Flooding On The Caribbean Side, Falling Trees Kill Two, 50+ Homes Damaged, etc.

My property backs up to the Palo Alto River, and I can hear it roaring this afternoon. During floods, the river moves rocks from upstream. Smart idea to close that bridge. I used it coming and going somewhere this morning, but I was uneasy about it even then, when things weren't nearly as bad.

As I'm reading the satellite weather pictures, it looks like we could be in for several more days of this. Can those of you better schooled in weather prediction than I please weigh in?

• Moderators

Falling trees kill two, 50 homes damaged

river.jpg
Post Views: 97

TWO PEOPLE  were killed and nearly a score of homes damaged by falling trees brought down by strong winds and heavy rains in Bocas del Toro on Saturday, December 9.

The Cricamola River in the district of Kankintú, in the Ngäbe Buglé district, overflowed  its banks on Sunday and left some  14 homes affected in the Bisira communities # 1 and # 2, while heavy rains in the afternoon hours damaged over 50 homes  in Bocas del Toro reports  the  National Civil Protection Service (Sinaproc).

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/falling-trees-kill-two-50-homes-damaged

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Flooding On The Caribbean Side, Falling Trees Kill Two, 50+ Homes Damaged, etc.

This satellite photo indicates that we have a few days to go, but, if you zoom in, it also indicates that the storm has moved westward.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/pa/national/satellite

I live in Palo Alto right on the river, a short way above the bridge next to The Palo Alto Inn that's been closed. What I've experienced today and tonight is, as the satellite suggests, much less intense rain and wind. Late yesterday, I understand, the police and Sinaproc approached neighbors farther up the road toward Tree Trek and suggested that they evacuate. The authorities did not visit me, presumably because my property is farther back from the river as a result of the 2008 flood. That flood took a chunk of my property. Afterward, the river itself was pushed north and levees were built. I believe the levees were breached yesterday, but the river itself still has plenty of room to stretch out. Those whose properties are closer to the river are in somewhat more dire straits should the rain pick up again and linger around. I'm not letting my guard down, though.

• Like 1