Anybody else find a new charge on their electric bill?

Not an expert on the internal procedures of Union Fenosa, but my knee jerk reaction is that this is a one time "adjustment" (read charge) for guaranteeing timely future payments on your part. The phrase "deposito de garantia" roughly translates as "escrow", but I don't think they use the phrase to mean an actual escrow.

On a related matter, I am continuing to be alarmed at how high our electric bill is compared to others. A typical bill is a bit more than $200.00 per month. We have no electric water heaters, and only one small dehumidifier that runs only about 15% of the time. Lots of computer stuff and security stuff. The computers are turned off unless in use. And our "think" is that the security systems don't use that much electricity.

I hear of only about three other expats who have electric bills as high as we do. We are now considering having a chat with ACODECO, given that Union Fenosa declines to do anything, such as verifying an accurate meter, etc.

Well interesting.  Last month the hard copies of the bills in our neighborhood got delivered to the wrong houses.  So we paid the neighbor's bill , the neighbor paid his neighbor's bill...etc.  none of us looked at the name on the bill itself.  Ok so our bill payment was one month late because of that situation.  Took us awhile to figure out what happened.  So maybe that's it.

On the high electric bill.  We had an electrician re-wire our main fuse box.  At the time we had that done the electrician told us that when it is off balance as ours was it can effect the amount of your bill ( I have not a clue on how that works).   It's rare we have a bill over $25/month.  We use ceiling fans continuously.  Most of the time the computer is left on.  TV is on most of the time. We do have an electric security system but I doubt that draws much.  We do laundry once a week usually.  One month we had a guest who was doing wash almost every other day and that almost doubled our electric bill.

10 hours ago, Brundageba said:

The charge:

ajuste de Deposito de garantia ............................ $41.11

Our bills usually are around $20.00 a month and we pay on a regular basis...monthly.  We have lived here now almost 9 years.  Can somebody explain this charge?

That charge is an increase in your deposit, you do get the money back when you move.  If you missed paying a bill they adjust your deposit. 

Bud, do you have any water pumps on your property?  I do and got a leak in the system and my bill went way up, found the leak after about a month. 

19 hours ago, Brundageba said:

The charge:

ajuste de Deposito de garantia ............................ $41.11

Our bills usually are around $20.00 a month and we pay on a regular basis...monthly.  We have lived here now almost 9 years.  Can somebody explain this charge?

$20 is really low.  If you have been under-paying, maybe they made an adjustment to bring the bill up to where it is supposed to be.

2 hours ago, JudyS said:

$20 is really low.  If you have been under-paying, maybe they made an adjustment to bring the bill up to where it is supposed to be.

We've been here 9 years.  Electric usage has been the same.  Bill has always run between $17- 25.00   Until our bills started being delivered to the wrong houses and each of us paid our neighbors bill ( except ours ) ...we are never late on payment.  The bill was stuck under the door...wasn't the wind.  Now we all look at the name on the bill.  I guess we're suck with the additional deposit.  

Bud

I've known 3 people here who've had suspiciously high bills. When they're high Union Fenosa won't do anything about them. All 3 people went out and put a rock through their meter and reported the vandalism to Union Fenosa which then had to install a new meter. Quite miraculously, they're bills all went down.

• Upvote 1