Young families who've recently settled in Boquete are discovering it's not easy to educate your children here.

Recent discussion on .NING re: educating children you've brought to Boquete leads me to believe there's some on-going after the fact research happening.  Conclusion: it won't be easy.  Why  you would not figure all this out first before moving here puzzles me.

Edited by Brundageba
left out words...typo

5 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Recent discussion on .NING re: educating children you've brought to Boquete leads me to believe there's some on-going after the fact research happening.  Conclusion: it won't be easy.  Why  you would not figure all this out first before moving here puzzles me.

Has anyone else noticed that many of the people who are homeschooling their children might benefit from some extracurricular help themselves?

'We are new to Boquete.We have a 13 year old daughter and 16 year old son.I personally checked out the International school.There are alot of fees not included in the tuition.The cost for the two would of been 750.00 a month.That did not include textsbooks (all books are new each year..they don't reuse).transportation from town is six dollars a day per child.I did not get uniform cost.I am still researching too.Will home school if I need too..lots of tutors in Boquete to help.Best to you!'

Some of the errors might be attributable to typos, and another reader advised the writer that "alot" is not a word. But he overlooked the most egregious error: "would of been." I don't think homeschooling is a viable option in this case.

I'm wondering if many of these "newcomers" have ever traveled outside of the US before coming to Boquete. Seems they expected everything in Panama to be the same as "back home". This includes the school system as well as availability of food items, entertainment, medical care, social activities for teenagers, and transportation, etc. I was told that many teenagers want to "get out of here because there is nothing to do". 

Home schooling might not be the best option for some folks.

Astounding.   Some with no plans for medical care ( no clue what they will do with regard to the Obama Care penalties if you don't carry healthcare and are a US citizen.  It's a $700 fine this year).  The biggest issue I see is raising your young children here and providing for them what they need to become successful  adults in this world eventually.  Its a unique and rare set of parents who can do this...some can, but they are  rare. My suspicion is there will be departures.  How this impacts a family in the long haul may be more than they ever bargained for.

On 1/4/2016 at 9:26 AM, Brundageba said:

Astounding.   Some with no plans for medical care ( no clue what they will do with regard to the Obama Care penalties if you don't carry healthcare and are a US citizen.  It's a $700 fine this year).  The biggest issue I see is raising your young children here and providing for them what they need to become successful  adults in this world eventually.  Its a unique and rare set of parents who can do this...some can, but they are  rare. My suspicion is there will be departures.  How this impacts a family in the long haul may be more than they ever bargained for.

If they are passing on some of their stone age religious beliefs to their children, they won't be successful adults in any country.