Grumble, Grumble - Another Electrical Outage

• 4 weeks later...

The last week has been horrible electrical service yet again. Today we are without electrical service from the utility since early this morning. Granted, we do have a generator but it was not designed for continuous use. Plus the cost of fuel to run it is expensive.

The situation never improves.

Why so often without electrical service here?

I doubt improvement of electrical service will be forthcoming soon, and might get a bit worse.  Friends on the coast go hours and sometimes days  without power now.  That is happening more often...and longer.  It is very hot there without a fan nor AC.  At least we have a cool climate going for us here. 

I suspect a lot of it has to do with lack of maintenance, but that’s not exclusive to Panama.  I have seen crews out a lot more often lately cutting branches and actually replacing poles that looked Like 2” metal pipes.  Unfortunately that sometimes involves turning off the power.  Usually here in Potrerillos, if the power goes out at 0900 on Saturday morning, it’s gone for 6 hours or so.  We have learned to adapt, and generators can be had that run on the small $5 gas bottles - good for a few hours.