Clarification of Misleading Information

Brandy

I have seen some misleading information put out on another forum on this site, and I feel the need to address this.

First, the Ten Commandments are not the "Christian Ten Commandments".  A quick check in Wikipedia clearly shows "The Ten Commandments, also known as the Decalogue, are a set of commandments which the Bible describes as having been given to the Israelites by God at biblical Mount Sinai. The Ten Commandments are listed twice in the Hebrew Bible, first at Exodus 20:1–17, and then at Deuteronomy 5:4–21. Both versions state that God inscribed them on two stone tablets, which he gave to Moses."

Exodus and Deuteronomy are both books of the Torah which was written centuries before the birth of Jesus.

Exodus 20:1-17 reads:

And God spoke all these words, saying,

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

13 “You shall not murder.

14 “You shall not commit adultery.

15 “You shall not steal.

16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

17 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

Deuteronomy 5:4-21 repeats:

The Lord spoke with you face to face at the mountain, out of the midst of the fire, 5 while I stood between the Lord and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the Lord. For you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up into the mountain. He said:

6 “‘I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

7 “‘You shall have no other gods before me.

8 “‘You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. 9 You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

11 “‘You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

12 “‘Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant, or your ox or your donkey or any of your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. 15 You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.

16 “‘Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

17 “‘You shall not murder.

18 “‘And you shall not commit adultery.

19 “‘And you shall not steal.

20 “‘And you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

21 “‘And you shall not covet your neighbor's wife. And you shall not desire your neighbor's house, his field, or his male servant, or his female servant, his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.’

In the 22nd chapter of the Gospel according to Matthew, there is the story of the conversation between Jesus and a lawyer.  It reads:

But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

If one compares the Ten Commandments from the Torah to the two commandments spoken by Jesus, one can see that "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" is a summary of the first five commandments.  And that "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" is a summary of the last five.

As to the definition of the word "neighbor", Jesus, quoted in the tenth chapter of Luke's gospel, tells the following story:

Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road, and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 And the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him, and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ 36 Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” 37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”

A particularly significant point is that the "one who showed...mercy" was a Samaritan, an enemy of the injured man, not like the priest or Levite.

Edited by Admin_01
capitalization of title changed
  • Downvote 2

Actually, as I understand it, the Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant commandments are somewhat different in wording and order, hence the banning of same in a Southern US courthouse. Sectarian preference and all. 

On a related note: when people ask me if I believe in the Bible, my response is "which one". After that I usually hear crickets!

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pantah said:

Actually, as I understand it, the Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant commandments are somewhat different in wording and order, hence the banning of same in a Southern US courthouse. Sectarian preference and all. 

On a related note: when people ask me if I believe in the Bible, my response is "which one". After that I usually hear crickets!

There is a story, supposedly true, about a woman who goes into a bookstore and asks to buy a Bible.  The clerk says, "Which version?"  The woman says, "What do you mean?"  The clerk says, "Which version of the Bible do you want?"  She says, "The one that Jesus wrote."

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Other people's faiths are their business, and mine is my own. Why is a Bible study topic being discussed here?

By the way, I like Wikipedia but as a reference it is only as good as the source providing the information.

Totally agree with Keith!

Bud,

Is religious topic's part of the "not to be allowed" rules on CL?

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

...Why is a Bible study topic being discussed here?

11 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Is religious topic's part of the "not to be allowed" rules on CL?

When this topic was originally posted, the principals of this website had a lengthy conversation. We tried to understand the originator's intention in posting something that was not directly related to life in Chiriqui. Refer to Rule 22 in our Rules (http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/6-terms-rules/). The originator's first paragraph made reference to an unspecified posting that caused this new topic. We presumed that she was responding to Dr. Sleepwell's third paragraph at:

We concluded that there was no intent to attack or abuse Dr. Sleepwell. Rather this appears to be a very deep conviction on her part.

Then there was a question about the creation of a new topic rather than posting her thoughts as a reply associated with the troublesome words. We decided to attribute the creation of a new topic to lack of experience with this website. Note that as of this writing she has only posted twice, and has been a member less than two weeks.

Our decision was to give the originator the benefit of the doubt because she was not attacking or abusing, and to take no further action unless members escalated the matter of compliance with the published rules. Two members now have publicly questioned compliance, plus some private messages doing the same have been received.

We are responding publicly, following our conviction to transparency, and are locking this topic. We know there are those who will disagree with this action, but we are compelled to enforce the rules uniformly and without bias.

The originator has been sent two private messages about this topic, both of which discussed the need to comply with published rules.

• Administrators

The following email from Brandy is being posted with her permission. Email addresses have been redacted.

Date: January 13, 2016 at 7:09:52 AM EST
To: Bud Huber <bud.huber@grommet.net>
Subject: Apology
Reply-To: Brandy Gregory <tnrnmsg@yahoo.com>

Dear Bud,

I apologize and am truly sorry that my post on Chiiqui Life caused such problems.  My sole intent in writing the post was to correct Mark Heyer's incorrect statements referring to the "Christian Ten Commandments" and loving one's neighbor "like a brother".  And I did quote from Exodus, Leviticus and Matthew only to back up my correction.  I would have used appropriate citations to back up my position in refuting any other discussion.  

Yes, I am a Christian.  I am not ashamed of that, nor do I try to hide the fact.  Neither do I try to force it on others.  Apparently, though, my post was interpreted that way.  

I understand your closing my post.  If you wish to remove it completely, I understand that, too. (I've not checked the site yet today.)

Sincerely,

Brandy Gregory

This topic remains locked. If you would like to respond to anything here, please start a new topic and reference this topic title.