Hefty Sentences for Murderous Minors

Hefty sentences for murderous minors.

Superior Juvenile Court confirms sentence for three teenagers for double homicide in David

A sentence of 16 years of imprisonment was imposed on three young people, by the Superior Court of Childhood with headquarters in Panama, which confirmed the sentence issued in the first instance by a Criminal Judge of Adolescents in Chiriquí where these persons are held responsible of the double homicide against David Monje of 18 years and of a minor of 14 years of age, which happened in the district of David, in January of 2015.

During the oral trial held in May, the Public Ministry through the Specialized Prosecutor Jonhy Torres Villarreal managed to accredit the evidence confirming the guilt of these people, with the commission of the facts, which allowed issuing the sentence No. 13 where the penalty is set to comply, for these people who at the time of the events had, two of them 17 and one 15 years.

The events that caused the tragic event in which these two victims lost their lives were for the date of January 17, 2015, after they disappeared, which led to their search and days later the bodies were found by residents of the Port sector Pital, in the corregimiento of Las Lomas.

For this crime, another adult person is sentenced to prison, who was sentenced in a trial under the parameters of the Inquisitorial System to a prison term of 30 years. Likewise, an adolescent who declared himself confessed to the facts accepted a penalty agreement and, prior to the trial, was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment.

http://ministeriopublico.gob.pa/tribunal-superior-de-ninez-confirma-sentencia-para-tres-adolescentes-por-doble-homicidio-en-david/

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Hefty Sentences for Murderous Minors

Heftier than letting them loose because they are too young to imprison.   Two murders get them 16 yr.  That to me seems light.   Adults gets 30 yrs for that.  So here you have a teen in prison for 16 yr...he comes out of prison well learned in the ways pf crime unless of course he turns a new leaf  while there.  I'd be interested to know what kind of programs there are for wayward imprisoned youth here.   

This lengthy jail term seems to be a step in the right direction, albeit a small step.

As for Alison's question: resources to help wayward youth, be they imprisoned or otherwise -- you gotta be kidding. As commented in other articles posted here and on other media, Panama has not committed the appropriate resources to basic things, such as education, water purity, health care, etc. This is not just my opinion, but one shared by many.

Alison, good thought, and maybe it will happen someday.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bud said:

This lengthy jail term seems to be a step in the right direction

That's my opinion.

What impressed me about this case is that the deaths weren't blown off by the authorities as just being the unfortunate result of inter-gang violence, which they actually were. A total of 78 years were handed down.

I posted this because there are still many people out there who believe that all juvenile offenders are immediately released and never made to pay for their crimes, and that's just not so.

• Upvote 1

Vocational training schools.  Couples such as my husband and I would donate yearly toward scholarships for kids that might not be able to get out of poverty were it not for assistance of others. I know for sure we are not alone.  Skills: automotive repair, welding, woodworking, sewing , etc.......

Centro Educativo Arturo Miro is located in Potrerillos Arriba.

This article concerning the centre was published about 2 years ago.

Inauguration of prevention program at the Arturo Miró farm in Chiriquí

Last Friday, February 5, the inauguration of the GREAT program took place at the Arturo Miró farm, whose main objective is prevention, to contribute to the wave of existing crime, as well as to train and guide the children and adolescents who are interned in this farm.

This farm functions as a center for rehabilitation and placement of minors in especially difficult circumstances and minors at social risk.

This program also consists of a 6-week training for children who are in the primary stage and 12 weeks for the pre-secondary and secondary, at the end of the academic semester each participant will receive a certificate issued by the Embassy of the United States.

It should be noted that this program is sponsored by the Embassy of the United States and will be taught by the Child and Adolescent Police of the Province of Chiriquí by the Trainer Lieutenant Jorge Gallardo.

This agreement was requested by the judge of Children and Adolescents of the province of Chiriqui, Margarita Camargo de González had the authorization at the national level of the Director of Police Omar Pinzón, sub Commissioner Aida Villareal of the Police for Children and Adolescents and the commissioner Erik Amaya.

The police authorities from the Chiriqui area, the sub-commissioner Manuel Venze, the lieutenant Hector Sánchez, the Board of Arturo Miró Farm and the Judicial Body the Judge for Children and Adolescents of the Province of Chiriquí participated in the event.

Arturo Miro Farm currently has a population of 80 children, only males between the ages of 10 to 18 years old and is located in Potrerillo, district of Dolega province of Chiriquí, in this center is home to children of all the country and receive help from other institutions such as MIDES and SENNIAF.

http://www.organojudicial.gob.pa/noticias/inauguran-programa-de-prevencion-en-la-granja-arturo-miro-en-chiriqui

http://www.lifeqwestgallery.com/album/panama_-_escuela_granja_arturo_miro

As I understand it, this is a  confinement and school which includes some vocational training for children under 18 who are what we might term delinquent.  If sent there by court mandate they are sent to the common adult prison once they reach 18. The country could use some larger and better equipped facilities such as this one. ( capacity is 80)   From what I read it was initially sponsored financially by the Embassy of the USA.  I assume Lifequest a religious group did some volunteer work there.  The "Granja" is as well supported by local businesses such as ELMEC.  

Edited by Brundageba