Chili Challenge - Submit Your Chili!

When I read Keith's comment I thought that he was wrong. But then rereading their advertisement says that he is right.

These guys are confusing the public and loosing out on a good deal. Why even have a chili cook-off if the public is not involved?

I'm writing this event off to bad management. Why even advertise this?

• Downvote 1

I doubt it's a pre-event event because then contestants would have to make their chili twice. I believe what it means is that judging this year will be by professional chefs rather than popular vote, which some have complained was largely a popularity-of-the-cook contest and/or that cooks would recruit friends and family purely for the purpose of voting for them. I think I am safe in saying that the event will be held on September 2 (it's on the CL calendar), that everyone will be invited (they always have been because this is a fundraiser), and that there will be an entrance fee to sample all the chilis (again, because this is a fundraiser). I'm sure there will be follow up by AdA directed toward the general public.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheila Strunk said:

Bonnie is correct - this is a flyer soliciting local cooks to submit their chili for the competition, which WILL be open to the public.

Further announcements regarding the public invitation to attend the event will be coming soon!

Thanks, Sheila, for the clarification -- and the good news.

I am a bit curious why the voting for the best chili is being taken away from the public. That is part of the fun of this event, imho.

Bud, I'm sure you can understand that sometimes there are no-win situations!  We have had complaints in the past about attendees voting for their friends rather than for the best chili, so we decided to change it up this year.   Judges (3 local restaurateurs - yes, that is the correct spelling) will be tasting all the entries but will not know who submitted them.  We'll determine after the event whether we should return to public judging next year!

55 minutes ago, Sheila Strunk said:

Bud, I'm sure you can understand that sometimes there are no-win situations!  We have had complaints in the past about attendees voting for their friends rather than for the best chili, so we decided to change it up this year.   Judges (3 local restaurateurs - yes, that is the correct spelling) will be tasting all the entries but will not know who submitted them.  We'll determine after the event whether we should return to public judging next year!

Sheila,

Perhaps you guys should have two contests for best of, one for the public and one for the chefs.

There IS no contest for chefs - Boquete residents are being asked to make and submit their chili, and those entries will be judged by local chefs.  The ONLY difference between this year and last is that the judging will be done by professionals in the food industry and not by attendees.