I know, that got your attention, because it sure got mine  !!!.

https://www.sciencealert.com/virus

Here is a little excerpt to wet your whistle .. .( not a politically correct expression these daze):

A virus is genetic material contained within an organic particle that invades living cells and uses their host's metabolic processes to produce a new generation of viral particles.

Are viruses alive?

This is a question scientists continue to discuss as definitions of life and ecology change. Current thinking suggests viruses should be considered part of a complex living system, one that extends between all organisms.

'Virions' are the inactive particles that move through the environment, which we don't tend to think of as alive. Only once they're part of a cell do viruses take on living characteristics of their own, borrowing the host's biochemistry to reproduce.

As such, it's more accurate to think of viruses as part of the continuum between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

I know, that got your attention, because it sure got mine  !!!.

https://www.sciencealert.com/virus

Here is a little excerpt to wet your whistle .. .( not a politically correct expression these daze):

A virus is genetic material contained within an organic particle that invades living cells and uses their host's metabolic processes to produce a new generation of viral particles.

Are viruses alive?

This is a question scientists continue to discuss as definitions of life and ecology change. Current thinking suggests viruses should be considered part of a complex living system, one that extends between all organisms.

'Virions' are the inactive particles that move through the environment, which we don't tend to think of as alive. Only once they're part of a cell do viruses take on living characteristics of their own, borrowing the host's biochemistry to reproduce.

As such, it's more accurate to think of viruses as part of the continuum between chemistry and biology, one that isn't clearly divided into living and non-living.

Thanks for posting this. I started to, but -- geez -- people get tired of my rants.

The reason I started to post it (same general content, but from a different reference source) is that I read that technically speaking one does NOT "kill" a virus, similar to what one does to a bacteria. A virus must be "deactivated". That got my brain going.

It turns out, from what I am reading, that the same techniques are used to "deactivate" a virus as one uses to kill a bacteria. That means high heat, alcohol (isopropyl/medical, not the drinking kind, although that may work also), soap, etc.

My take is they are inert teeeeny pieces of blob with DNA material that comes ALIVE when they enter the host cell...be it bat or human.  It has to be stopped from replicating or it takes over the host. Its the patients immune system in battle .    Total systemic sepsis killed many with the virus in Italy. The virus had overwhelmed the patient's immune system...made it so weak the patient was then open for any bacterial infection...an example Klebsiella Pneumonia a common pneumonia that is contagious.  You get both rolling in a community you are dead in the water.  Lombardy Italy...that was their story.   This is serous business stuff here Bud

Panama and its citizens are amazingly compliant to my eye.  This will buy it time.  Some people are recovering...some developing immunity of their own as they recover from low level infection.   Eventually I believe the world's best scientists and docs will find a breakthrough.  The entire planet depends on that happening.  I have enormous hope for Panama.....and Boquete.  Meanwhile I am sure loving it here.  Us gals had the entire town to ourselves today  !!!!!!!!!!!!  :-)  Tomorrow I trust my husband will do as I told him without me being there to nag him .....

Edited by Brundageba