Question About Cleaning Residue Soap Film From Glass Blocks Around a Shower

Admin note as of 2 February 2017, 7:40PM Boquete time.

This topic was split out from a separate topic at http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/4855-condo-for-rent/. The reason for doing that is that the replies were "off topic" -- good questions, but off topic. Refer to the following note of the originator of the source topic:

2 hours ago, Los Bickford said:

While this is a interesting discussion, I wonder if we can take it somewhere else?  I keep getting excited to see a notice, thinking someone is interested in renting, only to find it is just more interest in how to clean the shower.  BTW if you know anyone interesred in renting could you please pass on my ad?  Though maybe I should take the bathroom pic out.  ?

Can I ask you how you clean the glass block on the shower?  I can't get the soap film off with anything.  I think Lime Away would work, but I've never seen it here.  I have tried everything but oven cleaner on it.

17 hours ago, Los Bickford said:

Actually we haven't had a problem, we use a squeegie after showering and when we clean we just use a scrub sponge with a bleach based shower cleaner.  Our water doesn't seem particularly hard here.

This got away from me.  I thought my cleaning lady was cleaning the glass brick, but she wasn't.  By the time I discovered it, it was beyond a simple sponge and cleaner.

While this is a interesting discussion, I wonder if we can take it somewhere else?  I keep getting excited to see a notice, thinking someone is interested in renting, only to find it is just more interest in how to clean the shower.  BTW if you know anyone interesred in renting could you please pass on my ad?  Though maybe I should take the bathroom pic out.  ?

Sorry, Los. You're absolutely right. I meant to private message Judy but somehow messed up.

Just a note: I'm not in the market to rent, but I know people who are. Everyone looking for a rental wants to know the monthly cost. There's no use wasting your time or theirs if the rental fee doesn't fit their budget.

16 hours ago, Bonnie said:

The Internet says to use half water and half vinegar. Apply the mixture and leave on for five or ten minutes. Cheap, so worth a try. I think a good brush is a must.

Tried that.  It didn't do a thing.  Nor did baking soda.

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2017 at 5:25 AM, JimAndNena said:

I've never heard of the Bar Keepers Friend. In checking the Internet, I see two versions of that product: 

• liquid, and
  • cleanser and polish.

The picture in your referenced website shows the liquid version. Can we presume that is the version that works best?

The most important question is whether Bar Keepers Friend (either version) is available here locally. If so, where? Or does it have to be ordered online?

Can anyone provide answers as to version to use and more details on local availability?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bud said:

I've never heard of the Bar Keepers Friend. In checking the Internet, I see two versions of that product: 

• liquid, and
  • cleanser and polish.

The picture in your referenced website shows the liquid version. Can we presume that is the version that works best?

The most important question is whether Bar Keepers Friend (either version) is available here locally. If so, where? Or does it have to be ordered online?

Can anyone provide answers as to version to use and more details on local availability?

Hola Bud,

I have used Soft Scrub cleaner with equal results, this link will give you its chemical make up:

https://www.softscrub.com/products/soft-scrub-all-purpose-cleanser/

Salt, baking soda, and chalk are the main components in the mixture. The liquid version is easiest to use but if left on the shelf the components will separate and settle.  So, don't buy a gallon unless you have a lot of cleaning to do (as in moving into an older home, voice of experience here). 

I think the Bar Keepers Friend became popular about the time ceramic cooktops became vogue.  Bar Keepers Friend has oxalic acid, a great rust remover from clothes, and tarnish from brass, available from the farmacia. It has more potential for skin irritation, gloves recommended.

A key ingredient missing is the amount of elbow grease needed. That is locally available but the cost varies greatly. :-)

6 hours ago, Bud said:

• liquid, and
  • cleanser and polish.

I buy it at Do-It Center.  My cleaning lady told me about it a few years ago, and I was able to get the liquid version.  Lately they only have the powder version.  I have never seen the polish.  They don't always have it, so if you see it, buy two.  They were out of it totally for several months last year.  It works great to clean stoves.  Powder can easily be changed to liquid by adding water.  It seems to work as well.

• Upvote 1