Be careful with Google Translate

Sometimes "Boquete" is translated as "gap." Other times, it's translated as "hole."

Translation programs are like spell check: you have to check them carefully, especially if you're sending them out to someone. When I was in Turkey several years ago, I took my brand new Kindle Fire, on which I hadn't disabled spell check because I didn't know how. I was emailing to friends and family about where we were and where we had been. I gave up when it kept replacing the name of a town with "orgasm."

• Upvote 1

Sometimes "Boquete" is translated as "gap." Other times, it's translated as "hole."

Translation programs are like spell check: you have to check them carefully, especially if you're sending them out to someone. When I was in Turkey several years ago, I took my brand new Kindle Fire, on which I hadn't disabled spell check because I didn't know how. I was emailing to friends and family about where we were and where we had been. I gave up when it kept replacing the name of a town with "orgasm."

I've been there.

• 9 months later...

I always use Google translate for assistance, but I sometimes do a „double check“. 
First I translate from my language to Spanish, then copy the Spanish and see what comes out in my language.
This helps sometimes.... and of course the best is having lessons and try to speak a lot of Spanish.
Sometimes very difficult but worth it...

@PanamaPatrick Thanks for the hint!

try highlighting the translated words (one or a few at a time) with left mouse click, which gives a list of 5 alternatives...scroll down the list and each will provide the English equivalent...click on the best alternative to change it... sometimes there is not direct translation and you must rewrite the original with alternative words that are similar

The problem with Google translate is that they do their job by translating literally some words and looking only one of the several meanings the word could have.  

For example the sentence in english:  Neck of the woods.   For english speaking people it will mean something like neighborhood but in Google translate it will be read in Spanish literally word by word.  CUELLO DE LOS BOSQUES and that will be meaningless to Spanish speaking people.  It will be NECK of one WOODS or forest.