This gathering is to protest ALL of the recent crimes in Chiriqui in which juveniles participate!  The laws must change to recognize that, even though these are young people, they must be held accountable for their crimes...ESPECIALLY murder and attempted murder!

SECURITY MEETING - OCT 9 at 5.00pm at the Potrerillos cruce park !!!
A security meeting will be held TODAY at 5.00 pm in the Parque Surtapec (little park at the Potrerillos cruce/crossing)...The Mayor from Dolega, the representantes,police and all interested public are invited.

Please put this out to all of our friends and neighbors. This affects everyone, not just Potrerillos residents. The officials and police are responding to calls and outcry from the public. They know something has to be done.

PLEASE show up in if you can and bring some of your workers.So everybody knows about this.

I would ask anyone with media contacts to get this out to them as well.

Gracias all.

120413-mexico-kids-youtube-2a-photoblog600.jpg

• Administrators

Subject:Rodny Direct Member Alert - Rally/protest in Potrerillos at 5pm today
Date:Fri, 09 Oct 2015 09:43:43 -0400
Reply-To:Moreno Fuentes, Rodny <info@rodnydirect.com>

EmailTracker.ashx?emailCode=VLdxaTSEuOtI

RD-logo-4.gif

Member Alert

Oct 9, 2015

Good morning,

I will be attending the rally and protest against the release of the suspects in the Marion Clamp case, this afternoon at 5PM at the junction in Potrerillios abajo.

If you are also attending the rally, please come by and say hello. If you are not able to attend, I will be making a full report on the proceedings later tonight or early tomorrow morning. 

Rodny

Thank you for your attention. Any questions? info@rodnydirect.com

Meeting was moved to the basketball court down the street from the Zapadora.  There was a mixed crowd of local and expats of about 250.  Focus was Porerillos security which is sorely lacking.  Encouraging that 300 more policemen will be added to the Chiriqui forces.  A real police station needs to be built over there and that was discussed.  When that happens they will have National Police support ( it was not clear to me why that building was essential...but right now all they have is a small hut)   Athena the Deputada of Dolega District donated today her personal vehicle so now the policemen will have a car.  She said she was going to do her best to encourage legislation for the conviction of juvenile criminals as adults when they conduct serious crime.  They feel that when the pinch is on to catch these youths in certain areas, they move to others less protected as Potrerillos is.  Serious meeting. I saw no TV nor news cameras.  Those people over there need support.  

• Upvote 1

I truly  understand all good intentions...

What did this meeting do to accomplish something?

How can Athena be expected to legislate with Panamanian government officials?

Violent, gang related crimes are consuming the expat community.  Unfortunately, the governmental laws will not be changed by those of us who care concerning juvenile detention. The police caught the kids who tried to kill Marion, they were set free.

Until there is a change of law, the gang mentality will continue.

PS, I truly wish it would be made loud and clear that the more people who want to move here are only adding to the cause of more violent crime to expats being targets.

Most, if not all criminals are lazy and will pick on soft targets.  Make no mistake, theses kids had previously been watching and noting the deficiencies in the house defenses.  Some people do not like window bars, that's OK as long as you have other means of defense.  Perimeter alarms, panic horns (BIGones, boat horns do not work in a rural setting) a safe room and a plan that you have practised and can put into action autqomatically when you are woken in the middle of the night are all helpful.  The whole goal is not to get yourself into a situation where you may get hurt.  It is just a fact that crime involving youth is getting worse in our area, people need to be able to prevent bad things from happening to them, it is up to you to do that.  No amount of police presence will make you safe if you make bad security decisions.

• Upvote 2

Meeting was moved to the basketball court down the street from the Zapadora.  There was a mixed crowd of local and expats of about 250.  Focus was Porerillos security which is sorely lacking.  Encouraging that 300 more policemen will be added to the Chiriqui forces.  A real police station needs to be built over there and that was discussed.  When that happens they will have National Police support ( it was not clear to me why that building was essential...but right now all they have is a small hut)   Athena the Deputada of Dolega District donated today her personal vehicle so now the policemen will have a car.  She said she was going to do her best to encourage legislation for the conviction of juvenile criminals as adults when they conduct serious crime.  They feel that when the pinch is on to catch these youths in certain areas, they move to others less protected as Potrerillos is.  Serious meeting. I saw no TV nor news cameras.  Those people over there need support.  

Alison, was there any confirmation or denial by Officials of the release back into the community of the juvenile offenders who were involved in the Potrerillos crimes?

Keith.....that WAS a huge concern among every official that spoke and the drive to keep in custody youth offenders was their strong desire. The fact that there is no support there from the National Police was central concern ...and that will change.   The more pressure from our voices the easier the task will be to push this forward.   Now, whether the alleged perps of the latest crime are still detained I am not certain.  Athena will move quickly in the legislature to introduce bills to change the law...she assured the crowd of that.  That got a standing ovation.  She is serious.  The entire community is determined.  Personal protection and a plan is certainly important, and that is up to each one of us.  That was NOT discussed.  We all have to continue to meet, to shout and to demand that all of Chiriqui has the police protection that the people deserve.  The new road through Potrerillos on to Rio Serena is now present.  Their sense is that this location in Potrerillos at that crossroad needs a serious police force ( that was stressed).  More of these gatherings WITH television and press will help !!!!. 

• Upvote 2

Keith.....that WAS a huge concern among every official that spoke and the drive to keep in custody youth offenders was their strong desire. The fact that there is no support there from the National Police was central concern ...and that will change.   The more pressure from our voices the easier the task will be to push this forward.   Now, whether the alleged perps of the latest crime are still detained I am not certain.  Athena will move quickly in the legislature to introduce bills to change the law...she assured the crowd of that.  That got a standing ovation.  She is serious.  The entire community is determined.  Personal protection and a plan is certainly important, and that is up to each one of us.  That was NOT discussed.  We all have to continue to meet, to shout and to demand that all of Chiriqui has the police protection that the people deserve.  The new road through Potrerillos on to Rio Serena is now present.  Their sense is that this location in Potrerillos at that crossroad needs a serious police force ( that was stressed).  More of these gatherings WITH television and press will help !!!!. 

Thanks Alison. We will be continuing with communications to high ranking officials and media.

Once again, has there been any official confirmation or denial that juveniles apprehended were released back into the community? I suggest that the first pressure brought to bear should be that the authorities give the community a full and complete report of what happened (how many, ages, e.g.) and what is happening to those apprehended. We are operating largely off rumor and unconfirmed media reports.

• Upvote 2

Once again, has there been any official confirmation or denial that juveniles apprehended were released back into the community? I suggest that the first pressure brought to bear should be that the authorities give the community a full and complete report of what happened (how many, ages, e.g.) and what is happening to those apprehended. We are operating largely off rumor and unconfirmed media reports.

Yes, there was confirmation.  Dianne insisted on knowing and Capt. Arauz confirmed that at least one minor was released because he is under 14 and can't be prosecuted.  He was also very adamant that the problem is not with the NP, who did their job by apprehending these people, but rather with the ministry of justice (?) that releases them.

Edited by Deborah
  • Upvote 1

Yes, there was confirmation.  Dianne insisted on knowing and Capt. Arauz confirmed that at least one minor was released because he is under 14 and can't be prosecuted.  He was also very adamant that the problem is not with the NP, who did their job by apprehending these people, but rather with the ministry of justice (?) that releases them.

There was NO representation from Ministry of Justice nor the powers that be...as far as I saw to speak to that matter ( child criminals let loose...or not, and if so why) .  The Dolega District government  and the Municipal police force seemed "let-down" that they were the only ones there to speak.  Keep in mind this was a fairly last minute meeting and the other officials they hoped to see there may have had prior obligations. My sense was that they were there to speak to their difficulties in retention of the juvenile criminals, their sympathy/empathy with the populace.  My hunch (merely a hunch) is that were they to announce to the people there that YES the kids are now out there free as birds  would have been something that would increase the fear of the populace.  From what I heard, it was left unknown ( we left before it got too dark to walk to our car parked at the Zap).  We will learn more from Diane I am sure. They made every attempt to reassure and set some goals for future security....but that was not going to happen this year.   They do have a police car donated to them by Athena....a start . 

• Upvote 1

I truly  understand all good intentions...

What did this meeting do to accomplish something?

How can Athena be expected to legislate with Panamanian government officials?

Violent, gang related crimes are consuming the expat community.  Unfortunately, the governmental laws will not be changed by those of us who care concerning juvenile detention. The police caught the kids who tried to kill Marion, they were set free.

Until there is a change of law, the gang mentality will continue.

PS, I truly wish it would be made loud and clear that the more people who want to move here are only adding to the cause of more violent crime to expats being targets.

Where did you get the information saying these kids were released from custody. Please "link" your source, otherwise it's just an unsubstantiated rumor.

Edited by JoJo

JoJo,

I was at the meeting.  I heard first hand Capt Arauz state that one minor, under the age of 14, had been released.  Another older one remains in custody, at least as of last night.  It is not possible to link to the source, but his phone number, which he gave out last night, is 6550-0338 if you wish to call. 

Chica de Chiriqui asked how Athena Atenasiades can pretend to change the law regarding minors.  Good Question.  Panama has a single chamber legislative body whose 50 odd members are legislators or 'diputados'.  It is their job to either originate new law or approve, or not, that proposed by the executive.  Athena is the elected diputada of the area involving Boquete, Dolega and Gualaca.  She is both empowered to propose new law and, in fact, it is her responsibility. 

• Upvote 1

Price, I would appreciate you re-reading my comment, and amend yours.  You have quoted me as saying this, "Chica de Chiriqui asked how Athena Atenasiades can pretend to change the law regarding minors." .

You will notice that I did not use the word pretend.

Thanks

Edited by Admin_01
Removed the background highlighting that made the text very hard to read.