Some months ago I heard a rumor that a cremation facility was going to open in David.  Does anyone know anything about it?  If there is no facility in David, does someone have experience in making arrangements for the one (or more) in Panama City?

ashes.jpg

Edited by Franagain

Last week a friend's mother died in Boquete. She sent the body to Panama City to be cremated and received the ashes back in David within two or three days. I visited with her after the death and heard about many problems associated with it, but cremation was not one of them.

• Upvote 1

There is a new cremation facility in David that was due to open in January but has been a little delayed because of some problems getting equipment shipped in from the U.S. The same people own the cemetery. The guy who is in charge is named Jose Arias and we're trying to arrange for him to make a presentation at the BCP Tuesday Talks.

Here is the email I just got from Jose Arias asking him when his crematorium would be operational:

Hi Penny, how´re you?    Right now we´re at the end of the construction of the Funeral Home....The Cremation equipment its already here,but we wont be ready until March,at the most April....We need some people from the US Company to come down to Panama and train our workers,and that´s gonna take some time....All this things sometimes take longer than expected Penny...Im gonna get in touch with you soon......Thanks, Jose

Edited by Admin_01
added quote formating for the referenced text

Below are the instructions that my lawyer provided for me and which worked perfectly.

EL RETIRO FUNERAL ASSOCIATION 
What to do in case of death.
1.	To call the doctor, who moves to the place, to do the clinical report of the death
2.	If it occurs during office hours from (8:00 to 12:00 or 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm)   call the number 774-7165 so the personnel of the association will come up to the house and pick the corpse up and go to the Funeral Association Place.   
3.	If it happens out of the office schedule. Call any of these numbers:
•	6510-1823   Mrs. Elma
•	772-3715 or 6696-0314   Mr. Daniel
•	6226-5035   Mrs. Marisol.
•	These people will show up in order to pick the corpse up. 
4.	The funeral association will be responsible for transporting the corpse to Panama for the cremation.   Important to have:
•	Copy of the personal I.D (cedula) or passport of the deceased person.
•	Copy of the personal I.D or passport of the person who allows the cremation.
5.	The corpse will be taken to Panama City on a metal tray in the funeral vehicle.
	If you want you can rent a coffin so that the corpse does not go on a metal tray. (The rent of a coffin would cost 150 dollars).  This is up to you.
6.	If you do not want to move the corpse to Panama the same day because you want to wait for something in particular you have to pay 45 dollars per day for the use of the morgue.
7.	The cost of transporting the corpse from Palmira to Panama City and cremation is of 1583 dollars.
TRANSPORTATION OF THE ASHES.
In COPA Airlines and if someone takes the ashes.
•	No cost and can be carried as hand luggage or in the hold of the aircraft.
•	The urn must allow seeing the content.
•	It must be made of wood or plastic. (due to the x rays)
•	It must be packed with something to cushion the blows.

Below are the instructions that my lawyer provided for me and which worked perfectly.

EL RETIRO FUNERAL ASSOCIATION
What to do in case of death.
1. To call the doctor, who moves to the place, to do the clinical report of the death
2. If it occurs during office hours from (8:00 to 12:00 or 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm)   call the number 774-7165 so the personnel of the association will come up to the house and pick the corpse up and go to the Funeral Association Place.  
3. If it happens out of the office schedule. Call any of these numbers:
• 6510-1823   Mrs. Elma
• 772-3715 or 6696-0314   Mr. Daniel
• 6226-5035   Mrs. Marisol.
• These people will show up in order to pick the corpse up.
4. The funeral association will be responsible for transporting the corpse to Panama for the cremation.   Important to have:
• Copy of the personal I.D (cedula) or passport of the deceased person.
• Copy of the personal I.D or passport of the person who allows the cremation.
5. The corpse will be taken to Panama City on a metal tray in the funeral vehicle.
 If you want you can rent a coffin so that the corpse does not go on a metal tray. (The rent of a coffin would cost 150 dollars).  This is up to you.
6. If you do not want to move the corpse to Panama the same day because you want to wait for something in particular you have to pay 45 dollars per day for the use of the morgue.
7. The cost of transporting the corpse from Palmira to Panama City and cremation is of 1583 dollars.
TRANSPORTATION OF THE ASHES.
In COPA Airlines and if someone takes the ashes.
• No cost and can be carried as hand luggage or in the hold of the aircraft.
• The urn must allow seeing the content.
• It must be made of wood or plastic. (due to the x rays)
• It must be packed with something to cushion the blows.