Complaint About High and Rising Even Higher Prices of Certain Consumables

Bud

This is a complaint about outrageous prices for certain items in Panama.

I would assume that most gringos have a clothes washing machine in their home. We do. It is an energy efficient model and works very well. It requires the use of what is called "HE" soap. I believe "HE" stands for high efficiency. We typically use the liquid Tide brand that we get at PriceSmart.

Yesterday we went to David (first trip in many weeks) because we were out of just about everything, including laundry soap. We purchased one container of Tide laundry detergent, and the price now is $31.99, not including tax. It wasn't that long ago that it was in the mid $20s, and few months before that in the lower $20s.

Last fall we were in the US and stopped by a large and well-known grocery store chain, but not a warehouse business. The same bottle of Tide HE soap was under $14.00. The price now in Panama is more than double. It must have arrived via private chartered airplane with dedicated attendants. :o

This is outrageous price gouging, in my opinion.

• Admin_01 changed the title to Complaint About High and Rising Even Higher Prices of Certain Consumables

I've never thought Pricesmart was inexpensive despite all the hype. I can see how it might work for large families, but now that there's just one of me and my dogs can no longer eat Kirkland dog food, I don't think I'll renew my membership. It's nice to stock up on paper goods, but I'm not sure it's worth the membership fee.

12 minutes ago, Bud said:

This is a complaint about outrageous prices for certain items in Panama.

I would assume that most gringos have a clothes washing machine in their home. We do. It is an energy efficient model and works very well. It requires the use of what is called "HE" soap. I believe "HE" stands for high efficiency. We typically use the liquid Tide brand that we get at PriceSmart.

Yesterday we went to David (first trip in many weeks) because we were out of just about everything, including laundry soap. We purchased one container of Tide laundry detergent, and the price now is $31.99, not including tax. It wasn't that long ago that it was in the mid $20s, and few months before that in the lower $20s.

Last fall we were in the US and stopped by a large and well-known grocery store chain, but not a warehouse business. The same bottle of Tide HE soap was under $14.00. The price now in Panama is more than double. It must have arrived via private chartered airplane with dedicated attendants. :o

This is outrageous price gouging, in my opinion.

Bud,

There was a rash of Tide thefts at retailers in the states years ago due to the high prices which forced them to attach RFID chips to track them.  Ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, TwoSailors said:

That is outrageous. Time to get detergent in Mandarin.

Will check out Mandarin in the near future for laundry soap and other home consumables.

Thanks for the referral.

1 hour ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Bud,

There was a rash of Tide thefts at retailers in the states years ago due to the high prices which forced them to attach RFID chips to track them.  Ridiculous. 

I can understand why people would steal Tide. Such price gouging might make me think along those lines. Why get shot robbing a bank; just look at the gains to be made with selling Tide soap on the gray market. :$

11 minutes ago, Bud said:

Wow, how stupid can some people really be? I guess this says there is no limit.....

Or was this a joke?

Bud,

Unfortunately it's a serious problem.  When we were all kids we could play all day with our friends using our imagination.  Kids today resort to things like this when the the internet is unavailable because they have no imagination.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Tide laundry detergent, and the price now is $31.99,

Occasionally when watching Barbados TV we would see a fun commercial segment sponsored by a supermarket called Run for Yuh Money, where someone gets to tear around the store for sixty seconds and fill as many carts as they can.  Surprised me that laundry products came right after meats and liquor in terms of being high value, easy to grab items.

• Haha 1