ARF-Update on Samuel

NewsLady

We would like to thank everyone who donated to Samuel’s operation.  We wish we had better news, but unfortunately, the story did not end as we hoped.

Samuel had his operation on Wednesday, February 17th.  Dr. Sam in David from Happy Pets performed the operation.  When Dr. Sam opened up Samuel’s leg, it was discovered that the bone was very brittle, and even portions of it were considered “dead”.  This made it impossible for any steel plates or pins to be secured properly.  The degradation of the bone was due to the time that had elapsed from when his injury occurred, to the time that we found him (approximately 3 months later) and he began treatment for the infection.  The decision was made to have Samuel’s leg amputated.  The operation lasted three and a half hours.

Samuel is doing fine.  He is a happy boy, and this event has not seemed to dampen his positive outlook on life.

We raised enough funds for Samuel’s pre-op care and surgery.  We also raised enough to help with his after care.  Any additional funds that may be left over will go towards the medical treatment of our current and new rescues.

Samuel will be recovering for the next few weeks in a safe and comfy foster home and will be ready for adoption in the near future.  We will continue to keep you updated on how he is progressing.

Again, thanks to all that contributed.   Donations for our other furry friends can be made thru our website: http://www.arf-boquete.com/donate.html

Samuel pre-op with Dr. Sam

56c8c0e7cd461_Samuelpre-op.jpg.637f8724b
Samuel post-op with his foster dad

56c8c0fe12f9f_Samuelpost-op.jpg.0748212d

--
Lisa Mosley
www.arf-boquete.com

• Upvote 1

Good surgeries? No way, no how. I'm appalled because I believe this dog was mutilated -- and for a very high price: they were soliciting donations for "a very expensive surgery." And as far as I know, the leg was not removed up to the shoulder, which is the absolute WRONG way to do it.

3-1/2 hours for an amputation? Give me a break. At our clinic today Dr. Tello amputated a front leg from a 45-lb. dog--up to the shoulder, which is the RIGHT way to do it.. It took him 45 minutes. His charge? $50.

And Keith is absolutely correct in his statement. The only people who like HP are people who don't know what GOOD veterinary care is. I have horror stories out the kazoo with these people...and not just "stories" ...with animals I've personally seen the result where Dr. Tello ended up saving a limb or saving a life after being mutilated by these people.

• Upvote 1

Dottie is right.  Keith is correct.  Unfortunately, there are many here who think that HP provides ''care''.  I cannot believe what's been done to this poor dog.  Huge unnecessary suffering.  And I strongly suspect that additional surgeries will be recommended when someone realizes that this amputation was not done well.  Honestly, how can ARF expect people to contribute $$ for this kind of abuse?

Edited by Franagain

22 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Glad to hear that the dog is OK.

I honestly think a good ethical doctor would have removed the limb at the outset instead of milking the case. 

Three and a half hours seems like a long time for an amputation but what do I know?

Just want to make it abundantly clear that I personally admire and respect anyone who is trying to help an animal in need, be it through an organization or on an individual basis.

What's wrong is when others, particularly professionals, take advantage of those kind-hearted individuals, and their trust, for monetary gain.

• Upvote 1

There's a history with this practice that may not be known by members of ARF, at least some of whom are relatively new, I understand. I'm reluctant to blame anyone, but I do think they would do well to heed the advice of veteran animal owners and activists who have experience with the vets in the area. And I hope at least one of them is a member of CL so they'll see the comments here.

• Upvote 1

"Samuel had his operation on Wednesday, February 17th.  Dr. Sam in David from Happy Pets performed the operation.  When Dr. Sam opened up Samuel’s leg, it was discovered that the bone was very brittle, and even portions of it were considered “dead”.  This made it impossible for any steel plates or pins to be secured properly.  The degradation of the bone was due to the time that had elapsed from when his injury occurred, to the time that we found him (approximately 3 months later) and he began treatment for the infection.  The decision was made to have Samuel’s leg amputated.  The operation lasted three and a half hours.

Samuel is doing fine.  He is a happy boy, and this event has not seemed to dampen his positive outlook on life.

We raised enough funds for Samuel’s pre-op care and surgery.  We also raised enough to help with his after care.  Any additional funds that may be left over will go towards the medical treatment of our current and new rescues."

Ok.... maybe it's me but the way I read this as posted by Newslady, all is good.  Or, is this just a way to raise  money for a procedure that should of been performed earlier and in a less timely fashion and ONLY by Dr Tello?

I agree 3 and half hours seems crazy now that Keith mentioned it. Just very sad that us animal owners only have one resource for surgery care.

Edited by Admin_01
Added quotation formatting

The amputation--TO THE SHOULDER--should have been performed long ago by a competent vet (Dr. Tello), and then people would not have been begging for money to pay for "a very expensive operation."

Dogs do just fine on 3 legs. They do NOT do fine on 3-1/2 legs.

These people have been to our clinics for sterilizations several times, so they are aware of Dr. Tello's skill AND the low cost he charges at our clinics. At a clinic they attended recently she mentioned she likes Dr. Sam. I asked why she didn't use him for sterilizations. The response: "Too bloody expensive."

I am so angry on behalf of the dog that was subjected to unnecessary suffering that they can continue to use Dr. Sam for all their veterinary needs, not our clinics.

Per TwoSailors: "Just very sad that us animal owners only have one resource for surgery care." True, but the "one source" is Dr. Tello. He works at clinics in both David and Volcan once a month, and occasionally in Boquete. With no problem he has amputated legs, removed huge tumors (both venereal and mammary tumors), removed eyes, and whatever else is necessary.  For anyone to subject their animal to surgery by anyone else is...well, I guess I'm not allowed to say "stupid." 

Also, Dr. Tello will graciously meet people at the border at Paseo Canoas when necessary. You won't find a better veterinarian/surgeon anywhere, including in the US. 

Edited 7 hours ago by Admin_01 

• Upvote 1

This discussion has been only about dogs, due to the subject of the injured dog.  But there is another vet who Judy Odom has found to be very competent for doing surgery on her cats.  That is Dr. Jorge Gomez, Clinica Don Henry in David.  It would be good to hear from other people who have had successful surgery done on their dogs or cats by vets other than Dr. Tello.  I remember Dr. Claudio Garcia was praised a while ago.  Perhaps there are others.

Judy Odom uses Dr. Gomez for some things, but she also brings her cats to our clinics in Volcan.  I've personally encountered two (serious) misdiagnoses by him (resulting in death of the dog) and another by someone else with death as the result. This was long before I knew Dr. Tello. Before him, I also had horrible experiences with "Dra. Death" here in Volcan.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
add info

On 2/22/2016 at 7:29 AM, Dottie Atwater said:

The amputation--TO THE SHOULDER--should have been performed long ago by a competent vet (Dr. Tello), and then people would not have been begging for money to pay for "a very expensive operation."

Edited 7 hours ago by Admin_01 

People who paid for the mutilation and unnecessary suffering of Samuel are silent about what it cost. Rumor is upwards of $1,000. Does anyone know for sure?