Another tale of serious corruption, this time involving a Court where justice could be bought and paid for, the Segundo Tribunal de Justicia.

Prosecutors are calling 29 people to trial, including Court employees and jurors, for their parts in the operation of a criminal ring which rigged Court appearances, bail arrangements, disposition of evidence, and verdicts.

One article states $7,000 as being the fee to walk away from a homicide charge.

http://laestrella.com.pa/panama/politica/fiscalia-pide-juicio-para-29-personas-corrupcion-corte/24025049

350760_800x600_crop_59cc69fd6c103.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford

AS I SEE IT.

Yes.  There is corruption in our 3 powers in our state and government systems:  Judicial, legislative and Executive.  There are some people that not only crave for the political power but also crave more for the economical power.  People wants money in an easy a quick way.   They want to get rich not matter what.

Why this is happening?  What do we have to do to stop it?  

If everything starts from the government officials and they did it freely and without consecuences what will the normal population will think and do.  If we are living in a place of pirates then you will be a fool if you dont act and become a pirate too.

I have phrase that I use to illustrate this:  When your song is not good, even to clean office, get him to be a politician.  There he could make money fast, doesnt need to go to college and he could get rid of any legal consecuences.

Our lawmakers usually makes laws to protect them from legal actions and investigations about corruption acts they could be involved.  Recently in some countries in South America they did laws where corruptions crimes committed by any government official wont prescribe in time.  They will be open until by any other circunstances should be closed.  Of course our legislators or diputados (senators) reacted.  People is pushing hard because they are tired of those people getting rich with our money.  

The other problem is law enforcement.  Rich people and powerful politicians has economic resources, legal resources and a system that makes them to get away from legal actions against them.  This should be stopped.  But hey!  This happens also in big and developed countries.  The problem is that Panama is a very little country and is very noticeable all the cases that develops.  It is a big scandal here... but what we can do.  People can only protest and demand for justice.  If they commit a crime they should pay for it as any normal citizen.  

This is not good for any country and a lot of people in Panama is fighting to end this bad practice.  It will took some time.  We don't want to have corrupt politicians.  People are asking to not re-elect the actual diputados and for shure the political party of the actual president Varela wont have any chance to win next elections.  People are for some amendments in our constitution.  This president promised to do it but.... he wont shoot himself on his foot.   So he hasn't done it yet.... and seems like he is not going to do that.  

We keep fighting.  We keep trying to the best for our little country.  It is a hard job but not impossible.

• Upvote 1

On 9/28/2017 at 9:52 AM, MarieElaine said:

Bribery seems to be a common theme in Panama.  I was told I could avoid a driving test if I gave the instructor $100.  Seems it exists on many levels here.

For its existence and recurrence bribery may need to things.  A person who ask for a bribe.... and specially a person who is willing to pay the bribe.   

If for any reason you wanted to avoid the driving test and pay the bribe.... you are also guilty of the bribery sin.  Dont feed the corrupt people.

In my life prior to Panama, I worked in the field of governmental ethics. Virtually without exception, when I spoke to government officers and personnel in second and third world countries and brought up laws prohibiting the use of public position for private gain, they looked at me like I had two heads. In discussions, I learned that in many cases bribe money made up the majority of a public official's or employee's salary. In these cases, the fault lies with the governments that won't pay a living wage. In the case of high level, well-compensated officials, they justify bribery and other forms of misuse of office on the basis of common practice. They maintain that it's the only way most people know how to do business. It's just the way it is. This is an educational issue, but a very difficult one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Roger B said:

AS I SEE IT.

Yes.  There is corruption in our 3 powers in our state and government systems:  Judicial, legislative and Executive.  There are some people that not only crave for the political power but also crave more for the economical power.  People wants money in an easy a quick way.   They want to get rich not matter what.

Why this is happening?  What do we have to do to stop it?  

If everything starts from the government officials and they did it freely and without consecuences what will the normal population will think and do.  If we are living in a place of pirates then you will be a fool if you dont act and become a pirate too.

I have phrase that I use to illustrate this:  When your song is not good, even to clean office, get him to be a politician.  There he could make money fast, doesnt need to go to college and he could get rid of any legal consecuences.

Our lawmakers usually makes laws to protect them from legal actions and investigations about corruption acts they could be involved.  Recently in some countries in South America they did laws where corruptions crimes committed by any government official wont prescribe in time.  They will be open until by any other circunstances should be closed.  Of course our legislators or diputados (senators) reacted.  People is pushing hard because they are tired of those people getting rich with our money.  

The other problem is law enforcement.  Rich people and powerful politicians has economic resources, legal resources and a system that makes them to get away from legal actions against them.  This should be stopped.  But hey!  This happens also in big and developed countries.  The problem is that Panama is a very little country and is very noticeable all the cases that develops.  It is a big scandal here... but what we can do.  People can only protest and demand for justice.  If they commit a crime they should pay for it as any normal citizen.  

This is not good for any country and a lot of people in Panama is fighting to end this bad practice.  It will took some time.  We don't want to have corrupt politicians.  People are asking to not re-elect the actual diputados and for shure the political party of the actual president Varela wont have any chance to win next elections.  People are for some amendments in our constitution.  This president promised to do it but.... he wont shoot himself on his foot.   So he hasn't done it yet.... and seems like he is not going to do that.  

We keep fighting.  We keep trying to the best for our little country.  It is a hard job but not impossible.

Keep pushing against it.  Never stop.  This country has so much going for it .  What a shame to have it lose ground due to corruption.

Who has the power to stop it?  Only the people doing it. Highly unlikely. Where are the comments from the "it's the culture" defenders? I guess even they can't justify this deeply embedded cultural practice. Some things are just wrong, culture or not.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely.   It's self justified cheating and stealing  .  How are youth to be raised up learning the importance of right and wrong if this is standard practice among "trusted" elected representatives of the people?   How can an elected official fight crime on the street if the criminals justify  their behavior by what they see in their own government?

Edited by Brundageba

On 10/1/2017 at 5:24 AM, JudyS said:

Who has the power to stop it?  Only the people doing it. Highly unlikely. Where are the comments from the "it's the culture" defenders? I guess even they can't justify this deeply embedded cultural practice. Some things are just wrong, culture or not.

JudyS

Everybody in Panama knows that corruption is bad and is aware of what it is doing.  Look at the recent polls how people in Panama grade or rate this government in terms of transparency and trust.  Less than 26%!!!  It is extremely low.  People dont trust our actual government.  

Who has the power to stop t?? Well the authorities and lawmakers.  But they dont want to make laws that will hurt them in a future so we are not safe yet.  People are asking to change a lot a laws that could make easier to investigate not only the low level government official but the big shots in high positions.  They are involved in corruption because they know they can get away without any consecuences.  

Every new member of the National Assembly promise to make changes in the law and fight the corruption but when they are seated in power they suffer from amnesia and forget the promises.  Everything remains the same.  Nothing change.