Rodny Direct Member Update - Walk-in Robber in Boquete

NewsLady

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

My first thought would be to greet the person and ask him his purpose for being there. Whether that would be from inside or outside the house would likely depend on the time of day.

Depending on the severity of my suspicions I would inform the  Vecinos Vigilantes group in our neighbourhood and Rodny.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”

Shooting first and asking questions later seldom works out very well.

We don’t have a gate.

Yup.   BUT we have barking dog sensors ( barks when you approach), beepers and a bevy of cameras around the house with a sign out front that pretty much sez you are not welcome if you plan to steal stuff.   It does not look user friendly for thieves.   When the motion sensors beep the real dog starts barking. 

5 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Yup.   BUT we have barking dog sensors ( barks when you approach), beepers and a bevy of cameras around the house with a sign out front that pretty much sez you are not welcome if you plan to steal stuff.   It does not look user friendly for thieves.   When the motion sensors beep the real dog starts barking. 

Agreed. Deterrence is the real solution to crime prevention. Anyone trying to get within 15 meters of our place better be prepared to deal with a lot of barking and a starring role on candid camera.

Edited by Keith Woolford

The main point about the deterrence thing, as others have mentioned, is not to let anyone  too close to your house without you knowing about it.  After that, especially with some of our “aged” community, it is too late.  Cameras, dogs, perimeter alarms, rooftop sirens all play a part, but you also need to advertise the fact that you have them.  Thieves in every Country, unless you are the specific intended victim, are lazy and scared.  If your home looks and is advertised as being well protected they will most likely head to another, less prepared place.  It’s the old case of “I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”.  Yes, it would be far preferable if all thieves were apprehended prior to committing their deeds, but that is just not possible.

19 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

Get real! I respect most of your replies, Keith, but this last one sucks.

Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

A fellow sitting in a chair does not strike me as being a clear and present danger, moreover it would appear to me like someone who may be lost or confused. He wasn't looking in windows, trying to enter, or threatening anyone.

Also, it seems that some of you folks haven't come very far culturally in this country if you don't realize that almost every conversation starts with a greeting, regardless of the situation.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the robbery of a patron at a pizza place on the main street this weekend. 

Edited by Keith Woolford

2 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

The main point about the deterrence thing, as others have mentioned, is not to let anyone  too close to your house without you knowing about it.  After that, especially with some of our “aged” community, it is too late.  Cameras, dogs, perimeter alarms, rooftop sirens all play a part, but you also need to advertise the fact that you have them.  Thieves in every Country, unless you are the specific intended victim, are lazy and scared.  If your home looks and is advertised as being well protected they will most likely head to another, less prepared place.  It’s the old case of “I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”.  Yes, it would be far preferable if all thieves were apprehended prior to committing their deeds, but that is just not possible.

Good advice generally, but I actually had my security camera ripped off the stantion and taken. The same maleante broke into my neighbors house and he had several dogs in his yard. The perp was on drugs. So crazy (like the recent story here) and drugged out changes the equation.

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

A fellow sitting in a chair does not strike me as being a clear and present danger, moreover it would appear to me like someone who may be lost or confused. He wasn't looking in windows, trying to enter, or threatening anyone.

Also, it seems that some of you folks haven't come very far culturally in this country if you don't realize that almost every conversation starts with a greeting, regardless of the situation.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the robbery of a patron at a pizza place on the main street this weekend. 

What happened?

10 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

What happened?

According to this report, there was an armed robbery last Thursday evening at Taurus Pizza.

A couple entered the place, closed the door, smacked the worker, and relieved her of the day's receipts, about $190.

image.thumb.png.33034026cb033846a9c204360e0df76a.png

image.png.8a3711b5d475765e39a14755472e3e3f.png

Earlier reports mistakenly said it was a patron who was robbed.

https://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/golpean-la-dependiente-y-roban-en-restaurante-de-boquete-1113759

Edited by Keith Woolford