Right Turn

Pat

Lots of funny answers in this topic. The real answer is that you can turn right on red in Panama. But not if you're turning into a one-way street going the opposite direction.

Here's another couple of little driving tip for David. We all know that the one-way streets aren't well marked and that not all intersections where you are supposed to stop have stop signs. So here's some tips:

1. One way streets -- if the center line is yellow, it is a two way street and you have to stay on your side of the yellow line. If it's a one way street, the center line is white. The majority (not all) of parked cars will tell you which way the one way is going.

2. Stop signs -- if there isn't one on your side of the intersection always look diagonally across the intersection for the backside of a stop sign. Also know that streets parallel to the Pan American are through-fares (i.e., no stops) and streets perpendicular to the Pan American are stop streets. Sometimes difficult to figure out as the Pan American takes a big curve in David. Also, the Via Rapida is an exception. The Via Rapida is the one way street that runs from one side of David to the Pan American next to Cochez.

traffic.jpg.563fda398949b7903563d8d55db2

Pat

Nothing in my post about left turns. In fact I've had two tickets for illegal left turns and the fine increases every time. $50 the first time and $75 the 2nd time.

A funny story . . . I protested my first illegal left turn stop to the policeman by saying there wasn't any sign that said I could not turn left. He quickly replied that there's no sign that said I could turn left.

• 2 weeks later...

The way everyone is always dinging the taxi drivers, I must have the only GREAT driver in Panama. He's wonderful. He doesn't speed or drive reckless, uses turn signals, wiper blades when it rains, headlights when it's dusk. Keeps the truck in great running order. What more can I ask? I've used him exclusively for nearly 6 years because of it. Not to mention he's just a great young man.

There are gold nuggets out there - I had one such driver when I lived in Panama City.   He was a tiny man and drove a Crown Victoria (huge car).   He called it his FBI car.   Never in a hurry and everyone seem to get out of his way.   I always laughed because I think if you were on the outside looking into the car, you would probably only see his hands on the giant steering wheel and the very top of his head.   He was a real treat.

On 12/3/2015 at 6:28 PM, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

There are gold nuggets out there - I had one such driver when I lived in Panama City.   He was a tiny man and drove a Crown Victoria (huge car).   He called it his FBI car.   Never in a hurry and everyone seem to get out of his way.   I always laughed because I think if you were on the outside looking into the car, you would probably only see his hands on the giant steering wheel and the very top of his head.   He was a real treat.

When we drive to PC, we park our car at the hotel and use a taxi to get us to our destination in town.

These trips remind me of my friend during a taxi ride in Paris. This woman was stretched out (face down) on the back seat floor of the taxi too scared to move or scream. My job was getting her out of the vehicle in time to avoid a double fare charge. Once was enough for me.:D