I was going up the hill to my house today when I observed a gaggle of Panamanians stopping at the Corrigidora's office and coming out with stickers of some kind. Assuming they were resident passes for the feria, I checked it out. Much more interesting...

It appears that all Boquete residents are being issued permanent vehicle IDs. These could be for letting residents get to their houses during ferias/parades, but much more interesting, would be the logical first step to implementing a real checkpoint at the entrance to town. 

You can get your ID at your local Corrigidora office for free, but be sure you know your vehicle(s) license numbers. Cool!

IMG_1573.thumb.jpg.29199861772220bd5b321

Counter-intuitively the adhesive is on the back of the image, not the front. I don't think it was intended to be mounted outside the car, but hey, it's the thought that counts. 

Edited by MarkoBoquete
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Deborah said:

I guess I should know this after nearly 3 years of living here, but where is the Corrigidora's office?

There are different corregidors for different areas, Deborah. 

Boquete's Corregiduria is on the second floor of the Alcaldia.

Alto Boquete's was over by Amigos de Animales but I believe it's been moved.

The referenced office was probably somewhere on Jaramillo.

The office Mark is talking about is the Jaramillo Arriba corigadora. They open at 7:30 and close about 4 pm. I'm going up this morning with a couple of neighbors and we're registering about six cars. The office is located just one house uphill from the basketball court which is across the street from the Jaramillo Centro road. Of course, there is no identifying sign.

This sticker is laminated and hopefully that means we don't have to repeat this exercise every year at this time.

In the past the mayor's office has also issued the stickers. I think they are continuing to do so this year starting today (Thursday)

Edited by Penny

You take your ID (passport, cedula, or residency carnet) and your license plate number. They give you the laminated card. Because this is Panama, the card is only good for 2016 and the process has to be repeated next year.

For the people asking about the Volcancito office my question is why do you need a permission to pass through the Feria? This card only allows you to drive past the Feria during the 10 days of the Fair. If you don't live in the area, you don't need the card.

And, here's a bit of useless trivia -- the road in front of the feria is named Avenida Buenos Aires. Who knew????

4 minutes ago, Deborah said:

Penny,

Mark's post suggested these were more permanent and not related to the Feria; I suspect that is why others expressed interest, as did I.  I have absolutely no interest in traversing Avenida Buenos Aires during the Feria.

Ditto that.  

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to use laminated stickers for three evenings of traffic control, so it would be logical to assume there is a bigger "plan".  But, hey, TIP.

Mark's post saids as follows: "It appears that all Boquete residents are being issued permanent vehicle IDs. These could be for letting residents get to their houses during ferias/parades, but much more interesting, would be the logical first step to implementing a real checkpoint at the entrance to town."  It's something totally separate from a bridge pass if everyone living here is eligible to get one. The bridge passes are available at City Hall, as usual, beginning today. This is according to someone who went by for one earlier.

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Lots of speculation here.

Perhaps someone such as RD who wants the support of the community could contact Relaciones Publicas at the Alcaldia and make a clarification.

That is the best thing to do to eliminate any speculation.  Get the information from the source.    

Good advice.

For what is worth, I asked the Boquete Municipio and they said these stickers were only available at Jaramillo Arriba Corregiduria for residents of that area. I got the info from staff in the Tesoria while paying my water and trash (up 40% by the way).

Also, new speed bumps (black and unmarked, not cool!) just above Revilla and on the street west of Calle Principal.

As someone who is not a resident of Boquete, I have to Ask, what is the point?  Having a sticker is not going to stop people from driving without licenses or insurance.  If the intent is to keep people like me from spending my money in Boquete, then that's fine....

3 hours ago, Pantah said:

For what is worth, I asked the Boquete Municipio and they said these stickers were only available at Jaramillo Arriba Corregiduria for residents of that area. I got the info from staff in the Tesoria while paying my water and trash (up 40% by the way).

Also, new speed bumps (black and unmarked, not cool!) just above Revilla and on the street west of Calle Principal.

Both Mark (see earlier post) and another Jaramillo resident who telephoned me this afternoon said they got their stickers from the Jaramillo Corregidura and were told they were annual stickers recognizing everyone living here as residents of Boquete and that they also would gain them passage across the feria bridge while the fair is ongoing. This, of course, conflicts with the information Pantah received, which is that the stickers are solely for passage over the bridge during fair days and available only from the Jaramillo Corregidura.

What about the rest of us who don't live in Jaramillo but cross the bridge to get home? Are the stickers only available from the Jaramillo corregidura, as suggested, or do we get ours from our own Corregidura? If they are permanent and not merely for bridge passage, will other residents be able to get them from their respective Corregiduras after the fair is over? I can't make sense of any of this.

The Mayor needs to issue a statement--perhaps to News Boquete or Boquete News on Facebook--clarifying the issue. With all the fair-related traffic, it's a terrible time to be running around trying to figure it out. Or, as Keith suggested, maybe a bilingual person will find out and let us all know.

19 minutes ago, Pantah said:
19 minutes ago, Pantah said:

I wondered the same thing. What about the people that turn right past the bridge to go home? Being Panama, I would get a second opinion. And my info was from the Tesororia staff, not the best source maybe.

I wondered the same thing. What about the people that turn right past the bridge to go home? Being Panama, I would get a second opinion. And my info was from the Tesororia staff, not the best source maybe.

The BCP facility and Oasis are under the jurisdiction of Jaramillo.

If I'm not mistaken, everything on the other side of the bridge is Jaramillo right up to the creek at the Bailey bridge for Palo Alto.

10 hours ago, Bonnie said:

What about the rest of us who don't live in Jaramillo but cross the bridge to get home? Are the stickers only available from the Jaramillo corregidura, as suggested, or do we get ours from our own Corregidura? If they are permanent and not merely for bridge passage, will other residents be able to get them from their respective Corregiduras after the fair is over? I can't make sense of any of this.

Palo Alto residents who don't want to go home the long way around should go to the corigadora in Jaramillo Arriba. The office is the first house past the basketball court on the left side as you are going up the hill. They don't ask you where you live. They just want to log in your id and plate number.

This sticker is not a permanent identifyer and has nothing to do with anything except passing in front of the feria during busy times.

There are TWO cards. I have seen them. One is permission to cross the bridge and is obtainable from the Mayor's office. The other, which is laminated, proclaims one a resident of Boquete. It would seem that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing if the Jaramillo Corregidora is telling people that the laminated card will get them across the bridge and personnel at City Hall are sending people to the Jaramillo Corregidora for bridge passes. Still confusing.

Once again we're asked to run around like chickens, trying to get something nobody is sure we need.  I'm not going to go try to get any card until all the facts shake out.  Maybe even then it's not something we need.  And really, who cares?  Are we going to be banned from driving in Boquete without it?

• Upvote 2