4.2 quake in Panama, March 14, 2019

• Moderators

4.2 quake in Panama

Posted 14/03/2019

quake.jpg

An earth tremor of magnitude 4.2 on the  Richter scale was felt in Panama City, in the early hours of Thursday reports Panama University Institute of Geosciences. The quake was recorded at 02:09 local time with its epicenter in the Pacific 64 kilometers south of Chepo district which is 40 km east of the capital.

https://newsroompanama.com/news/42-quake-in-panama

• Moderators

Seems that there were two (or three?) earthquakes on the same day but in or affecting different parts of Panama. This was last Thursday, March 14th.

The first image below is earlier in the day in the Panama City area, magnitude 4.3 according to this source. The second image is late afternoon in the Sabalito area of Costa Rica, magnitude 2.8 according to this source.

Marcelyn and I were attending the BCP performance of A Red Plaid Shirt, and we felt the second tremor. It was NOT a rumbling earthquake, but rather a very short jolting that reminded me of the spat of tremors about a decade ago that lasted for many weeks here in our area. There is a bit of a puzzle in my mind, as the timing of this second reported earthquake does NOT synch up with my recollection of when we felt the jolt at the BCP Theater. I recall it being about an hour later (and no, I am not confused about time zone issues here).

image.png

image.png

• Moderators

Thanks Keith. I completely missed your posting about the Potrerillos area tremors. Things make more sense with that piece of information added to the picture, especially timing-wise.

Maybe I should merge these two topics to keep things together. Hmmm. Thoughts?