While I'm not a big gourmet cook, I do enjoy making some American comfort food once in awhile. I haven't had a good pot roast in Panama forever. As you all know, pot roast requires a cut of beef called "chuck" and that's just not available here. Well, yesterday I stopped at the El Palacio de la Carne in David and spoke to the butcher. He knows how to cut American cuts of beef and given a few days notice he'll cut you a chuck steak. His name is Alexandro and the cashier's name is Veronica and their phone numbers are 73-3746 and 6969-1420. This is a great butcher shop just about 2 blocks from the Pan American (turn just before the DK tire store). Their hamburger is the best and I hear their smoked pork chops are wonderful. And, best of all, it doesn't stink like some David butcher shops.

Bill and I discovered a cut of beef from the lower leg of the cow called "jarette". It appears to be the calf portion with tendons attached.    (It's so popular that sometimes Romero rations out how much they sell. ) We discovered that the best place for finding it is Super 89 across from the Canasta Basica down at the "Y" in the divided highway in Dolega.   The meat is lean, flavorful and loaded with  tendons that cook down into a gelatin that's yummy.   

To prepare the meat for a great pot roast feel:  Cut into 2-3" chunks.  Put into a pressure cooker pot to fill the pot about 1/3 full.  Toss in a garlic powder packet and 1 or 2 packets of chicken stock powder.  Fill the pot with enough water to just cover the meat.  Put on the pressure cooker lid and cook for one hour once the wobbler starts to move.   

I like to sear the meat first nice and brown before I start with the water and the hour cooking.  Cook on low heat so that the wobbler is barely moving....

This started as dog food until we discovered how good Flossy was eating !!!!...

IMG_2094.JPG

46 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Going east or west on the Panamerican?

Turn right at the DK Tire store when traveling East (toward Panama City) on the Pan American Highway. You will see the very ugly Palacio Hotel on the left corner. Cross the street and the Palacio Butcher shop is immediately on the left. Best hamburger you ever ate. They know how much fat to grind into it.

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

Bill and I discovered a cut of beef from the lower leg of the cow called "jarette". It appears to be the calf portion with tendons attached.    (It's so popular that sometimes Romero rations out how much they sell. ) We discovered that the best place for finding it is Super 89 across from the Canasta Basica down at the "Y" in the divided highway in Dolega.   The meat is lean, flavorful and loaded with  tendons that cook down into a gelatin that's yummy.   

To prepare the meat for a great pot roast feel:  Cut into 2-3" chunks.  Put into a pressure cooker pot to fill the pot about 1/3 full.  Toss in a garlic powder packet and 1 or 2 packets of chicken stock powder.  Fill the pot with enough water to just cover the meat.  Put on the pressure cooker lid and cook for one hour once the wobbler starts to move.   

I like to sear the meat first nice and brown before I start with the water and the hour cooking.  Cook on low heat so that the wobbler is barely moving....

This started as dog food until we discovered how good Flossy was eating !!!!...

IMG_2094.JPG

I agree that Jarette is the closest thing. When you find it in Price Smart it's cut into smaller pieces and is great for stew or vegetable beef soup. However, for pot roast, I want a chuck roast.

Jarrete.   Yup.  We went to the Super 89 yesterday and they had none.  Then we turned around and went back to Romeros and found out Romero had upped the prices on all their meat.  yeiks.   Got some Jarrete but it's no longer a cheap cut.  Had to downsize a bit to Falda limpia.  It cooked up tasting pretty good mixed with some jarrete.

Let us know how the Chuck hunt goes.