Efficacy of Daily Low Dose Aspirin

The findings of a study conducted by The New England Journal of Medicine conclude that taking one low dose aspirin a day may be dangerous for those who have not suffered previous cardiovascular issues. Upon reading it, my mouth dropped open as the low dose aspirin regime has been endorsed by the medical community for a long time. I took the article from the latest edition of AARP's online newsletter.

Low Dose Aspirin May be Harmful for Healthy Adults

Mayo Clinic can be trusted methinks.  They do not say don't take it, they do however say that only the high risk and previous heart attack patients should. . The risk of course would be stroke.   Taking aspirin with Omega 3 .and say a Motrin all three have anticoagulant effects...thus an increase in your bleeding tendency..  Cerebral hemorrhage ( stroke ) can leave you possibly not dead but certainly not functioning well ...forevermore.  Knowing the risk is extremely important.   Then certainly it's your choice to take or not.  Not being "afraid" of a headline article may in fact be being unaware of consequences. 

Edited by Brundageba

Glad our medical research is on-going. I remember the days when it was a “must do” for men over 50 years to take a 81mg aspirin daily, eat margarine & never use butter, plus drinking coffee was bad for general health. Now it seems these recommendations are reversed. 

Personal choice might be the best answer.

• Upvote 1