In front of the Atlapa Convention Center is the place where you can affiliate your card and get the Panapass sticker for using the toll ways in Panama City.  You will easily find them.  

030714-pa-6-5-01.jpg       Sticker_Panapass.jpg

They will install in your car windshield a sticker like the one shown here:

PANAM---Panapass-prepago-se-inicia-en-co

Requisites:

You have to be there with your ID or Cedula.  Have with you the Car Register Document or Registro Vehicular.  

Payment methods:

There are two options.   

1.  Prepaid account.  If you will use the toll roads not frequently this will be the most convenient.  You can recharge your Panapass in some stores in Panama.  Your balance will be shown in the toll both.  There is an Android and Iphone app to check your balance.

PanapassInfo.jpeg

2.  Postpaid account.  If you are a frequent user this will be the most conveniente method.  Your Panapass account will be affiliated to your credit card.   Every week or every 2 weeks you will be charged for the amount of use you have had.

Here is the Toll road administrators website were you can get more information.  It is in spanish only.

http://www.enacorredores.com/

It is my understanding from the driver that we use while in PC that cash is NOT accepted at the Panapass toll booths. You MUST have their Panapass card, or there are stiff penalties. I am only relaying what I have been told, not basing this on first hand knowledge.

2 hours ago, Bud said:

It is my understanding from the driver that we use while in PC that cash is NOT accepted at the Panapass toll booths. You MUST have their Panapass card, or there are stiff penalties. I am only relaying what I have been told, not basing this on first hand knowledge.

Yes, I accidentally took the wrong fork at Albrook and entered the toll road. I realized my error in less than one second.  Too bad.  

You may be able to discreetly work it out with the officer at the side of the road, but there is no way to simply pay a toll, or apologize and turn around. Once you are on the onramp without a Panapass, it's going to be no fun at all.

This notice concerning fines for infractions committed on the Corredores was published in today's LaPrensa.

Imagen de como conductores rompen las barreras en los corredores Norte y Sur.

ATTT Transit Authority: Electronic Fines come into effect

From this Monday, 18 July, a new method of electronic fines will be used by the Transit Authority (ATTT) to punish drivers who commit offenses along the northern and southern corridors.

This is the so called "electronic fine" which is to punish the users of the corridors that do not have a balance on their PanaPass when they reach the toll booth. The notification of the fine will get to your registered email address at the time you have installed the PanaPass.

On many occasions, the National Company of motorway (ENA) has reported that there are drivers who have no balance but cross anyway despite that the mechanical arm is down.

Also, cameras will be used to punish those who commit traffic offenses on these highways, as for example, driving on the shoulder.

Equally sanctioned will be drivers who leave or pick up passengers on these fast roads.

http://www.prensa.com/sociedad/Autoridad-Transito-multa-electronica-corredores_0_4530297005.html

This article is somewhat redundant to Keith's posting above, but what the hey -- different words and some more graphics to drive home (pardon the pun, I just couldn't resist) the fact that scofflaws will be pursued.

Candid cameras in clamp down on corridor baddies

Posted on July 16, 2016 in Panama

ATTT-ENA-utilizaran-infractores-corredor
Post Views: 119

A CAMERA aided crack down on erring motorists  will begin on the North and South corridors on Monday, July 18.

Try this and your fine will appear in the mail.

Try this and your fine will appear in the mail.

A key target for the  Transportation  Authority (ATTT)  will be drivers whose PanaPass balance has expired  but continue driving  even with the mechanical arm down.

Drivers who drop off or pick up  passengers on the corridors, including buses and pirates  will also be photographed and fined.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/candid-cameras-clamp-corridor-baddies

I can't be absolutely certain, but I believe that if you read everything provided above you will find that your vehicle must be presented at the Panapass facility in PC, along with ownership and identity documents. That pretty much leads to a conclusion that you must go to PC to get the Panapass.

On 7/17/2016 at 11:05 AM, Vista Encanto Cafe said:

No one answered one of my original questions. Is there a way  to get a pass before getting to Panama City?

No. There is no way.

I thought that the information presented was clear.

You must travel Panama City. Bring your car and registration.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Defaulters towed in Panapass blitz

blitz.jpg

Posted 15/10/2019

A driver who owed $1,500  on a Panapass and another owing $800 had their vehicles towed during an operations on the south corridor by the National  Police Directorate of Traffic Operations and the Transportation Authority (ATTT) on  Monday, October 14.

At  the Atlapa checkpoint 45 fines were imposed, of which 41 were for drivers who did not have a balance to travel on these

“During the operation, carried out at noon, a driver was detected who was not licensed and also owed $1,5000 in Panapass and the other, a citizen who had a debt of $800. Both vehicles were towed by crane” said the National Highway Company (ENA).

According to ENA, in the previous four operations 81 fines were placed for low balance and another 36 for other situations such as disorderly driving, traffic obstruction, and contempt, among others.

The debt is owed to ENA, for the use of the access gates, amounts to about $3 million.

https://www.newsroompanama.com/news/defaulters-towed-in-panapass-blitz-1

• 2 years later...