Opening of the Fair Coincides with Inauguration of Expanded Santiago-David PanAmerican Highway

1 hour ago, John R Hampton said:

Bonnie, stop trying to be logical.

You're right, John. I thought I had gotten over that, but apparently it's embedded in my psyche to try to understand something by applying logic. It's generally futile in Panama.

I find it interesting that President Varela, with a newfound interest in Boquete, is going out of his way to advertise the Flower and Coffee Fair. One would think (if one were unable to let go of logic) that, in preparation for this highly touted event, he would have exerted some persuasion to have the road and bridges situation finalized before the Fair. It's really confounding to me because so much of logic is just common sense.

5 hours ago, Bonnie said:

This is a disgrace. After all this time, no on or off ramps. Were ramps not built into the planning?

The expanded Via Boquete highway was constructed during the Martinelli administration and had to be completed during his term.

Expropriations and easements, such as those required to complete the configuration of ramps, take forever. Had the government waited for those to be obtained, the highway would probably never have been built.

The culture doesn’t seem to demand perfection, and will settle for improvement, imo.

Edited by Keith Woolford

10 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Expropriations and easements, such as those required to complete the configuration of ramps, take forever. Had the government waited for those to be obtained, the highway would probably never have been built.

Other countries appear to be able to provide for entry/exit easements during the planning stage. I can't recall ever having been in a country that didn't. I assume there were a LOT of expropriations and easements obtained in constructing the road itself, so it's hard to understand why these weren't negotiated at the same time.

Keith, I'm going to start addressing you as Mr. Panamanian Apologist. 9_9

28 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Keith, I'm going to start addressing you as Mr. Panamanian Apologist.

My only apology is that I'm sorry my attempts at explanations are seen as invalid, but it has been one of my observations that many North Americans would rather just complain about a situation than try to understand it.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

My only apology is that I'm sorry my attempts at explanations are seen as invalid, but it has been one of my observations that many North Americans would rather just complain about a situation than try to understand it.

Panama. It's their country!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Keith, your explanations are of value and are appreciated. But explanations,  even when they lead to understanding, don’t necessarily satisfy. Sorry, but I consider the lack of entry/exit ramps to be a major oversight that inconveniences thousands of people. To my mind, it is not a petty issue undeserving of criticism. 

Two Sailors, of course it’s their country. Does that make Panamanians exempt from judgement by non-Panamanian residents? I am a permanent resident of Panama, have lived here for eleven years, pay taxes, hire Panamanian employees, support Panamanian businesses, and more. As a longtime resident, I consider it my country, too. And just as in the U.S., I have the right to criticize it.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

Based on some off-forum communications I've received, there seems to be a general misunderstanding of what constitutes an "apologist". It is not one who apologizes, but "a person who argues to defend or justify some policy or institution." And this is exactly what I meant when I jokingly suggested that Keith is a Panamanian apologist. He defends Panama at every opportunity, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but  I neither apologize nor defend Panama at every opportunity, as can be evidenced by my criticisms of court decisions and driving habits. 

I have a pretty good insight into how things work here and merely try to present a reasonable explanation as to why some things happen.

Nevermind-or-Never-Mind.gif.78c1abefc888de654f3d2fd073f56f90.gifthe way they do.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

Sorry but  I neither apologize nor defend Panama at every opportunity, as can be evidenced by my criticisms of court decisions and driving habits. 

I have a pretty good insight into how things work here and merely try to present a reasonable explanation as to why some things happen.

Nevermind-or-Never-Mind.gif.78c1abefc888de654f3d2fd073f56f90.gifthe way they do.

Point taken.

On 1/9/2018 at 7:07 AM, Penny said:

Ramps?? We don't need no stinkin' ramps.

On another note, I think I heard that the bus station is not going to be moved to the new Federal Mall afterall.

Actually, I heard that yesterday from a knowledgeable source, as well.  For some reason, the Bus Drivers Union put up a big stink about it and it's not going to happen.  I don't know if construction had begun before that decision, but I assume so.

This is a summary of the President's speech inaugurating the expanded route.

The correct path was to protect jobs and finish works, said President Varela, inaugurating the Santiago-David highway

image.thumb.png.562329c7a437cccdd823b77dbdec31a4.png

It benefits commerce, tourism, economy and there will be better prices of the products.

The rehabilitation and expansion to four lanes of the Pan-American highway Santiago-David, with an investment of 1,086 million balboas, provides greater security to the thousands of users, favors the commercial exchange between Panama and Central America, tourism, and reduces the cost of transport of goods to the capital city and vice versa.

This was stated today by the President of the Republic, Juan Carlos Varela, in El Peñón de Veraguas where, together with the Public Works head, Ramón Arosemena, inaugurated this road of infrastructure work of 188 kilometers, and the five sections include the maintenance period.

"Today I am happy with the road I chose, I do not regret it because innocent people would had been affected if the bills were not paid, if the works were abandoned and communities and thousands of workers were affected”, said the President.

He affirmed that he is proud of who knows that the ship of the government and the State will arrive at safe harbor, after having sailed through turbulent and dangerous waters, very stormy, but manned by a brave, honest and determined team to reach a safe harbor.

This project was adequate during this Administration and incorporated new jersey barriers, sound strips on the shoulder, new vehicular returns were added to make it a safer route.

"This work was tendered and hired in the previous Government, I do not want to talk about how it was tendered, that is not up to me, I have to protect the works, the jobs and correct the administrative errors, because the other errors are corrected by the justice”, he said.

The work includes the construction of 29 bridges, 84 returns, 17 pedestrian bridges, two new lanes and the rehabilitation of the two existing ones and the installation of shock absorber impact.

"Together we have started the project of changing the past of few opportunities for Panama for a future of hope, of real opportunities and pride for all the inhabitants and we are achieving it. What we need most in this country is unity. Being united in a single cause and advancing the country towards what it should be: the Nation of all Panamanians”, said the Chief of the Executive.

In the meantime, Minister Arosemena said that this new viability will boost international trade, mainly the one that is maintained with the Central American countries, as well as the agricultural producers that will be able to move their products more quickly to the different points of production and commercialization.

He said that the Government of the Republic of Panama will continue working on projects that generate development and progress to its inhabitants through public events with transparency.

https://www.presidencia.gob.pa/en/News/The-correct-was-to-protect-jobs-and-finish-works-said-President-Varela-inaugurating-the-Santiago-David-highway

Edited by Keith Woolford