Central American Games (Cochabamba, Bolivia) and the Carribean Games (Barranquilla, Colombia) 2018

• Moderators

Taekwonder Carolena Cartens will carry the Panamanian flag in Cochabamba 2018

Sat, 05/12/2018 - 10:50

001BE33F-CE69-4273-9C4E-2F43B5354929.jpeg

The Extraordinary General Assembly of the Olympic Committee of Panama (COP) unanimously chose the Panamanian Olympic taekwonder Carolena Cartens as its standard-bearer for the South American Games in Cochabamba, Bolivia, which will run from May 26 to June 8.

Cartens, who is one of the medal options for Panamanians in these games, won this distinction by 7 votes from the 12 presidents of sports federations who met at the assembly.

With Cartens the Panamanian karate fighter Héctor Cención, who added 3 votes, and the triathlete Petter Vega, who received 2 votes in his favor, were nominated.

"The assembly has been quite intelligent in its choice, it's a girl who won gold in the South American past in Chile and who has been winning medals for Panama and is in a good moment, we are sure she will give us a medal in these games", the president of the COP, Camilo Amado, told ACAN-EFE.

Panama will attend its seventh South American Games, this time will bring 56 athletes, where 40 will be male and 16 female and will compete in 52 of the 377 trials that make up the program of the South American joust.

The Central American country will take athletes to compete in the disciplines: Athletics, Bowling, Boxing, Fencing, Golf, Judo, Karate, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Swimming, Pentathlon, Taekwondo, Triathlon and indoor Football.

Amado said that the South American joust will serve as preparation for the Central American and Caribbean Games in Barranquilla 2018, which will take place from July 19 to August 3.

"In part there is an objective that these games serve for a preparatory event for the other games, but in general the athletes who go to these games want to win," he said.

On the possibilities of medals, the president of the COP said that "the athletes have trained really hard to get to the games as best prepared as possible."

The XI South American Games will be held in Cochabamba from May 26 to June 8, with the participation of 4,531 athletes from 14 countries.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/taekwonder-carolena-cartens-will-carry-panamanian-flag-cochabamba-2018-6832

• Moderators

Andrés Ho receives Panamanian flag for Cochabamba 2018 by Carolena Carstens

Fri, 05/18/2018 - 16:03

Diseño sin título (60)_0.jpg

Andres Ho, the athlete of youth taekwondo, received the Panamanian flag on behalf of the athlete Carolena Carstens today in the flagging event for the South American Games of Cochabamba 2018, which was held in the Gaviota Hall in the Presidency of Panama.

Ho, who will not attend the games in Cochabamba, said he was proud to represent Carstens in this event for it was she who was chosen last week as the Panamanian standard-bearer for said sports competition.

"It is an honor to be receiving our flag on behalf of Carolena Carstens, who is preparing for the South American Games." Both the taekwondo federation and the Panamanian taekwondo community feel proud and pleased of this distinction to our teammate," he said.

Camilo Amado, president of the Olympic Committee of Panama (COP) informed that Carolena Carstens is currently in Bolivia training, precisely for the South American Games.

Panama will take 56 athletes, 40 male and 16 female, to the South American Cochabamba, Bolivia and will compete in 52 of the 377 events that make up the program of the South American joust.

The COP reported today that the Panamanian delegation will travel to Bolivia on May 22.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/andres-ho-receives-panamanian-flag-cochabamba-2018-carolena-carstens-6873

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Central American Games (Cochabamba) and the Carribean Games (Barranquilla) 2018
  • Moderators

Irving Saladino trusts that Panamanian athletics will shine in Barranquilla

Mon, 07/09/2018 - 15:19

Diseño sin título (165).jpg

Panamanian long jump Irving Saladino, gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, told Efe today that he trusts that the track and field athletes from Panama will go to the Central American Games and the Carribean Barranquilla 2018, will have a good performance and will climb the podium.

"In recent years athletics has made good performances, although we lack a great leadership that encourages athletes to continue training, but despite all that we hope that the athletes who compete in these games can shine, get their best record and be on the podium," he said.

Saladino said Panama will attend the Central American and Caribbean Games in Barranquilla 2018 with a significant representation (123 athletes) and with several objectives in the sports competition.

"As usual, Panama has a significant representation for the country; we hope the athletes can get their best results, can bring to Panama glories and record and others have a good experience," said the former athlete.

The Central American and Caribbean Games 2018 will take place from July 19 to August 3 in Barranquilla, Colombia.

On 10 years of the gold medal he won at the Olympic Games in Beijing 2008, which will be held on August 18, Saladino said he had plans to celebrate, but they will have to be postponed for personal reasons.

"I had great plans to celebrate 10 years of my Olympic medal, but many things have happened and I will not be able to fulfill what I had in mind. For those days I will not be in the country, but I will see what I do when I return," he said.

The athlete said he is still happy to win that historic medal and that day, on August 18, he will mention it on social networks.

"That gold medal is still a symbol for the country olympically," he said.

Saladino, beyond the triumph in the Bird's Nest pit in Beijing, in his heart and mind he keeps another moment in that 2008.

"Frankly, what remains in my memory at that moment was the reception of the Panamanian people. It was amazing, I will never forget it, because 10 years later, I watch the videos and they moves me. I will never forget it," he said.

The Olympic jumper took the opportunity to point out that he still has aspirations to be a leader of Panamanian athletics, but he has stopped his march in this period because he has other plans, including adding a university career to his resume.

"Now I am studying public administration. I wanted to improve my curriculum to present it to people. I’m interested in getting well prepared for the job, and not just because Irving Saladino is the Olympic medalist," he said.

He added he will always support the athletics board, as well as the athletes, even if he is not part of the leadership of the Panamanian Athletics Federation.

"I'm always there to support with all my heart, I'm one of those who want athletics to return to the magnitude it had in previous years," he said.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/irving-saladino-trusts-panamanian-athletics-will-shine-barranquilla-7284

• Moderator_02 changed the title to Central American Games (Cochabamba, Bolivia) and the Carribean Games (Barranquilla, Colombia) 2018
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Edgar Crespo bathes in gold in Barranquilla 2018

Tue, 07/24/2018 - 10:33

Normal (10)_0.jpg

In an outstanding performance, the Panamanian swimmer Edgar Crespo delivered the first gold medal for Panama at the Central American and Caribbean Games Barranquilla 2018, with a victory in the 50 meters chest style.

The tritón canalero got his place to the final with a time of 27.79 seconds in his series, and took the victory with a record of 27.56 seconds, which became a new brand for the Games.

On his way to gold, he surpassed the representatives of Mexico, Mauro Castillo Luna; and Colombia, Carlos Mahecha Pinto, who reached 36 and 37 hundredths of a second of the winner.

Crespo, of 29 years and one meter 80 of stature, had finished sixth in the 100 meters chest test, which was disputed last Saturday, and still has to face 200 meters chest and relay 4x100 free and 4x100 combined.

His medal also allows Panama to climb a position, moving from position 13 to 12 of the medal table of the competition.

Panama's first triumph in baseball at the expense of Colombia's unbeaten

The Panamanian baseball team won its first victory in the Games by beating by 8-1 a Colombia that was undefeated so far.

All the Panamanian races were produced in the fifth inning, with a combination of six hits, a pitch and a sacrifice fly. The best at-bats were Eduardo Thomas with three hits, and Gerald Chin, Kevin Ramos, Jhadiel Santamaria, Pedro Aguilar, Rodrigo Torres and Hector de la Cruz with two each.

With the victory, Panama leaves its balance of wins and losses in 1-2 and leaves the last place in the table.

Normal (9).jpg

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/edgar-crespo-bathes-gold-barranquilla-2018-7390

• Moderators

Kristine Jiménez gets the second gold medal for Panama in Barranquilla 2018

Tue, 07/31/2018 - 12:44

Normal (50).jpg

Judoka Kristine Jiménez became the second athlete to win a gold medal for Panama at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Barranquilla in 2018, when she won the category of 52 kilograms.

Jiménez defeated the Mexican Luz Olveras by two shido and one ippon, in a clear demonstration of technical superiority.

Prior to Olveras, the Panamanian had imposed on the Cuban Nahomys Acosta and the Haitian Sabiana Anestor.

Jiménez joins Edgar Crespo in this way as the gold medalists for the country in this edition of the Games, and they take Panama to improve their performance four years ago, in which they obtained a total of seven medals, with only one of gold.

On Monday the fencer Eileen Grench in Female Individual Saber also won a silver medal and the boxer Jonathan Miniel won a bronze medal in the category of 60 kilograms, and will add at least one silver in women's boxing, where Elisa Williams will play the final of 60 kilograms.

With four days to go before the end of the competition, Panama is ranked 11th in the medal table, with a harvest of two gold, three silver and four bronze metals, and with another gold medal it could overtake the Bahamas.

Mexico has virtually been proclaimed the champion of the games, with 104 gold medals, while Colombia and Cuba followed with 54 gold.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/kristine-jimenez-gets-second-gold-medal-panama-barranquilla-2018-7449

• Moderators

Panama enters Barranquilla 2018 Top 10 with judo

Tue, 07/31/2018 - 17:06

Normal (54).jpg

Judoka Miryam Roper won the gold medal in the 57 kilogram category, giving Panama its third gold medal at the Central American and Caribbean Games Barranquilla 2018 ranking 10th in the medal display table.

The Panamanian athlete held a close match against Cuban Anailys Dorvigny in the final of the competition, but ended up winning two shido and one wazari, to end with a score of 1-0.

On the way she beat Nicaraguan Sayra Laguna, by 10-0, and Dominican Ana Rosa with a convincing 12-0.

With the medal, Panama wins three gold, three silver and four bronze, and jumps ahead of the Bahamas into the 10th place, overtly exceeding the performance achieved four years ago at the Veracruz Games in Mexico.

The competition, which is three days before its closure, has already been virtually won by Mexico with 106 golden medals. It is followed by Cuba, which with 62 gold displaced the host representation.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/panama-enters-barranquilla-2018-top-10-judo-7454

• Moderators

Panama ranks 11th on the medal table in Barranquilla 2018

Fri, 08/03/2018 - 13:18

Normal (77).jpg

The Panamanian representation closed its participation in the XXIII edition of the Central American and Caribbean Games, held in Barranquilla, ranking eleventh place of the medal table.

During the competition, Panama won three gold, five silver and five bronze medals, and only one gold medal prevented it from holding the Bahamas’ tenth place.

The performance of the Panamanian athletes was similar to the one of Maracaibo 1998, when three gold metals were collected, including six silver and four bronze, ranking third best after those of Mexico 90 and Maracaibo 98.

The success of the Panamanian representation was thanks to the great performances of athletes such as Edgar Crespo, who won a gold in swimming, or the judokas Kristine Jiménez and Miryam Roper, who won in their respective categories.

It is also important to highlight that the participation of: sprinter Alonso Edward, second in the 200 meters; Elisa Williams, finalist in women's boxing; Christofer Jurado, who grazed the gold in road cycling; Eileen Grench, silver medalist in the female saber; or Carolena Carstens, who fulfilled her task in taekwondo.

This result is more than meritorious, since many sports are in full development of their relief generation, which will be responsible for taking the lead in the 24th edition of the Central American and Caribbean Games, which will be held in Panama City in 2022.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/panama-ranks-11th-medal-table-barranquilla-2018-7477

• Moderators

Barranquilla 2018 Panamanian baseball player tested positive for doping

Mon, 08/06/2018 - 21:56

Diseño sin título (23).jpg

A baseball player of the Panamanian national team that competed in the Central American and Caribbean Games Barranquilla 2018 tested positive for anabolic, in a doping test prior to the games, a sorce reported to EFE today.

"The control was not in the Barranquilla Games, it was a control out of competition, two weeks prior to the regional competition," said the source linked to the world anti-doping movement.

The player was controlled by the anabolic Stanozolol (Winstrol), which according to the source is "prohibited at all times."

The source said that "the player's name cannot be revealed until the Panamanian Baseball Federation (Fedebeis) finishes the process of notification, hearing and sanction."

"Fedebeis was notified a week ago (...) they must be in that process," said the interviewee.

Regarding the sanction that can fall upon the infringing athlete, it "may be 4 years" of suspension, although "we must see aggravating and mitigating causes determined by the hearing," he said.

In the Barranquilla 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games, which took place from July 19 to August 3, around 700 anti-doping controls were conducted inside and outside the competition, while in Panama before the joust, about 20 tests were made, the expert expressed.

http://www.panamatoday.com/sports/barranquilla-2018-panamanian-baseball-player-tested-positive-doping-7499