I know several people who are "in the queue" to get their citizenship and ultimately a passport here in Panama. The story remains consistent: done the interview, the medical stuff, all the paperwork, paid the fees, taken and passed the test, but the last step is still in limbo. Some have been in the queue for as much as three years.

Does anyone know the real story about how long it takes to complete this process of getting citizenship? Or what the stumbling block(s) might be?

I believe only one gringo in Boquete has been successful in turning her E- cedula into a N-cedula and getting a Panamanian passport. I've been told that Martinelli only signed that one application and Varela isn't interested in signing any. The new naturalized Panamanian citizen is Renae D'Oro.

Thanks Penny. This is not very encouraging news. I've been "in the queue" for two years and not much progress. I do not wish to renounce, but simply have two passports for security reasons. We travel in some parts of the world where a US passport is an invitation to problems, or actual prohibition against entry.

We are aware of only one now former US citizen having gotten their Panama n-cedula and passport. That person is in Panama City.

My hunch is it helps to rub elbows with somebody important who likes you a lot......
  Bud...maybe you need to be drinking more Abuelo and writing some public testimonies...just a thought.  If you have to start going to 12 step meetings before you get your N-Cedula  let us know would ya?

• 2 months later...

We know of one person (one person only) who has received their Panamanian passport during the past three years. One attorney told us he is not accepting new applications from people seeking a Panamanian passport because he can't promise when or if a passport might be issued.

Beginning to wonder if this effort is a worthwhile project or if Americans "can visit but not welcome to stay in Panama".

• Upvote 1

I know we can currently stay in Panama with a pensionado visa, but the real question is why can't Americans get Panamanian citizenship.

Is there a problem that no one wants to talk about. Seems to me that three years with no activity and no answers is a cause for concern and maybe alarm.

Just trying to find the answer to this situation.

12 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Thanks; your idea sounds like a possibility--no citizenship for anybody.

We know someone who is married to a local. Thought this would help get him a Panamanian citizenship. Hasn't worked. He is waiting like the rest of us.

I remember talking to someone many years and two presidents ago.  She was a Panamanian citizen, and it took a few years to get citizenship for her husband.  So this is not new.  It is rare when anything in Panama happens fast or efficiently.

Just this morning I heard about five expats (two couples, three people local) whose citizenship papers have been signed and swearing in ceremonies scheduled. Maybe the logjam has been broken. I have encouraged the one who informed me to share the experience here.

5 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Just this morning I heard about five expats (two couples, three people local) whose citizenship papers have been signed and swearing in ceremonies scheduled. Maybe the logjam has been broken. I have encouraged the one who informed me to share the experience here.

I sure would like to know who is getting citizenship and how they went about getting it.