Renewing driver's license

I went to David this morning to renew my driver's license and was turned away because the pensionado carnet I produced was a copy. I knew I had to have the original because the same thing happened to my husband, but I thought I HAD the original. They look exactly the same to me. (This was my fault for not taking both just to be safe. But it seems to me that the computer would have shown that I was duly visa-ed.)

I went home to get my original carnet and returned nearly to be sent away again. Because I'm over seventy, I had a doctor's statement attesting to my health, but it bore the name "Bonnie Jackson Williams" while my passport and carnet said "Bonnie J. Williams." I pointed out that the passport number on the doctor's report was the number on my passport, but the woman didn't relent until I produced a U.S. driver's license bearing my full name.

Be forewarned.

Incidentally, she didn't ask for any information relating to my vehicles although I was prepared with absolutely everything.

The good news is that I was in and out (the second time) in under 45 minutes.

Bonnie

Unfortunatelly people who works on public offices dont think.  They work by the book and are so rigid that sometimes I feel they make people lose their time and didnt help to make things easier for customers.

So In order to do things quicker and dont become angry I go to all public offices prepared with all my documents.  If something is missing..... well I count to 100 and return back again.  

9 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I went to David this morning to renew my driver's license and was turned away because the pensionado carnet I produced was a copy. I knew I had to have the original because the same thing happened to my husband, but I thought I HAD the original. They look exactly the same to me. (This was my fault for not taking both just to be safe. But it seems to me that the computer would have shown that I was duly visa-ed.)

I went home to get my original carnet and returned nearly to be sent away again. Because I'm over seventy, I had a doctor's statement attesting to my health, but it bore the name "Bonnie Jackson Williams" while my passport and carnet said "Bonnie J. Williams." I pointed out that the passport number on the doctor's report was the number on my passport, but the woman didn't relent until I produced a U.S. driver's license bearing my full name.

Be forewarned.

Incidentally, she didn't ask for any information relating to my vehicles although I was prepared with absolutely everything.

The good news is that I was in and out (the second time) in under 45 minutes.

Did they ask you to make an appointment and come back?  That happened to someone else.

Bonnie, I envy your two trips to get your drivers license. My stops to this office required five trips. Yup, I said five times. This was my first drivers license in Panama so the US license had to be certified by the consulate in PC. Then back to the David office. Needed physical exam. Wrong type Doctor certification so back to the Chiriqui Hospital to visit another doctor. Oh, oh that second exam wasn't complete because the doc needed to certify "not diabetic". Then there was the required eye examination papers. On the next trip to the drivers license office I said to my husband "do I know all the road signs posted in Panama?" His answer was "here's the manual. You have three minutes before we get to the office so study fast". By this time it's late in the afternoon and I'm thinking I don't even want to drive in Panama anyway.

Back to that office and I get yet another clerk looking at me and asking "what do you want?"  Finally was ushered into a separate area for the hearing check. I was asked only a few road sign questions which fortunately I answered correctly.

Whee.....took all day, was interviewed by every clerk in the place, paid my money, and got my drivers license.

No one even asked if I had a car. 9_9

Next out to the car, drove over the curb and on to home. Can't  wait until renewal time.

• 2 months later...
On 17/12/2015 at 3:41 PM, Marcelyn said:

US license had to be certified by the consulate in PC.

Has this been the experience of others? 

We never did anything like that the first time but it was 10-12 years ago. 

Also, any idea why you required a physical exam?  Have others had this requirement?  Again, it wasn't required 10 years ago but they did require a random blood sugar, which is rather unsupportable scientifically.