Layover timings to and from U.S.

I'm planning a trip from the U.S. to David in February 2022 on Copa Airlines (I'm a U.S. citizen). What would be a minimum layover time in PTY in and outbound to allow for clearing customs, immigration, Covid, and baggage transfer to my connecting flight to and from David? Inbound it seems I have layover choices of 1:52, 5:11, and 11:35. I want to like the 1:52 layover, but to be safe I probably need the 5:11, and I think I might choose driving over the 11:35 layover. On the way back to the U.S. layovers are 1:20, 7:56, and 8:19. The 1:20 seems too short so I would probably go with the 7:56 layover to be safe.

Does anyone have recent experience with this route and necessary timings?

1:52 is easily doable, providing your flight from the US isn't more than 30 mins late.  We have done a 1:10 layover a few times before.  However, just to be sure, check how many other international flights arrive around the same time as yours to try to determine how long the lines might be at immigration and customs.  Once you have exited customs, the walk to the tiny domestic terminal (no lines at security) is less than 5 minutes.  Just make sure your documents are in order, including https://www.panamadigital.gob.pa/RegistroPacoViajero

Again, for the return, 1:20 is doable. 

Edited by Joyful

Agree with Joyful’s comments. I’ve found that Copa does a pretty good job of booking the appropriate connecting/through flights, if you have everything on one reservation. The hard part recently has been connecting to a live Copa agent by phone.

Be on the watch for cancelled flights, which has now happened twice with bad results.

Edited by Moderator_02
per member's request to fix a grammatical error

Hello:

At the current time, COPA is only operating one (1) flight per day each way --- one to Panama City (9:40 a.m.) and one from Panama City (7:37 a.m.).

For the current time, most in-bound flights to Panama require that you spend the night in a hotel in PC and catch the next day, morning flight.

** As of today **  ALWAYS subject to change (especially by February).

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/pa

Brian

16 hours ago, Whskyman said:

Hello:

At the current time, COPA is only operating one (1) flight per day each way --- one to Panama City (9:40 a.m.) and one from Panama City (7:37 a.m.).

For the current time, most in-bound flights to Panama require that you spend the night in a hotel in PC and catch the next day, morning flight.

** As of today **  ALWAYS subject to change (especially by February).

https://www.copaair.com/en/web/pa

Brian

Not true!  Google Flights shows 2 flights from PTY tomorrow.

23 hours ago, Whskyman said:

Great info to know and yes, per the COPA website, they are beginning the 2 flights per day (each way).

And, IF you read my previous posting correctly ...  I said "at the current time"..... so saying "Not true!" was incorrect.

It's not every day and they have been operating the 2nd flight for 3 days per week (Tue, Fri and Sat, I believe) for a few weeks now.