIS number (identifying residency) or rental agreement.  Sticker in window or front bumper should allow easy pass through via passing lane.  

What????? Others have said they got it simply by showing up at the Corregiduria with their license plate number. I don't call this simple.

Yes, I already have the bridge pass. But Penny B reported that she acquired the residency sticker with no more than her license plate number. I thought you were saying that more is now being required. I guess I had best get mine before the government adopts your thought!!

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2016 at 5:04 PM, Pantah said:

For what is worth, I asked the Boquete Municipio and they said these stickers were only available at Jaramillo Arriba Corregiduria for residents of that area. I got the info from staff in the Tesoria while paying my water and trash (up 40% by the way).

Also, new speed bumps (black and unmarked, not cool!) just above Revilla and on the street west of Calle Principal.

And where is the  Jaramillo Arriba Corregiduria please?

13 hours ago, Querencia said:

And where is the  Jaramillo Arriba Corregiduria please?

Actually, I believe the corrigadora who is located in Jaramillo Arriba serves all of the Jaramillo district . . . which is huge.

Take the first right after you pass Hotel Ladera and drive up the hill past the Jaramillo Centro road. There is a basketball court on the left side and the corrigadora's office is the next house past the basketball court.