I would like to find information regarding health insurance for Canadians. I'm sure someone else must have had this problem - you are not a resident of Panama, over 65 and want long term health insurance. If anyone has information, or can recommend an insurance company, it would be greatly appreciated.

Much discussed subject over many years. Unfortunately no saved data base.

Depending on the province and whether or not you have a permanent residence in Canada, you may be able to recover your health costs from the province, provided it is not a pre-existing condition.

You can join a co-pay at Hospital Chiriqui, which has lots of conditions - call them directly to find out. Other Canadians belong to BUPA - pretty expensive but good. You can use a broker to find some other company.

We have co-pay at Chiriqui, and maintain our Ontario health plan. We want Canadian doctors. If you give up your Cdn. health plan, you have to wait 3 months in Canada to restore it. Make sure you have a catastrophic fund set aside, or lots of credit card limit. or both. as they will want money up front here, or even for Medevac to Canada. You could end up in the regional hospital which is really basic.

Do your homework. As we age, the requirement for care increases.  

Most of the expat HC discussions centre around the implications for US expats who are familiar with a number of insurance programs that are foreign to us more familiar with cradle-to-grave health care. it would be good to have an in-depth discussion about this topic for Canadians, both for long term "visitors" and those with pensionados.

I do not want to be a burden on anybody's system that is why I am looking for information. The discussion on healthcare does not respond to my concerns which are health insurance for Canadians who have not become a resident. I do have travel insurance for the duration of my visit so do not plan on taking advantage of anybody or needing a fundraiser to pay for my care.