Crematorium in Chiriqui

Keith Woolford

22 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

press photos of protests last yearno_al_incinerador_2.jpg

thumb?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.panamaamerica

Un grupo de residentes de San Pablo Nuevo, en David, en oposición al proyecto de instalación un centro de cremación en el cementerio de Las Acacias. / Iván Saldaña | La Estrella de Panamá

Where is their scientific evidence?  I think these protesters should be made to prove  the claims posted on their signs.

8 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Keith:  I read "Coughing from Coffins" essay.

Learned crematorium emissions "might be dangerous" and in ground burial is too expensive.

Is the solution Don't Die?

Science has catalogued numerous physiological complications resulting from a wide variety of chemical compounds that are routinely utilized to color fabrics and textiles. Don't dye.

16 hours ago, Pat said:

Where is their scientific evidence?  I think these protesters should be made to prove  the claims posted on their signs.

What a naïve and foolish thing to say - like the protesters have an obligation to prove it to you Pat.

Edited by Esther
clarity

Too many protest groups get away with stuff because they make outlandish claims that " x" causes " y" without any proof.  But when proponents want to go ahead the protestors claim that proof is needed from them.  Level the playing field, if you want to claim that emissions cause cancer or whatever, state your case along with peer reviewed proof.  That works both ways, but the responsibility lies with the group making the original claim, not the other way around. 

• Upvote 1

It is very common that when there are some interests of a particular group of persons and some of them are called "green people" against a business, power tower, cell phone tower, etc.  they look in the internet for articles and writtings claiming that the particular business they are opposing will cause damage health in different ways.  So those people organize meetings at the community and spread the rumour about the damage that business will make to the community and they model the community opinion toward that particular business.  Their final action is to organize demonstrations on the streets to protest against that particular business.  

Panama America is reporting this morning that the protesters in San Pablo Viejo have been successful and the crematorium will not be built where it was proposed.

Decision

Court notifies MiAmbiente

The regional director of the Ministry of Environment in Chiriqui, Yilka Aguirre, confirmed that it was notified by the Superior Court of Justice of the admission of amparo guarantees, that orders the suspension of the project.

"Effectively the Superior Court of Justice notified me about the resolution, which leaves without effect the environmental impact study that leaves without effect the construction and location of the incinerator," said the official.

Given this step, the Ministry of the environment is outside the item because under guarantees and is only to comply with the provision that provides for the suspension of the work on a temporary basis. The project should look for another place and have a new environmental impact study where intend to build the incinerator of corpses."

13607980.jpg

The full article is here

http://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/mas-de-mil-habitantes-de-san-pablo-viejo-ganan-batalla-ante-incinerador-1024173 

freetranslation.com

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Panama America is reporting this morning that the protesters in San Pablo Viejo have been successful and the crematorium will not be built where it was proposed.

Decision

Court notifies MiAmbiente

The regional director of the Ministry of Environment in Chiriqui, Yilka Aguirre, confirmed that it was notified by the Superior Court of Justice of the admission of amparo guarantees, that orders the suspension of the project.

"Effectively the Superior Court of Justice notified me about the resolution, which leaves without effect the environmental impact study that leaves without effect the construction and location of the incinerator," said the official.

Given this step, the Ministry of the environment is outside the item because under guarantees and is only to comply with the provision that provides for the suspension of the work on a temporary basis. The project should look for another place and have a new environmental impact study where intend to build the incinerator of corpses."

13607980.jpg

The full article is here

http://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/mas-de-mil-habitantes-de-san-pablo-viejo-ganan-batalla-ante-incinerador-1024173 

freetranslation.com

Plans have been buried ...

Just sharing here. My initial reaction to the protest was less than nice. Then I did some moderately deep research because of a comment made to me in private by one CL member.

Yes, there is fringe loonie component to some of the opposition literature, but I found what appears to me to be legitimate scientific documentation about the risks to humans (living humans, that is) based on the incineration of toxic elements found in the human body. One for instance is that as little as one gram of mercury (such as that contained in dental fillings, for instance) can be toxic when raised to the temperatures used in the cremation process. And it is not uncommon for some people to have as much as four grams of mercury in their body.

These issues/risks, meaning toxic fumes, can be controlled or mitigated by proper design, filtering, and operating procedures. That would, of course, raise the costs involved, both in the building of the infrastructure as well as in the operation of a crematorium. It then could (should?) be a business decision as to economic viability.

The above comments ignore the emotional elements and the cosmetic elements of this topic.

I see that on May 24th at Boquete's Tuesday Morning the subject of the talk will be about the crematorium.

Tuesday, May 24 – Jose Arias will speak his business Memorial Group which owns a private cemetery a new funeral home and his brand new crematorium in David.

In deference to the emotionally-fraught necessity to develop a dignified and environmentally sensitive means of gently and responsibly handling human remains, research scientists have invented the Human Cannonball (tm) device to assist with long-range burial-at-sea.