A 50 year old lawyer, Leyda Montero Rudas, was gunned down in front of her home on the Via Rapida in David this evening.

Investigators from the Public Ministry are on the scene and the street has been closed for several hours.

There is speculation as to whether this killing was the result of a botched robbery or a contract hit.

40 minutes ago, Penny said:

This is horrible news. Leyda is/was the lawyer for the Amigos de Animales in Boquete and also did some work for the BCP.

I pray they find the killers.

At this point, it appears that robbery was not a motive. According to this Panama America report, the killers asked for her by name and shot her point blank in the head and thorax before leaving on foot.

image.png.f06d9ba1ff35fcff264fc4d8ecab1b74.png

Being located on the Via Rapida or Calle de los Muertos, I'm sure we've all driven by her home.  RIP

http://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/desconocidos-matan-tiros-abogada-en-su-propia-casa-en-san-mateo-david-1105438

Edited by Keith Woolford

6 hours ago, Ahren Grauer said:

Sad news. I knew her very well. I'm crushed.

I am just devastated too.  As a family with quite a few lawyers (none of which has ever sued anyone, just hard working prosecutors and corporate types), it has always amazed me how much people hate "all lawyers", until they need one.  And, don't get me started on the number of times they are asked for "free advice" if they haven't spoken to us before except at a PTA meeting.

Leyda had a mother and a daughter, was a smart, hard-working advocate for her clients.   Some people, like my neighbor, have already told me how happy they were she was killed and that she "got what she deserved, karma...."   I KID YOU NOT!!!   What on earth is wrong with people????   

My thoughts are with the poor family.  I hope they solve this case quickly.  

Edited by Palo Alto Jo

What reason would your neighbors have for saying she got what she deserved???? Because she was a lawyer???

I ask all of you to look around in this community and you will find many retired lawyers doing very good things for this community.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Palo Alto Jo said:

Leyda had a mother and a daughter, was a smart, hard-working advocate for her clients. 

I've been copied on a number of condolences for this woman that have a common thread.

"She did good work for us, always going above and beyond to help.."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

I've been copied on a number of condolences for this woman that have a common thread.

"She did good work for us, always going above and beyond to help.."

That's so good to hear.  I guess my neighbor is that one idiot who thrills at the death of any lawyer.  Her husband was thrown out of Leyda's office for screaming at her, leaning over her desk shaking his finger in her face.  She told him to get out!!  And she was HIS lawyer.  Some people are just unreasonable nut cases. 

I'm sure you're right, most people loved and respected her as a HUMAN.  Good to hear your positive words,  thanks!

21 minutes ago, Penny said:

What reason would your neighbors have for saying she got what she deserved???? Because she was a lawyer???

I ask all of you to look around in this community and you will find many retired lawyers doing very good things for this community.

I was shocked she said it, but she and her husband are very vocal on their hatred for lawyers.  She sent me 6 smiley faces, with tears of joy...  just darn gleeful.  I will never speak to these nuts again.  I'm sure they are the rare people, and most people don't jump up and down for joy at anyone's murder.  When I told her I was absolutely appalled at her reaction, she said "f-you Jo, I'm allowed to speak my opinion".  Wow.  I'm saving that text for forever, in case I'm ever tempted to forget she actually said it. 

Edited by Palo Alto Jo
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Palo Alto Jo said:

I was shocked she said it, but she and her husband are very vocal on their hatred for lawyers.  She sent me 6 smiley faces, with tears of joy...  just darn gleeful.  I will never speak to these nuts again.  I'm sure they are the rare people, and most people don't jump up and down for joy at anyone's murder.  When I told her I was absolutely appalled at her reaction, she said "f-you Jo, I'm allowed to speak my opinion".  Wow.  I'm saving that text for forever, in case I'm ever tempted to forget she actually said it. 

Nut job. We have more than our fair share of those here. You sometimes have to have thick skin and a short memory.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Penny said:

Nut job. We have more than our fair share of those here. You sometimes have to have thick skin and a short memory.

Penny, one additional note on this subject and then I guess I'll have to move on.  These neighbors work with the animal spay and neuter clinic.  I think that is great, but I'm sure they don't have any idea that even charities need an attorney.  Nothing against animals, but how can they care more for animals than humans?  They aren't vegans or anything.    As I said,  I think they do not consider lawyers "humans".   NUTS FOR SURE!!

Edited by Palo Alto Jo

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leida Montero was my friend.   I had difficulty in getting her to submit invoices for her work.  She definitely was not motivated by greed. It just sickens me that her daughter saw her mom get shot in the face.  I really have no words for those who took pleasure from her murder.  It's really hard to comprehend.

I don't know why she was murdered. She certainly didn't deserve it.

• Sad 2

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Declaran culpable a cómplice en el homicidio de abogada chiricana y piden pena máxima

Se tiene previsto que para el 26 de junio se haga la lectura de sentencia.

Flor Bocharel Q.
12 jun 2020 - 12:31 PM

https://www.prensa.com/provincias/declaran-culpable-a-complice-en-el-homicidio-de-abogada-chiricana-y-piden-pena-maxima/