Rodny Direct Member Update - Union Fenosa is now Naturgy and all about outages

NewsLady

RD-Site-Logo-Helpline.gif

Member Update

Sept. 23, 2018

To: News Boquete,

First, you should be aware that Union Fenosa is now Naturgy, a worldwide energy supplier based in Spain. When you call in, they now identify themselves as Naturgy. 

Naturgy distributes electricity from hydro-power, fossil fuels, solar and wind plants in Panama and serves over 600,000 customers with electric service. 

Power interruptions

There has been much discussion lately about power outages and how often they happen. In order to understand this problem, I have spoken with a person directly involved in maintenance and upgrading of the electrical system. 

As others have discussed, Boquete is a small town far up the mountain with only one power line coming in. Weather and accidents can and do cause power outages. However, the question remains about why there are more outages now than previously. 

The answer is simple, if not comforting. The electrical system is growing rapidly.

Population is growing and shifting to new suburbs. New shopping malls, clinics and other businesses need more power. As incomes grow, people themselves are using more power for new refrigerators, air conditioners, big screens and appliances. 

In order to meet these growing needs, Naturgy is in a state of continual system upgrades. Whenever a new section is installed, it is necessary to cut the power for the time it takes to connect the new section. This accounts for the increase in outages over and above the usual trees falling and such. 

In addition, the increased demands are resulting in longer response times. If you are not comfortable calling Naturgy yourself, please give me a call so I can make the report for you. 

Power outages and what do do about them

We have all noticed that power outages seem to be increasing in frequency. My Rodny Direct members frequently call me to report an outage to Naturgy. As a result, I have become aware of why some of the outages are happening. 

Why are there so many outages now?

As others have observed, Boquete is a small town far up the mountain with only one power line coming in. Weather and accidents can and do cause power outages. 

However, the electrical system is also growing rapidly.

Population is growing and shifting to new suburbs. New shopping malls, clinics and other businesses need more power. As incomes grow, people themselves are using more power for new refrigerators, air conditioners, big screens and appliances. 

In order to meet these increasing demands, Union Fenosa is in a state of continual system upgrades. Whenever a new section is installed, it is necessary to cut the power for the time it takes to connect the new section. This accounts for the increase in outages over and above the usual trees falling and random problems.

Are there different types of outages?

If an outage is widespread then Naturgy will know about it in short order. 

However, if the outage is local to your neighborhood, Naturgy depends on someone to call it in. Most people just assume that someone else will do it. If no one calls, outages can last much longer than necessary. 

What to do about a power outage

If you think the outage might be local (check Facebook Boquete News to see if others are reporting), then Naturgy needs to be called. The sooner they know about a local outage, the sooner it will be fixed. Of course, you might want to wait a half hour or so to make sure it isn’t just some temporary problem. 

You can certainly call Naturgy yourself. You will need your NIS number (from your electric bill) and be able to navigate a phone tree in Spanish. You will then need to report the problem to the live operator in Spanish. 

Or, you can just call Rodny.

As a Rodny Direct member, your NIS number should be in your personal profile, which only Rodny can access. Just tell him that the power is out and he will take care of the rest. 

In addition, since many of you call to report power outages, he often knows the situation and when it might be resolved. For local power outages, one report is all that is needed. Let Rodny do it for you and spare yourself the aggravation. 

As a reminder, power outage reporting is just one of the Rodny Direct services that make expat life better in Panama

• Substantial medical benefits for procedures and drugs at Mae Lewis hospital
  • Call Rodny for real time translation if you don’t speak good Spanish
  • For emergency roadside assistance - anywhere in Panama!
  • To summon emergency services like an ambulance or the bomberos
  • For help finding a product or service
  • If you are having problems with the police 
  • To report a crime
  • All family members - including your visiting guests - are covered

You have a secure private personal profile that only Rodny can access. It can contain vital information in case of an emergency, including:

• Directions to your house to guide first responders
  • Medical contacts
  • Insurance contacts
  • Legal contacts
  • Family members to contact in an emergency - in any country
  • Your car license number in case your car is stolen
  • Medical conditions that first responders need to be aware of
  • Any additional information that you might want to include, like your pet sitter if you are stuck and can’t get home. 

Any questions? Call me personally at 6573 0141. It is my mission to make your life in Panama easier. 

www.RodnyDirect.com

6446-8850

Any questions? info@rodnydirect.com