Why was Volcan's hospital completed and not Boquete's?

2 hours ago, Palo Alto Jo said:

It's not a clinic, but a hospital, right?

Neither one are Hospitals, Jo.

The facility in Volcan is a MINSA-CAPSI Clinic, the same as the one in Caimito which we drive by on the way to David.

image.png.31e607c6dd9406540b1661380c3a4137.png

The Polyclinica being built in Alto Boquete for the Caja de Seguro Social is also a clinic but with different clientele and services.

Edited by Keith Woolford

Thanks Keith.   As a former "hospital" worker, I needed to know the difference between "hospital" and "clinic" designation here. I always feel such a "newbie" , I appreciate the fact that you've been here and know so much.  Some day I want to be "you" when I "grow up".  haha

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Neither one are Hospitals, Jo.

The facility in Volcan is a MINSA-CAPSI Clinic, the same as the one in Caimito which we drive by on the way to David.

image.png.31e607c6dd9406540b1661380c3a4137.png

The Polyclinica being built in Alto Boquete for the Caja de Seguro Social is also a clinic but with different clientele and services.

What is the difference in the clientele, Keith?

It’s my belief that CSS or Social Security Clinics are for those who have coverage through employment, while MINSA clinics are administrated by the Ministry of Health and serve everyone. 

Here in Boquete, the CSS Clinic also provides services like X-Rays or Ultrasounds to anyone with a prescription because they have the only equipment of that nature in town.

Edited by Keith Woolford

My recollection is that the clinics in Volcan and in Caimito are part of a 20-clinic program launched by Martinelli to bring health services to underserved remote parts of Panama. They are not hospitals, and they offer mainly consultations via online video connections with doctors in Panama City. I believe that only ten, or fewer, of the 20-unit program were funded and actually completed. Since Martinelli's programs were terminated at the end of his term, I don't expect that the program will be extended any time soon. Perhaps it would be best to think of them as diagnostic centers operated by the Ministry of Health...

On 5/18/2018 at 9:03 PM, Keith Woolford said:

CSS or Social Security Clinics are for those who have coverage through employment, while MINSA clinics are administrated by the Ministry of Health and serve everyone. 

75% of the population are affiliated with the CSS or Caja de Seguro Social.