What Every Potential Expat Should First Consider Before Moving To Panama'

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

Recent post on .Ning:

"We're leaving"...................

"We decided to move, we have little kids and realized pretty fast it is not safe to raise kids here. We met a lot of conartists who live in Boquete and try to convince people that this is a great place to raise kids, very safe, and that the economy is booming here and it's easy to make a living. Completely untrue!!! Where we live in the US it is very safe, and you do not need bars in the windows nor security systems. I have traveled a lot, and I dislike Panama the most as people constantly try to rip you off and lie like crazy. By the way, I am originally from Europe so I know how life is both in Europe and US. I have never met a culture that is so rude and openly hostile towards white people. Living in denial does not excuse you from reality. Sooner or later reality will make you pay."

I just read the above a few minutes ago and was interested to see when the first post on Ning appeared from this individual.  It was April 2015.  Unfortunate that a failure to do prior research before moving an entire family lock, stock and barrel to a foreign country ends up in a rant against the people of that country and the country itself.  This family is leaving angry.  By their perception they have been ripped off.  They are returning back to their prior home where bars on windows are not necessary nor are security systems...and there, nobody rips you off nor cons you.  People there are not rude nor openly hostile.  Well I hope it works out that way for them.  This is an example of what so many of us predicted not so very long ago.  My question is...where did they get their information prior to leaving and settling here with their children?

IMO this attitude of "blame another person" for my mistake is predictable of someone who didn't do research and investigate before moving to Panama.

Sad, and I feel sorry for those children.

• Upvote 2

Sorry for the entire family.  Moving here with your stuff then moving back will cost them financially as well as emotionally.  The children are left with exposure to a bitterness their parents express towards foreign countries and their people.  That's unfortunate.  If I had that mindset garnered from my parents I doubt I'd be here .  We've had a happy 8.5 years and in spite of dealing with changing laws and crime ...we will enjoy ourselves here . Rolling with the punches is just part of life...anywhere.    if we leave, we will leave happy...not bitter nor angry.  If will just be the start of a new adventure.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Sorry for the entire family.  Moving here with your stuff then moving back will cost them financially as well as emotionally.  The children are left with exposure to a bitterness their parents express towards foreign countries and their people.  That's unfortunate.  If I had that mindset garnered from my parents I doubt I'd be here .  We've had a happy 8.5 years and in spite of dealing with changing laws and crime ...we will enjoy ourselves here . Rolling with the punches is just part of life...anywhere.    if we leave, we will leave happy...not bitter nor angry.  If will just be the start of a new adventure.

I wish more people had a wonderful attitude like you.❤️

• Upvote 1

They said:  " We  met a lot of conartests who live in Boquete and try to convince people that this is a great place to raise kids, very safe, and that the economy is booming and it is easy to make a living"

a lot of con artests : meaning more than one?   trying  to convince: what would be their gain?  Very safe:  there were home invasions before we got here 8.5 yrs ago and since Panama became Panama my hunch is bars on windows were the norm for most in the middle class.  Did they even visit?  Booming economy: Better than most....but that does not insure you can earn a living enough to support your family, educate the kids and afford health care

• Upvote 1