Notice of Community Meeting At Skateworld re Boquete Consignment

Public Notice of Special Town Meeting

Skateworld of Boquete, Saturday July 8th at promptly 1pm

If you have any information regarding OR conflict, complaints, or issues with any Boquete Consignment (furniture, art, collectibles, etc) establishment, you are asked to come to this meeting. 

Julio Espinosa Brown, local attorney, representatives from the Prosecutors office will be here to take reports and hear grievances.  Wilfredo,  Chiriqui Provinces Official Interpreter for the Public Ministry, will also be here with copies of “Victim’s Rights” in English.  These folks are here to help.  They understand that it can be intimidating to go into a Prosecutor’s office to seek help and try to enforce your rights as a victim in a foreign country, speaking a foreign language.  They are offering their advice and services, at this meeting, free of charge.  If you would like to reserve a seat, or have any questions, please feel free to email skateworldofboquete@gmail.com.

• Admin_01 changed the title to Notice of Community Meeting At Skateworld re Boquete Consignment

Many of you will know me as a 15 year resident of Panama, some may be aware of my story. If you aren’t, I will briefly explain. I was a victim of a home invasion in October 2015, and I was stabbed and shot twice.  I spent nearly three months in Centro Medico Mae Lewis fighting for my life. Once the doctors told me I could travel, my daughter brought me to Mexico where she could take care of me. Unfortunately, I could take very little with me, therefore, anything that could not fit in three suitcases was either left with the house when it was sold, or taken to a local Boquete consignment store in May 2016.  We made three trips to the consignment store, the trunk and back of the car filled each time with unique and expensive items, collected with my husband – memories of our 40 years of marriage which I had no option but to let go. Pieces entrusted to the owner of the consignment enterprise included Lladro, Lalique, Royal Doulton , Nao, framed artwork, crystal etc. I have received a “listing” of the items sold from the owner of the consignment store which is lacking in detail and extremely unprofessional. So far I have received a partial deposit for items sold, she says another deposit is forthcoming – but even if this is received, the total amount is miniscule. The items she has listed as having been sold and the photos she sent me of the items she still has, account for only a fraction of the pieces left with her.  I have asked several times but she either cannot or will not account for the missing items. Obviously, I have become a victim of her nefarious business practices -- as have many others.  I strongly urge everyone who has left items on consignment and who has not received payment, the return of the items or has a complaint or issue with this Boquete consignment business, to attend the Special Town Meeting, to be held at Skateworld, tomorrow Saturday, 8th July at 1:00 pm. A local attorney and representatives from the Prosecutors Office will be there to take reports and hear grievances.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MarieElaine said:

I am so happy to hear you are doing well and recovering from your ordeal.  Do you feel safer in Mexico Marion?  Perhaps you should send a list to Leslie of your missing items so you can be included.

Thanks for your good wishes and yes, I feel much safer here in Playa.   I'm in touch with the people and lawyer pursuing this and they will have all of the paperwork they need from me.  I plan to help in any way I can.  The money for the missing items isn't the reason I am pursuing this, the important thing is to put a stop to unscrupulous business practices so nobody else is hurt by the loss of sentimental possessions that, for one reason or another, they have been forced to give up or leave behind.  Items (memories) which were entrusted to a person who broke that trust purely for monetary gain.

• Upvote 2