Patches needs your support!

NewsLady

Meet Patches (AKA Joanne) This sweet girl was purchased by a concerned member of the community for $10 from a local family. She has been under ARF's care since... October 11. She had open sores, mange and is obviously malnourished. Here is the update on her from our awesome fosters:

“Patches is doing great, finally getting frisky, eating well, wanting to play and is obviously getting stronger. All her open sores have closed so tomorrow she will get her first mange bath. I'm anxious to get those going. She is going to be beautiful.”

If you would like to contribute to the care and recovery of Patches, please visit our site and donate. Thank you! http://www.arf-boquete.com/donate.html

image.png.b77ce7eeb23e77e70903b8ff9e888377.pngimage.png.bf4ca75e0beab80a6bf3e02d208c642a.pngimage.png.288d670ad08f41e2696bc5296f35804d.png

ARF is a small non-profit animal organization dedicated to the rescue, care, foster and adoption of the unwanted and neglected animals in Boquete and the surrounding areas.  Please visit our website at http://www.arf-boquete.com/  if you are interested in adopting an animal.  You can also help with the financial support of these animals by clicking here http://www.arf-boquete.com/donate.html 100% of our donations go to the animals.  Our email address is arf.boquete@gmail.com

Please visit and “like” our Facebook page on https://www.facebook.com/ARF-Adopt-Rescue-Foster-Boquete-Panama-260616740779036/

Also, please visit our sister site Pets Want Homes if you are interested in adopting an animal on http://www.petswanthomes.com/

This poor, poor dog. I assume that the ARF volunteer who rescued her also filed a denuncia or reported (however it's done) against the owners for animal neglect or abuse. I can understand paying the $10 just to get Patches out of the terrible conditions as soon as possible, but I do hope this was followed by action against the abusers. Otherwise--like dognapping for ransom--it could become an encouragement to abuse an animal and then offer it for sale to a animal rescue person or group. Dottie Atwater in Volcan has been very successful in bringing animal abusers to justice, but I have heard of no such cases in Boquete. Surely, though, there are some.

Thank you for your comments.  Please understand that it was not ARF that paid the owners for this dog.  It was a concerned member of the community and we took possession of the dog.

Even though there is an animal law in Panama which is designed to protect domestic/farm and circus animals it is another thing entirely to see it enforced.  Most people reporting the abuse do not want to get involved as they are neighbors to, or know the abusers and there is also a fear of retaliation.   We had a case in David some time ago where the abuser was a prominent member of the community and the case basically resulted in going nowhere because of his “connections”.

Over the years we have worked with the local corrigidoras on cases such as these here in Boquete.  Sometimes they are helpful, but often it is an uphill battle as the general mentality is that animal abuse is not a high priority.  Most of the time what happens is when these people are threatened with a fine they simply surrender the animal.

We are a small group of volunteers and we do what we can.  Our priority with Patches was to get her out of the situation she was in and on the road to recovery.  If the woman who paid for this dog decides to pursue charges we will assist her thru the process in any way we can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

Where do these surrendered animals go? Surely the Corregador is not taking them home.

They go to foster homes, if one can be found.  ARF desperately needs fosters right now.  If you can care for a dog or cat until a permanent home can be found, please contact ARF. 

ARF does so much for these abused and abandoned animals.  The volunteers and fosters are selfless, kind and caring people who give so much to the community.  ARF has a surplus of animals they need to place in forever homes so please see them at the Market and the library (once per month) and adopt one of these precious animals.

6 hours ago, JudyS said:

They go to foster homes, if one can be found.  ARF desperately needs fosters right now.  If you can care for a dog or cat until a permanent home can be found, please contact ARF. 

ARF has no fosters homes available. This is why I have not filed a denuncia against my neighbors. I have no idea what would happen to the dog if she were confiscated. It's better that she stay with them so I can feed her and keep an eye on her.