Prolotherapy

NewsLady

Are Your Knees Killing You?

Does Pain in Your Hips Limit Your Mobility?

Arthritis in your Feet, Hands, Shoulder, Elbows?

We Can Fix That!

Prolotherapy (Google it.) is a treatment that can effectively treat arthritis without surgery or dangerous drug side effects. Here in Boquete we are fortunate to be able to offer advanced prolotherapy techniques using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and (courtesy of Kim Larson, ND) ozone (prolozone).
    If you're tired of the constant pain; fed up with pill popping; and want to avoid major surgery for joint replacement then you need to look into the advantages of prolotherapy. If you're interested in more details then please visit Dr. Harrison's US website: www.rejuvacare.org and click on SERVICES|ARTHRITIS.

Dra. Digna Diaz and Dr. Ted Harrison offer prolotherapy treatments at the Alfa Clinic in downtown Boquete. If you have any questions please contact Dr. Harrison at questions@bajareque.com. To make an appointment please call Dra. Diaz at 6615-6740.

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist I have to say that the article by Dr. Schmerling is typical of the kind of answer you would get from any mainstream medical doctor who is unfamiliar with the topic and hasn't bothered to educate himself. You know the saying about doctors and new ideas: "If they're not up on it then they're down on it."

Dr. Schmerling says, "The theory is unproven" and, "I could find only a few articles in the medical literature that critically evaluate its effectiveness..." He didn't look very hard. Anyone can go to PubMed (the National Library of Medicine's database of the medical literature) and do a search on "prolotherapy" and get 200 article citations. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, because in most medical literature the term prolotherapy is not used. It's called "regenerative injections" or something similar.

But that article was published three years ago. A lot of research has been done in the last three years. In fact, just one year a later an editorial in the prestigious medical journal Arthroscopy pronounced, "Platelet-rich plasma injections, in a systematic review and meta-analysis of 10 Level I randomized control trials, were found to provide more pain relief and better functional outcomes than hyaluronic acid in patients with knee osteoarthritis at 12 months after injection. The time has come for those of us who have not yet tried platelet-rich plasma injections in our patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritis to do so."

Platelet-rich plasma is, of course, what we use in prolotherapy these days.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

For anyone interested,  I had lived with chronic low back pain , from mild to extremely severe for 30 years. Very frequent visits to a chiropractor who was very good at reliving the pain.  Problem was it was temporary. I went to a few different orthopedic surgeons, who could find no explanation for the pain. No rupchured or bulging disc, with slight degeneration of vertebrae. The answer was " we can operate, fuse the 4th and5th vertebrae ". Fortunately , I refused this .   Finally in 2000, I got an appointment with a Sports Medicine doctor who was experienced in Prolotherapy. I received injections near/close to the tendons that connect the facets of the 3rd vertebrae to those of the 4th and 5th vertebrae.  These injection are Dextrose, Sarapin, Morrhaute Sodium, and  small amount of Lidocaine. Doctor told me these should last from a few months to a year or more.

I go once a year for these injections, and this last set of injections have lasted two years . I have been completely free of any pain for 18 years now. No pain at all.

These injections have been used extensively for torn or injured ligaments by athletes, or injuries from accidents or other causes. 

• Upvote 1