Parking Tickets May Be In Your Future

NewsLady

This morning I attend the Boquete Junta at the mayor's office. It is like a town council meeting for all of Boquete. I was introduced and asked to speak. I explained that the expats choose to live in this beautiful area and want to be apart of the community especially offering our skills and knowledge. This was well received. 

One of the councilmen asked me to pass along the information that due to congested and improper parking the police have been asked to ticket violators, especially those that block or park on sidewalks. The councilman noted that the situation is especially bad on Tuesday mornings on the roads by the BCP market. Pedestrians have to walk in the road besides the narrowed lanes for driving.  I just want you to be aware that action might be taken soon to stop the parking on sidewalks and narrow roads. 

Hank Landis
U. S. Embassy Warden

Several residents have replied directly to the U.S. wardens' email address (landis.boquete.warden@comcast.net) about this announcement. One took exception to TMM participants being singled out when there are parking violations all over every day by Panamanians and expats alike. He expressed his hope that tickets will be issued equally. Another felt that the town shares some of the blame by not addressing the parking shortage throughout Boquete. Along this line, one comment, and one that I personally share, questions why vendors are allowed to occupy parking spaces around Romero when there is vacant space in the new town market directly across the street.

The wardens will share these sentiments with the municipal authorities as deemed appropriate. We ask that everyone please understand that we walk a fine line here.

Some people just don't appreciate a heads-up when they see one. They should be grateful for the warning.

'Because there are parking violations all over town' doesn't excuse parking illegally and inconveniencing other citizens.

There is plenty of parking available along the road to the Feria within a short walk of the Market.

By the way, does BCP have any parking spaces with a Disabled designation?

In defense of the first poster mentioned, he does not suggest that BCP attendees should not be held accountable for parking violations but that everyone throughout town should be, too. I believe the gist of the Junta's message was that the town is cracking down on parking violations. The message re BCP was, as Keith suggests, a heads up to the U.S. warden so he could disseminate this to U.S. expats, and the example of the TMM was cited because those particular offenders are largely expats. I, too, am grateful for the warning.

While we're on the subject, I continue to see people driving golf cars downtown illegally. If you are doing this, you are running the risk of incurring a fine as well as the cost of towing the vehicle, which can be substantial. If you know someone who is doing this, you will be doing them a favor by reminding them of the law. For a discussion of this issue from April of last year, see http://boquete.ning.com/forum/topics/leave-your-cart-at-home-aggressive-transit-operation-in-front-of?commentId=1434455%3AComment%3A686076

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

By the way, does BCP have any parking spaces with a Disabled designation?

Good question.  They probably don't, and since the whole lot is stone and dirt/mud, it isn't good for wheelchairs.  I heard there is a paved area around the back.  Perhaps a part of this should be designated as parking for disabled people.

28 minutes ago, JudyS said:

Good question.  They probably don't, and since the whole lot is stone and dirt/mud, it isn't good for wheelchairs.  I heard there is a paved area around the back.  Perhaps a part of this should be designated as parking for disabled people.

Judy, the entire back parking lot has been designated for disabled parking, at least during the market hours.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...