Increased charges for water service

We get our water supply by Acueducto de Alto Lino. We were informed today that there will be an increase in the charges for our water service. We are provided both potable and non-potable water.

In the many years since moving here permanently, the water bill has been $50.00/year. The rate starting this year will be $15.00/month. That is more than tripling of the charges.

Water meters for each consumer may be implemented in the near future.

We received our first official (written) water bill in the new year. Wow!

In past times the cost of water was $50 for the entire year. Starting 2016 our cost for water is $15 per month or $180 for the year. That's a 260% change (increase). Or another way of saying it is that our new rate is 360% of what we were charged in prior years. That is a whopping increase.

OK, here are the new house rules: drink only wine or beer, no drinking of water, showers only on Saturday evenings and make them navy style showers. I'm sure there will be other cost of water saving ideas in the near future. Stay tuned. B|

This rate are that high because the special situation of the water system you have in the highlands of Chiriqui.   

When you get the service from the IDAAN the will place the water meters and you will be invoiced the water that you use and consume.  Even so we were told by so many foreign people living in Panama that what we are paying for the water service is very low according to the rates they had to pay at their countries.

My water account is in an average of $20/month but hold on, my four kids still live with us.  We are seven people at home that shower, use the toilet, wash their clothes and have a considerable amount of use of the water.

Perhaps the loud shouting you hear is from people living in my neighborhood. One neighbor told me she is complaining about the hugh increase in water bills "to every governmental agency including the Boquete Mayor".

Another resident said he wouldn't pay the increased costs and there is a law that the water can not be turned off if you do not pay the water bill.  True?

Suspect Acueducto de Alto Lino is just the first supplier to increase the cost of water; others will do the same.

1 hour ago, Marcelyn said:

Perhaps the loud shouting you hear is from people living in my neighborhood. One neighbor told me she is complaining about the hugh increase in water bills "to every governmental agency including the Boquete Mayor".

Another resident said he wouldn't pay the increased costs and there is a law that the water can not be turned off if you do not pay the water bill.  True?

Suspect Acueducto de Alto Lino is just the first supplier to increase the cost of water; others will do the same.

Since it appears you folks are getting your water from a private source it wouldnt do much good to complain to City Hall.

If this is the first increase you've had in many years, perhaps it's well justified.

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Since it appears you folks are getting your water from a private source it wouldnt do much good to complain to City Hall.

If this is the first increase you've had in many years, perhaps it's well justified.

Well.....an increase from $50 per year to $180 per year is a stretch. An increase of 5%,10%, 25%, 50% or even 100% would be preferred. Or maybe a gradual increase each year could be possible.

I'm in favor of a meter system where each household pays for water consumed. One owner in our neighborhood has a lawn sprinkler operating 24hours per day. 

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

Our water bill was around $100 a month in Southern California. And this was before the mandatory 25% water reduction for each home and business and the 20% increase in water bills and over water usage charges.

Be happy with what you got!

And Boquete garbage collection increased to $60 per YEAR for 2016.  My mom living in Northern California pays $70.70 per MONTH for her garbage collection.

Be very, very happy with what you got!

• 3 weeks later...

I pay my water bills for two houses in the Jaramillo Arriba neighborhood for the entire year every January. No change for me at all this year. Total bill for two houses was $32, same as last year. The $32 includes a little discount for paying for the entire year.

What a bargain !!!!!!

18 hours ago, Penny said:

I pay my water bills for two houses in the Jaramillo Arriba neighborhood for the entire year every January. No change for me at all this year. Total bill for two houses was $32, same as last year. The $32 includes a little discount for paying for the entire year.

What a bargain !!!!!!

Miss Penny, can I borrow water from you? Willing to bring my own bucket.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one more story on our water bill woes.

Because we were not at home when the bill collector came, we "lost" the discount ($9.00) for early payment.

And a P.S. ---- the monthly bill was a whopping $15.00, which is three times what it was last year. ($4.17). In checking with a few neighbors, it appears to be different rates for different homes. Our home is one of those on the higher rate table. How does this work???