Crime against the indigenous

We rarely hear about the crime in the indigenous and Latino communities and, in fact, had I not been friends with Alberto through the Handicap Foundation, I wouldn't have known about this. Alberto lives across the street from me, has 9 children, and is in a wheel chair as a result of a fall from a tree about 2 years ago. Alberto's sister-in-law was walking from her job in downtown Boquete near Romero's about a week ago when she was attacked and beaten up. She was taken to the hospital and died a few days ago.

This stuff happens all around us and we know next to nothing about it.

• Upvote 2

I agree this stuff happens all around us.   The reason we know next to nothing about it is the divide between the gringo and latino communities.   I hear about these things when I am with my Panamanian friends.   I know of a personal Panamanian friend that had her house broken into 3 times and her families house broken into twice.   This doesn't make the news and unless you are deeper into the Latino culture and community of your neighbors you will never hear about it.

This is just another reason to bridge the gap between communities.

• Upvote 2

I agree with your recent posting, Twin Wolf, about "bridge the gap between communities".  I have traveled the world and know there are wonderful people in every corner of the earth regardless of their background and education.  I especially applaud my Panamanian friends for their enjoyment of life!

• Upvote 1

I believe that for many crimes, the Panamanians do not report them and that is probably even more prevalent in the indigenous community.   I went to help a Panamanian report one break-in (at my urging) and found the process to be hours of waiting and typing a report that was obviously going to just go into some file without any action.   Also, it is my understanding that if the amount taken was less than $500 in value they will not even take a report - even though the home was broken into and bars were pulled off the windows.

What I learned is that neighbors talk to neighbors and they watch out for each other as a community - though not officially organized.   It takes a horrific crime to bridge the gap and get reported.

It is sad but in some ways understandable.   My opinion is that the gringo community immediately looks to authorities, such as the police, for help while the non-gringo communities immediately look to their family and neighbors.   For that reason, many crimes are not reported.   If you want to be more aware, get to know your Panamanian and indigenous neighbors and work on understanding why things are different.

• Upvote 3

While what you say may be true Twin Wolf, we had a very different experience. One morning about 8:00 am when I let my two mid size dogs outside to potty, there was a young man in my front yard getting ready to hop the fence to get out. Seeing the dogs after him, he got in too big of a hurry and ripped open his arm on the spiked rod iron fence. He stopped next door where 3 teen-aged Panamanian young men were talking, one was my neighbor and two of his friends. Another of his friends on a bicycle was just arriving and had seen the guy hop our fence. The bad guy was asking them for help for his bleeding arm and was told NO WAY, WE SAW WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

One of the boys called the police and when they showed up all the boys told what they saw. One of the boys went with my daughter to the police station to file the report which was much appreciated since her Spanish was not adequate to that level.  When asked if they could identify the guy, my daughter had not seen him, but the young man with her had and said yes, he could identify him and showed on his arm where the guy had a bad cut from the fence. The police found the guy at the hospital getting stitches and arrested him.  They were only going to fine him $40 since he hadn't actually stolen anything, was just trespassing.  The stupid kid tried to take one of the officers weapon and was immediately arrested and taken to jail. I don't know where it went from there.

• Upvote 1

That was our third unpleasant experience living in San Pablo Viejo. The first and worst one was when they poisoned our dog, cut the chain link fence in back, cut the bars on the carport in an attempt to get in at 2:00 am.  That was right after I got home from surgery. The police were all over the yard and found an empty Pio Pio chicken nuggets container which they figured was laced with rat poison to kill our dog.  They found short pieces of rope the police assumed was intended to tie us up once they got in. They didn't realize the dining room door was open for the dog to get out onto the enclosed carport and when he went leaping out there the one cutting the bars dropped one which woke us. I still hurt from the loss of our dog. The police fingerprinted the window where they broke the latch to toss the poison chicken in the house and took a sample of our dogs mouth to determine cause of death. That afternoon the Police Chief came to the house. He told us to buy a gun and shoot to kill and if we killed someone outside the house to drag them inside. That was a shock! Now he knew we couldn't just go buy a gun and I don't want one in the house anyway. For about two months the police would patrol around our house day and night and hit the siren when they passed letting anyone watching know they were watching too.

There was one other time when a guy actually got in the house, had the big screen TV unplugged when I though I heard a noise and went to investigate, silly me. But whoever it was ran before I got there. He took the cord to the TV with him. My neighbors Gardener fixed the fence AGAIN and found the TV cord hanging out on one of the barbed wire fences in the pasture.

We've been lucky.

Then we moved to David. Just petty theft here until one morning I had left the back gate/doors open for the dogs and got in the shower. My daughter was in her room on the computer. Someone came in, took my purse (found it empty of cash, about $400) and took my Kindle. I normally don't have that much cash on me, but we were going shopping that day. I admit I didn't bother calling the police. Nothing to see here.

So now we keep ALL doors closed and locked even during the day, all our windows have bars and all our doors have bared gates on them. It a shame you have to feel like a prisoner in your own home, but TIP.  In spite of all the warts, we love it here.

• Upvote 1

JoJo,  Your experiences are right in line with what I have seen and heard.   Typical not calling the police when the amount was small ($400) and I suspect your first experience did not get the attention of the news even tho it was certainly more than petty crime.    I too have found my Panamanian neighbors to be amazing and helpful but that only works when you become a good neighbor.   It is too easy in our culture to stay in our own home or only visit with other gringos. 

Like you, despite these things I love it here.    As I tell my friends, it is not paradise but it fits me just right.   Thanks for sharing the details of your experiences.   It helps all of us.

It's sometimes difficult to share, especially our first time when they killed our dog. He was a street dog that adopted us. All the neighbors said he was a viscous animal, but he had been abandoned and then people throw stones or sticks at a stray. Instead we put food and water out for him. It was a hard won battle for trust that we had won with him and we were very attached to him.  We had him for about 2 1/2 years and will always have our memories. But we moved to another house 1 1/2 kilometers closer to the hwy on the same road. We were only there for about 2 weeks when that happened.

We now have two rescue dogs. They are the best! 100% pure Panamanian mixed breed mutts. Best dogs ever and I've had many different pure-bred AKC registered dogs from Toy Poodles to German Shepherds and Labs.  

There have been a lot of theft in our neighborhood here in David recently. One neighbor is increasing the height of his wall by another 2 feet and putting razor wire up. He has had expensive equipment come up missing from his yard and shop 3 times in 3 months. He's done!  Another neighbor next door to him moved out. Their house was broken into several times as well as their vehicle. That yard isn't fenced and it's next to a vacant, wooded lot. Several other homes on the next street were robbed and my neighbor across the street had things stolen from the back yard.

We are each responsible for our own security and we watch each others back here as well. It's the best we can do.

For me the heartbreak of the dog would be an unbearable pain.   Like you have I have an adopted dog - a Panamanian mix mutt, best ever!   She stays in the house when I am not home or at night because I fear the very same thing, a poisoning.    Also, as you say it is sometimes difficult to share.   Even after being violated, it is not something you proudly talk about.  So much of it goes unreported or only comes out in conversations like this one where many people are sharing their experiences. 

My house is fenced and there are bars around with windows as well as enclosing some of the outdoor space.    However, I know that is only a slight deterrent.   If the maleantes want in, they are coming in - those things just slow them down.   Guard your life and the life of your pets - everything else is just stuff. 

• Upvote 2

I am moving into a new house. The ONLY thing of value I have which I'd hate to lose is my MacBook Air I'm using to post this. But I have a solution for hiding it I don't think many bad guys would think of. I've set up a system UNDER my dining table to put it in when I'm out of the house. I also have three expired HP notebook computers as decoys. I have the serial numbers of all those recorded. While I'd also hate to lose my Sony video camera and my Powershot still camera, what with today's technology all the things those can do are incorporated into my smart phone which is with me when I leave home. I don't even own a television or stereo so no biggie.

Speaking of serial #s EVERYONE should do this...Record the serial numbers of all your expensive, hate to lose it stuff and send that list to yourself in an email! That way, no matter where you might be when you get ripped off you can access the information for the police on any computer with internet access anywhere in the world.

Good advise OldSalt

Twin Wolf, we keep our two dogs in the house except to go potty day or night. I don't think I could bear to lose either of them. My little tripod female (40 lbs) is about 8 years old and my little macho male (50 lbs) is about 6 1/2 or 7, so they aren't kids anymore. We play with balls and rope toys in the house to try and keep them active and when let outside the male chases our resident lizard. lol 

We have motion sensor lights front and back, alarms front and back because our front is not fenced, just the back. 

Take care and be safe

Women or even men are at risk when walking alone even during daylight hours. My Panamanian taxi driver of the last 5 1/2 years has been robbed twice that I'm aware of. Once while driving the taxi when the fare he picked up pulled a gun on him and took everything he had including 2 phones, his money, his drivers license, insurance, taxi license, etc. He was days trying to replace all of that and the expense involved.

The other time was while riding a bicycle going to the little corner market for his grandmother. He was hit over the head from behind, money and bicycle stolen. So yes, our Panamanian friends are being attacked as well.

It seems to be getting worse each year with these punks killing people either by beating them to death or shooting/stabbing them. Watch your back and always always always be aware of your surroundings.